A&H

Postponing a game due to the temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.
I respect your service but it’s hardly relevant to the dilemma faced here.
And neither is you having to wear a coat, hi Vis, and hard hat in a foundry.

So far not one person has agreed with you.

You've had evidence posted that New South Wales recommend games are postponed at 37 or higher for adults and 32 or higher for children. Are they pampering?

You have been provided evidence that the 2022 would cup is being played between November and December, when average temperatures are much closer to what we would be used to in the summer, and that the stadiums will has state of the art technology that cod reduce temperatures in the stadium by upt to 20 degrees. Are they pampering?

The World Health Organisation recommend that people should avoid going out at the hottest times of the day, and that strenuous activity should be avoided, but if it has to be done then it should be done first thing in the morning when temperatures are lower. Are they pampering?

No one is saying games shouldn't be played if it is warm, I specifically stated in my opening post that it was about extreme temperatures.

Why do you think that playing a football match in 38 degree heat is safe? Do you have anything to back up your opinion, or is it just because you like to be a contrarian and just disagree with people?

The Referee Store
I respect your service but it’s hardly relevant to the dilemma faced here.

Ok despite trying very hard not to, I'm going to bite.

Neither were your points on you visiting various workplaces.

By your own admission you are no longer involved in refereeing and when you were you showed no desire to progress beyond a Junior County Referee, yet you constantly attempt to demean anyone who dares to want to do anything more than that in the game and seem to want to take an opposing point of view on everything posted here by any other referee.

OP asked a valid question here. In the UK it's been unseasonably hot over the past few days and for the most part there is no guidance from the County FA's or the Leagues, my suspicion is because it's pre season and the "competitive" games have not yet started, so this forum does have potential to be a good place to garner opinions based on the collective experience of the group.

IMHO hijacking the thread with what you are doing in your job, then out of hand dismissing another member for their response adds zero value to this post or to the overall forum itself.

Geez, a lot if testosterone on show this morning.
Let’s look for reasons to play games and not reasons to go home. It’s not always about you!
Water breaks work all over the world, except here apparently! My bad!

Ieveryone including myself is well used to the temperature
That’s the key point here isn’t it, you’re used to it. We in the UK are not used to running around in extreme temperatures.

Would you take a dog out for a walk in this heat in the UK after being given guidance not to and knowing it could do them harm? No you wouldn’t, so why ignore advice as human beings?

Can’t wait till it gets a bit colder, they’ll be threads on Snowflake Alerts and going home early with gloves on! Anything for a morning off with a full fee! 😎

Can’t wait till it gets a bit colder, they’ll be threads on Snowflake Alerts and going home early with gloves on! Anything for a morning off with a full fee! 😎

Ok then, are people in New South Wales who advise games to be postponed if the temperature is about 37 for adults or 32 for children over reacting?

Water breaks alone are not enough, stopping to drink water for a minute will not prevent heat stroke or dehydration.

I am finding this Forum so frustrating. As a new referee there is some really great advice on here which I find invaluable.

However, there is a horrible tone to some of these threads that has me considering leaving the forum.

I appreciate that as a referee I will need to put up with a lot from players, coaches, parents etc. However, I should not have to worry about putting up with comments from fellow referee's. I am at the point now where I don't feel comfortable commenting on posts due to replies I may get.

Not really sure what else to say or what I'm expecting from this post. Just really feel the need to say something.

Geez, a lot if testosterone on show this morning.
Let’s look for reasons to play games and not reasons to go home. It’s not always about you!
Water breaks work all over the world, except here apparently! My bad!

Except in the 2022 world cup where it is being played in November and December, instead of over the summer like normal, and where they are building stadiums with state of the art equipment to lower the temperature.

Or in New South Wales, where they recommend that matches involving adults are postponed if the temperature is 37 or above, or 32 or above for children.

Or in Spain where all the La Liga games kick off between 1600 and 2000. So after the hottest part the day has passed.

But obviously, you know best...

It's probably a good job you don't referee as the players wouldn't be safe with you in charge
500+ games suggest the contrary
~ 5 times the experience you have
you like to be a contrarian and just disagree with people
Remind you of anyone?

@Sheffields Finest , you seem to be the target of zzz's trolling. The effort to defame your opinion with pitifully lengthy lectures can't be described as anything else. Not sure why you entertain the harassment
My three thoughts on the subject of hot weather
1. I'd do everything possible to get the game played
2. This may involve me coming of the game a few days in advance
3. The FA need to think about publishing something official as the weather patterns suggest these extreme temperatures are becoming climatically significant

Last edited:
I am finding this Forum so frustrating. As a new referee there is some really great advice on here which I find invaluable.

However, there is a horrible tone to some of these threads that has me considering leaving the forum.

I appreciate that as a referee I will need to put up with a lot from players, coaches, parents etc. However, I should not have to worry about putting up with comments from fellow referee's. I am at the point now where I don't feel comfortable commenting on posts due to replies I may get.

Not really sure what else to say or what I'm expecting from this post. Just really feel the need to say something.
100% agree, If you post what a few members dont agree with you're in the firing line... The tone from a few is gnawing.
I'll continue to stand up for common sense and free speech and maybe an alternative view, doesn't mean i'm right, just means i have an alternative view!

500+ games to suggest the contrary
~ 5 times the experience you have
You don't know how many games I've done, or what experience I have.

Remind you of anyone?
less
@Sheffields Finest , you seem to be the target of zzz's trolling. The effort to defame your opinion with pitifully lengthy lectures can't be described as anything else. Not sure why you entertain the harassment
It's not trolling @Sheffields Finest came on here and the first thing he did was insult me by implying that the thought of postponing a game due to extreme temperatures must be a "southern thing", I'm not southern I'm northern, but hey let's not let facts get in the way.

He then tries to say that FIFA don't care about the temperature as the 2022 world cup is going to be held in Qatar.

I proved him wrong as the 2022 world cup is not being held at the normal time of year, and the stadiums are being built with state of the art technology to lower the temperature.

It was around this point that @one posted about the advice given in New South Wales.

@Sheffields Finest then chipped in with how his car said it was hot but he didn't need pampering, it was then pointed out that sitting in a car doesn't equate to playing a football match.

He then tries to say that he knows best because he had to wear a coat, hi-vis, and hard hat in a foundry.

I countered with my experiences in Afghanistan, but apparently that wasn't relevant.

All I'm asking @Sheffields Finest is his thoughts on:

The 2022 world cup being held in November and December and with stadiums built with technology to lower the temperature.

New South Wales advising games should not go ahead if the temperature is 37 or over for adults or 32 or over for children.

La Liga not playing any games during the hostess part of the day, with most kicking off after 1900.

It's not trolling, he maintains he is correct, despite advise from the World Health Organisation suggesting he is wrong, and that FIFA obviously think high temperatures need to be dealt with (by changing the dates the tournament is run etc)

I think you make a good point @Ref253
There's quite a few reasons for friction imo
1. After you've posted 1000+ messages, any personality conflicts are likely to surface regardless of the subject material
2. The LOTG aren't that clear so we referees are at odds with one another over inconsistent teachings and other vagary
3. There is a general conflict caused by generational gap, both in terms of refereeing philosophy but also the direction in which the game is heading
4. We are all football fans to some extent and this can spill over when we each become blinkered at times

I'd encourage anyone to stick with the forum because it's an invaluable learning resource. Skim over the squabbles which you're not interested in, but some are worth sticking with because there's nothing wrong with a bit of personality. Unfortunately, some of the more interesting characters have left, which is a shame as it's they who used to tease out the best learning points

Last edited:
You don't know how many games I've done, or what experience I have.

It's not trolling @Sheffields Finest came on here and the first thing he did was insult me by implying that the thought of postponing a game due to extreme temperatures must be a "southern thing", I'm not southern I'm northern, but hey let's not let facts get in the way.

He then tries to say that FIFA don't care about the temperature as the 2022 world cup is going to be held in Qatar.

I proved him wrong as the 2022 world cup is not being held at the normal time of year, and the stadiums are being built with state of the art technology to lower the temperature.

It was around this point that @one posted about the advice given in New South Wales.

@Sheffields Finest then chipped in with how his car said it was hot but he didn't need pampering, it was then pointed out that sitting in a car doesn't equate to playing a football match.

He then tries to say that he knows best because he had to wear a coat, hi-vis, and hard hat in a foundry.

I countered with my experiences in Afghanistan, but apparently that wasn't relevant.

All I'm asking @Sheffields Finest is his thoughts on:

The 2022 world cup being held in November and December and with stadiums built with technology to lower the temperature.

New South Wales advising games should not go ahead if the temperature is 37 or over for adults or 32 or over for children.

La Liga not playing any games during the hostess part of the day, with most kicking off after 1900.

It's not trolling, he maintains he is correct, despite advise from the World Health Organisation suggesting he is wrong, and that FIFA obviously think high temperatures need to be dealt with (by changing the dates the tournament is run etc)

Expecting 30-32C in November in Doha! If it ever happens! Everyone moans that it will be too hot!!!

It was 48.8C (120F) for one of the games in the USA World Cup of 1994 and no-one moaned!! Must be a turn of the century thing!!

Expecting 30-32C in November in Doha! If it ever happens! Everyone moans that it will be too hot!!!

It was 48.8C (120F) for one of the games in the USA World Cup of 1994 and no-one moaned!! Must be a turn of the century thing!!

I would play a game in 30 degrees, but dont forget they want to have technology in the stadiums to take that down further.

I can't comment on the 1994 world cup, but it wouldn't surprise me, but those were professional atheletes with doctors etc on stand by, not grass roots players down the local park whose medical cover is big baz with a damp spong that has some interesting stains.

Personally id probably be happy refereeing upto 34ish, depending on humidity etc, I know what I'm capable of, but also accept that at those temperatures I wouldn't be able to go a full 90 minutes like normal, so would have to work harder getting good angles etc rather than relying on speed and the like.

It's not about looking for ways to not play a match, it's about what we should be thinking about in a particular situation. In this case that situation is temperatures that are well above what is normal in the UK.

At 37/38 degrees at grass roots just having a couple of water breaks won't be sufficient,

There’s one or two people you’ll learn to ignore because they still think it’s the 80’s. Just breeze past that as on the whole, you’ll get good advice on here

There’s one or two people you’ll learn to ignore because they still think it’s the 80’s
The world was a better place when A-Ha played on the radio all day!. Seriously though, some of us are not living in the past just because we think certain things have changed for the worse. The forum seems to be very dismissive of anyone comparing past and present, presumably born out a notion that the world is in some tunnel of improvement. It's not and nor is football, which is why some of us bleat about 'progress'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back