A&H

Pre match chat with teams

MumRef

What do you say to the teams before the match? I keep switching my pre match patter and am not sure of the best version yet.

The Referee Store
As little as possible. I am never a fan of the pre-match lecture to the teams... yes, speak with the Coach/Captain about your expectations, but the rest of the players - in one ear, out the other....
Agree. The exceptions on that, in youth games, for me is if there is something unusual about the field (e.g., and overhanging tree),,, I'll typically tell the teams, not just the captains. And if it is playoffs, I may tell the teams the ROC for today (e.g., no extra time, straight to KFTM).

The thing I think is a mistake that some refs make is trying to tell players how they are going to call the game, which IMO helps nothing and can box the ref in negative ways.

When I played amateur (open age park football in Scotland) I rarely remember a refs pre match that I found insightful and necessary. On the contrary, it often made the ref seem busy and overly about himself.

With this in mind, once I started refereeing I avoid any pre match chats with full teams and just let my management of the game do the talking.

It’s very easy to come across poorly prematch and get players backs up unnecessarily.

Naff all. Just chat to captains pre-match. They’ve all heard it before, and have no desire to hear it again, you don’t need to stitch yourself up. Just be pleasant.

Here we talk to the coaches very briefly - quick hello, team sheet OK, any questions, no, good. If it’s a bigger game with a ceremonial equipment check and line up, then the timing/instructions are agreed. I’ll whistle you out 5 mins before.

The captains? You are home, you are away, heads or tails!

The teams? Never.

Nothing to the teams, to the captains I keep it short such as "you guys are captains for a reason, you know your players better than I do so help me to manage them. We're all here for a game of football so if you want to play, I'll stay out of your way, but if you don't then I've got a job to do."

I ask name of captains, brief 20 second chat around my dissent tolerance being zero and I expect captains to deal with players. Toss coin, have a good game.
That's a dangerous approach in my opinion, the first time there is any kind of dissent and you don't caution for it your match control is at risk.

That's a dangerous approach in my opinion, the first time there is any kind of dissent and you don't caution for it your match control is at risk.
I get that point and can see it. However, I have found I’ve encountered very little from stating that early. Any I have received have been cautioned. Will look at for future! Thank you

Why bother?
The players aren't interested in what you think or want. Complete waste of time.

I just have my (literally) 5 second spiel to both Captains in the middle before doing the coin toss.

@MumRef - when did anything you said before a match influence how the players behaved or spoke toward you? 😉🙂👍

Why bother?
The players aren't interested in what you think or want. Complete waste of time.

I just have my (literally) 5 second spiel to both Captains in the middle before doing the coin toss.

@MumRef - when did anything you said before a match influence how the players behaved or spoke toward you? 😉🙂👍
This. I say nothing to teams before hand about the game, just general small talk and even with the captains I barely say anything and just get straight into the coin toss. I used to give them a few words but their minds wander and none of them take it in. Let’s just do the toss and get on with the game

I don't say anything special in 99% if my games, just your call, have a good one.

If I know that it's a high-level game between rivals that might have a bit of extra emotion in it, I will say something to the captains to the effect of "I know it's likely to be a bit spirited today, if you hear or feel one of your guys getting a bit over the top, help me out and try to bring him down so I won't have to get involved".

Before the grand final this year I said "I've got nothing special to say today lads, you never listen to me anyway". Both captains laughed and we shook hands in good spirits to start the match. Whether it made a difference or not, there were only a couple of yellow cards and one moment of dissent in the match.

I've found that reminding captains of their responsibility to control their players does have some benefits during the game.

If a player is pushing their luck, I can call the captain over and say "Remember what we discussed before the game? Apply that to this player before I have to take action." It shortcuts the time you have to spend around an angry player and means that when you do call the captain in, you're not starting that process from scratch, you're already at step 2 at the process of making captains believe you will follow through on warnings.

I've found that reminding captains of their responsibility to control their players does have some benefits during the game.

If a player is pushing their luck, I can call the captain over and say "Remember what we discussed before the game? Apply that to this player before I have to take action." It shortcuts the time you have to spend around an angry player and means that when you do call the captain in, you're not starting that process from scratch, you're already at step 2 at the process of making captains believe you will follow through on warnings.
I often find the captains are the worst of the offenders, in the first place lol

I often find the captains are the worst of the offenders, in the first place lol
Often true - but the same idea of it being a useful headstart still applies, perhaps even more so.

Call them over, say "Remember what we talked about before we started? This is an example of the kind of unacceptable dissent that I was telling you would need to be controlled" and you're already further down the line than you would be if you'd said nothing at the start.

Back