A&H

Open Age Pre-match routine

The Referee Store
Okay.... clarify for you, as I have never had to for any players. Coaches and parents will talk and that will be dealt with accordingly, but it will not be tolerated from players. Now what do you think I would if the players should infringe on any of the LOTG???

So you ARE dealing with it from players, even though unless I read it wrong, you state, we WILL NOT deal with it from players?

as Ben says, 100% your pre match guff is a waste of time, not just yours, but anybody's, total complete nonsense and in your own wee world it might be doing some good, and that's fine. But, its not.

Okay.... clarify for you, as I have never had to for any players. Coaches and parents will talk and that will be dealt with accordingly, but it will not be tolerated from players. Now what do you think I would if the players should infringe on any of the LOTG???

Well, hopefully issue a card, but, by your own admission, that would make you a weak referee, so, am confused tbh

If you read it you'll after telling then I will not take their lip/chatter/critique I also tell them not to help me do my job. Pre game is crap you say.. I've done it ever game I do never failed me. I have a pre game with my ARs also every before game

Are you being serious or are you joking? I said "a weak referee relies on cards to control games". At no point did I say or imply one should not use cards.

If it works for you great, are you not though preventing yourself from being proactive, say, Blue 9 getting a bit mouthy, I might in passing tell captain, "hey, gonna tell 9 to calm it", well, captain in your game can say "you told me not to help you do your job?"
So that's one management style up the chuff, and if you would be classed as weak to show cards, well, that only leaves, ignoring things, as an option now?

Wow... do you ref or play. I have been doing this for some time now. Never had to explain what my instruction mean to any player at any age. But here I am having to breakdown something simple. The players get it, and they do so the first time around. I have only issued 4 cards in any one game. And the 4 came about one player got 2 yellows resulting in a red, so 4 cards between 2 players.

Wow... do you ref or play. I have been doing this for some time now. Never had to explain what my instruction mean to any player at any age. But here I am having to breakdown something simple. The players get it, and they do so the first time around. I have only issued 4 cards in any one game. And the 4 came about one player got 2 yellows resulting in a red, so 4 cards between 2 players.

And nail on head, you have never had to explain the instruction, because, they don't listen, they hear you but they are not listening
I am actually taking an interest in what you are saying and that's the difference, you might not to date have had someone who is interested in what you are saying, hence your bewilderment, your not used to the instructions being digested and thus you struggle to find a response.

It sounds like you are being condescending, I apologize if I'm wrong.
But when you say things like what you just said "nail on the head..." remark. I don't know if you are reading what is written. Because I did tell you I've NEVER issued more than 4 cards in any one game. That is because the heard what I said in my pre game, and I show them I mean it. And Ben suggested throwing cards, I don't have to do that. I have gotten calls for multiple tournaments which I feel attests to the job I do. So they must be listening.

I'm actually coaching my 17y son on proper game control. He doesn't have to do my pre game speech, but he has to set the tone before the game starts or it'll be hard to keep control. Then he'll turn into those horrible refs who fight to keep control with cards.

But when you say things like what you just said "nail on the head..." remark. I don't know if you are reading what is written. Because I did tell you I've NEVER issued more than 4 cards in any one game. That is because the heard what I said in my pre game, and I show them I mean it. And Ben suggested throwing cards, I don't have to do that. I have gotten calls for multiple tournaments which I feel attests to the job I do. So they must be listening.

Fine line between condescending and being brutal with the truth. Hard to separate the two by means of type. You would need to see the emotion to decide which was which. Not issuing more than 4 cards in any game is not an achievement, there is nothing to measure how many cards is acceptable or an achievement, what you don't mention is how many cautions you should have taken but did not.
Tournaments, depends on where you are, in my part of the world, we struggle for numbers and global emails are sent out begging for refs, so again, its good you are doing these things but in reality, its just a referee to cover a game.
What would be impressive and testament to your ritual would be if your FIFA observer or equal handed you say, an 8.7 for example, or you hit a season of say, 6 marks 8.5 or above. Now, that indeed would shut me up and make me sprinkle rose petals at your preachings.

They are not just tools we choose to use, there are situations where they are mandatory.
its entirely possible to do 3/4/5 games without a card then have 2 reds per game for 2 games
the correct number of cards to have....is the number that were needed.
a supposed boast of "i take max 4 per game" means less than nothing

They are not just tools we choose to use, there are situations where they are mandatory.
its entirely possible to do 3/4/5 games without a card then have 2 reds per game for 2 games
the correct number of cards to have....is the number that were needed.
a supposed boast of "i take max 4 per game" means less than nothing
Totally agree with you.
The more I ref, the more cards I’m giving.
It’s also directly proportionate to the age groups. I tend to do U18/U17 and adults now.

Had my first delaying restart the other day. Player ran 15/20 yards to prevent a quick free kick and then was surprised to get a yellow as you’re “allowed to stand on the ball”.
He actually rolled the ball with his foot a metre or so. Thought he’d been booked for kicking the ball away at first.

I just worried some newer referee reads or takes an impression that more than 4 cards means you are losing it

Looking back, some of the best displays and indeed best games of football I have observed this season, have involved a lot of cards, there really is no logic to how it works, look at Webb, low card count? yet, 14 or so in his biggest game?

I just worried some newer referee reads or takes an impression that more than 4 cards means you are losing it

Looking back, some of the best displays and indeed best games of football I have observed this season, have involved a lot of cards, there really is no logic to how it works, look at Webb, low card count? yet, 14 or so in his biggest game?
Agree again.
I think the most I’ve given out is 5 in one match; but only because nothing else merited a caution, in my opinion.

Just to be clear, I never suggested throwing cards, merely that they are an excellent form of match control and more effective than words (based on my extensive experience as a player, although the majority of people on here will have more relevant views as a ref as I am relatively inexperienced and I'm working at a low level). On most occasions, the matches control themselves, particularly kids games. But if there's a bad tackle or dissent, I've long since abandoned words for high level offences, strsight to the cherry and lemons

Last edited:
Back