A&H

Open Age Pre-match routine

Wolfy123

In open age football what is everyone's routines specifically to do with talking to the players pre-match?
Do you speak to the team when they are all together, if so what do you say to them? What do you say to the captains before the coin toss?
I'm often unsure on what needs to be conveyed which might make the running of the game more smooth...

The Referee Store
Said all sorts over the years till I hit upon keeping it really simple. Play to the whistle, if I'm talking to you there's a reason for it, I'm in charge, enjoy your game.

Turn up 30 mins before (20 this Sunday as no changing rooms!), greet managers, quick chat, get team sheets, get them to tell all their players to remove any jewellery or I'll be stopping the game and the offending player will have to go off and remove it (get them to do part of my job for me!), quick warm up, very short chat with skippers, coin toss and off we go

I don't give it the big'un with the players before the game. Whatever you say is likely to be taken down and used against you. I stick to an informal chin-wag about kit and so on and merely wish them luck
They'll soon find out about me when the game kicks off. I don't even give any instruction to the captains as they're often unsuitable for the role. If they're any good as a skipper, I'll user them during the game, otherwise they're just another customer
Incidentally, when I was captain, I was a demanding player, but I tended to do captain's duties. I recall bear hugging my own dismissed players off the pitch on numerous occasions when they refused to go

Last edited:
Said all sorts over the years till I hit upon keeping it really simple. Play to the whistle, if I'm talking to you there's a reason for it, I'm in charge, enjoy your game.
They already know all that. I am willing to put my house on it :). Just toss the coin and get on with the game. It's your actions in the first 10 minutes that set the tone for the rest of the game and makes it smoother to run.

Keep it short and sweet, if there were kids watching i'd ask them to particulally watch their language, other than that... Good luck and enjoy the game!!

Like many members, I don't talk to entire teams, coaches & Captains are the only people that I personally engage with prior to the KO
The captains will be given any chat that I require passing onto the rest of the team, while the coaches will be advised what is acceptable & what is not :)

I don't chat to the players prior to the match - I was taught not to bother tbh, they're usually not interested.

I have started talking to the managers before a match now, but that's due to disability requirements as I have certain leeway to do things differently, so the managers need to be informed prior to the match just so everything is clear and above board. They still forget though! :p

At the coin toss, just a hand shake, "have a good game", that's it for me.

I don't say anything to the teams. Just speak to the captains at the toss and that's it.

Reminds me of a fortnight ago. Lines invisible unless you're stood next to them. "Skippers, look around this pitch, can you see any lines because I can't. Remind your players to play to the whistle!". 2 mins later, "****** hell ref that's gone out", screams the captain. Ppfft

Reactions: JH
I don't say anything to the teams. Just speak to the captains at the toss and that's it.

100% this
am as minimal contact with anybody as possible.

can I open this out and ask, to anyone who does give their spiel, what on earth do you say please? Am gen interested

Last edited:
Keep it short and sweet, if there were kids watching i'd ask them to particulally watch their language, other than that... Good luck and enjoy the game!!
Agreed, keep it brief. Players aren't interested in what you might have to say pre match. They're big boys/girls and know perfectly well what is allowed or no allowed.

They already know all that. I am willing to put my house on it :). Just toss the coin and get on with the game. It's your actions in the first 10 minutes that set the tone for the rest of the game and makes it smoother to run.
But you'd not be surprised by the number of players who seem to think they are in charge and can therefore ignore the whistle..............I found it helpful to remind them.....worked for me

Reactions: one
When I’m doing youth matches I often get asked if I want to speak to the teams prior to kick off: I never do.
I make a point of having a chat with each manager. This gives me chance to be ‘human’ in their eyes. Have a laugh with them.
If something needs bringing to their attention then I do it then also- faint lines etc.
To the captains I rarely say anything instruction wise. I did once, and the message wasn’t relayed to the team anyway.
Last week I did an U18 on a pitch next to an U8 and I told them I didn’t want Loud swearing etc as there are kids close by- this was actually listened to; I couldn’t believe it!
If I had faint lines, I always mention it to captains too as this gives me room on the pitch to say “skipper, what did I say at coin toss?” In these cases the captains usually acknowledge it and get on with it.

I find that engaging players during play helps control much more than speaking beforehand. I’m always happy to explain a decision (not debate it) and this really works at helping keep things in my control

i always make small talk with both managers/secretaries. I'll talk to any players before the game and at the equipment inspection but it's chit chat, not about the game. At the coin toss I introduce myself to the captains and tell them if I need their help I'll call them in. If I have no NARs I'll tell them we won't be falling out over offside decisions. It takes 15-20 seconds then we do the coin toss.

I brief about the lines as the team I regularly ref in Saturday mornings play at a school who hardly ever mark them. Might have a 5 second word regarding dissent etc, depends on the teams. Sometimes I say absolutely nothing before the toss. Depends on the teams

Before I check each team I give them my expectations for the game.

We will be hearing from your parents and coaches, that we will deal with, but we will not deal with it from players.
You are here to play, we are here to referee. We won't help you to play your game, so I would appreciate it if you do not help us do ours.
Keep the game clean, refrain from retaliation plays, Play my whistle.

Before I check each team I give them my expectations for the game.

We will be hearing from your parents and coaches, that we will deal with, but we will not deal with it from players.
You are here to play, we are here to referee. We won't help you to play your game, so I would appreciate it if you do not help us do ours.
Keep the game clean, refrain from retaliation plays, Play my whistle.

Can I ask, based on that, you are giving players free range and pot shots at you, as you are saying you will not deal with anything you hear coming from players? Unless am not reading it correctly?
If there is retaliation play, what do you do, given you have asked them to refrain from it?
Also, what is the alternative to "play my whistle?" is there an option 2?

The players won't listen or care for what you say. That's just the reality. Using phrases like "keep the game clean" will in no way encourage players to change their style of play,unless they are 9 or 10 etc and will actually be influenced by a refs words. I reckon I've had over 100 pre match chats with refs and we listened because we had to and when the ref walked away we usually took the micky or just ignored it. That's just the reality. Now the ref using actions/cards to keep the game clean, thay will be noticed by the players!

Okay.... clarify for you, as I have never had to for any players. Coaches and parents will talk and that will be dealt with accordingly, but it will not be tolerated from players. Now what do you think I would if the players should infringe on any of the LOTG???

Back