A&H

Positioning at attacking FK’s that are being crossed into the box?

Will_A

Level 4 Referee
I’ve had a few observations lately where my positioning for wide attacking free kicks has been picked up on.

We had a specific session on this at an FA CORE meeting and were told to position ourselves as per the image attached. Yet I’ve been repeatedly criticised by observers for this ever since as they feel I’m not seeing my assistant or the kicker (despite seeing them both in my peripherals)🤦🏻

I’m interested to see where other officials position themselves and why?

Attachments

• B1650B6E-4D36-46F2-B3C1-5C8AE6F9FD8F.jpeg
    B1650B6E-4D36-46F2-B3C1-5C8AE6F9FD8F.jpeg
    78.5 KB · Views: 66
The Referee Store
I’ve had a few observations lately where my positioning for wide attacking free kicks has been picked up on.

We had a specific session on this at an FA CORE meeting and were told to position ourselves as per the image attached. Yet I’ve been repeatedly criticised by observers for this ever since as they feel I’m not seeing my assistant or the kicker (despite seeing them both in my peripherals)🤦🏻

I’m interested to see where other officials position themselves and why?
This is interesting, I’ve always stood slightly more central, in line with the centre of the goal but just outside the box.
Frustrating about the observers, because if you can see when how can they mark you down?!

Am six yards to the left here also, any further right and am too close to my Ar/got same view of things as them
Agree - for me that's the optimum position to be able to see everything. Another foreseeable issue with a position so far right is dealing with potential hand ball as the ball is whipped in - you'll likely be looking through too many players

I used to position myself more to the left, roughly in line with the left hand goal post and this always served me well.

I only moved following a training session with my coaches! 🤦🏻

Page 186, 187 in lotg has 4 examples and that all want you on the left. Below is a couple. I'd stay on the left but not in the way of the flight of the ball of course.

Screenshot_20220213-025523.jpg

For me it depends on where the players are setting up, and also whether it is likely to be an inswinger or an outswinger. The argument for going a long way to the right, as is being taught recently, is to let you open your body up so that you can have sight of the kicker and the mass of players. The downside is you are looking at the backs of the attackers and front of the defenders which makes spotting holding and pushing very difficult. Whereas if you come left to the traditional position you have more of an angled view.

The one place you definitely don't want to be, especially for deeper free kicks, is directly between the kicker and where the ball is likely to end up. You risk the ball hitting you if it miskicked, but you'll also be looking over your shoulder at the taker and taking your eyes off of the important area. I'd also quite happily support a referee starting out quite wide on the left as long as he then moves towards the mass of players as the ball is in the air.

Prob with coaching here is

you stand where you think best, and miss something, you be told, told you so

when its purely been per chance.

the correct place is always going to be, where you can make the correct call

i be fine with a ref anywhere on the D. its, there, or there abouts

The diagram in the OP looks like positioning without NARs.

With NARS, generally expected position is to the left of where the action will be, which covers the field away from the AR, allows you to see the AR, and means you have a different perspective from the AR. As set out it the diagrams in the magic book.

The diagram in the OP looks like positioning without NARs.

With NARS, generally expected position is to the left of where the action will be, which covers the field away from the AR, allows you to see the AR, and means you have a different perspective from the AR. As set out it the diagrams in the magic book.

That isn't what is being coached in England at the moment, watch the Premier League referees and they will be around the area in Will_A's diagram in the OP.

Majority of my games at the moment are with CAR’s (albeit some very good ones on the league I ref in)

I guess I’m just frustrated that the coaching isn’t tallying up with the observers.

I was given 2x 2/5 for positioning on my most recent observation but prior to the coaching change it was always one of stronger points and regularly got 4/5!

That isn't what is being coached in England at the moment, watch the Premier League referees and they will be around the area in Will_A's diagram in the OP.
Interesting that the coaching isn’t consistent with the magic book. And really disturbing if coaching and observers are out of synch.

Reactions: one
Interesting that the coaching isn’t consistent with the magic book. And really disturbing if coaching and observers are out of synch.
Observers at senior levels will very much be in tune with advice being given out by Core (the coaching system in England). At lower levels it has always been a bit random, you will still get observers expecting referees to stick to a rigid diagonal, and I can fully believe that they would have a near meltdown seeing a referee on the right side of the penalty area at a free kick from the left wing.

As an observer myself I very much believe in the "did it cause you a problem" principle. I might well offer non-marking advice on set piece positioning, but it will only turn into advice that affects the mark if it actually has an impact on the game. Simply because there is no right or wrong answer.

I don't have Assistants so as a grassroots ref I would stand on the same side as the FK taker looking across the line to give me a chance to spot any offsides too. I f a player makes an overlap down that side I would just stand still and avoid getting in their way.

Session on this last night. Attacking DFK from left is hard. If wall is in the box I think you have to get the wall and potential handball in view.
If the wall is outside the box then edge of the D is good - but communicate with the players. Tell the wall they are being watched and to get hands down.

Great tip, if in doubt with the kicker, quietly ask if they are going to shoot;)

Last edited:
Great tip, if in doubt with the kicker, quietly ask if they are going to shoot
What's to stop them to give you an answer they want you to hear and benefits them regardless of what they plan to do?

Would you take any action if they mislead you?

What's to stop them to give you an answer they want you to hear and benefits them regardless of what they plan to do?

Would you take any action if they mislead you?
Why would they know what benefits them vs what doesn't? They might lie just to be awkward - and if they do, it probably benefits the defending team more, so it a bad idea anyway.

If they say they will shoot then you're going to prioritise looking for the HB in the wall, if they say they're going to cross then you'll be looking for an offence in the drop zone. If they lie and put you in the wrong place, the most likely outcome is the defending team gets away with an offence you might otherwise have caught. No need to take any action on the player, aside from not bothering to try and help him out in future!

Why would they know what benefits them vs what doesn't? They might lie just to be awkward - and if they do, it probably benefits the defending team more, so it a bad idea anyway.

If they say they will shoot then you're going to prioritise looking for the HB in the wall, if they say they're going to cross then you'll be looking for an offence in the drop zone. If they lie and put you in the wrong place, the most likely outcome is the defending team gets away with an offence you might otherwise have caught. No need to take any action on the player, aside from not bothering to try and help him out in future!
Yeah… I think One was being a little obtuse.

As our tutor suggested last night, if you are having a little word with a player asking them if they are going to shoot, then the smart thing is to tell them it’s because you want to watch for a handball from the wall.

There is so much win here: it’s true, it’s what the kicker wants, and the player will actually realise you are human.

Note though, this is the kind of thing that you might rely on once in 300 matches!

Definitely merit in quietly asking the taker what he plans. Some will tell you and some won’t, a quick explanation that you only want to know to make sure you don’t miss anything that might result in a penalty and they’ll usually tell you.
just make sure it’s a quiet word so the defence don’t know!

Back