A&H

Penalty?

Edit: I have often seen a referee give a free-kick for "not calling a name" when a player asks his own player to "leave it" (referring to the pass). I can't find this 'offence' in the Laws of the Game.

Have you, really? Seen that often?

That's one of a long list of things players sometimes think are an offence which referees know are not. I probably get an appeal from players about it once or twice a season. Assuming you're watching semi-pro non-league football I'd be very surprised if you ever seen a free kick given for that (unless it actually puts off an opponent).

The Referee Store
Sorry to draw this out but isn't play live until the ball goes out of play or the Referee stops play by blowing his whistle? If a defender had kicked another player (serious foul play) in the Penalty area but an offside occurred immediately before that, only the offside would have been penalized?
The Don, maybe you remember when Van Dijk was fouled by Pickford în the exact situation you've described here. Offside first, Pickford otherwise would have been sent off for excessive force. Van Dijk was out for 9 months...

I'm not sure I fully understand this comment. Are you really saying that you and your colleagues don't referee '100% within the laws of the game"?
You are not being rude but I don't think I would take up refereeing under those conditions.
Not your fault because you are not a referee. 100% means EVERY throw in taken EXACTLY where the ball went out, any taken in the wrong place, even by say 60cm, its a throw to opposition. No more quick free kicks, EVERY one taken exactly where the foul occurred. EVERY 'careless' contact is a foul. "That's never a foul ref" - yellow card. Wave your arms about after a foul, that's a yellow card. "Oh eff off" - that's a red. EVERY 'hold', or 'pull' that's a foul. GKs can only take 6 seconds to release the ball - currently its between 10 and 20 seconds - otherwise its a fk to oppo.

Standing on a fk - that's a yellow every time. Player commits 3 fouls ('persistent') that's a yellow.

There will be loads more, but hopefully you get the idea! ;)

The Don, maybe you remember when Van Dijk was fouled by Pickford în the exact situation you've described here. Offside first, Pickford otherwise would have been sent off for excessive force. Van Dijk was out for 9 months...

Yeah that's explicitly an example of how it's not supposed to work. Yes, the restart could never have been a penalty due to the offside occurring first, but the failure to show a red card was accepted as a major mistake by the officials and VAR.

Player commits 3 fouls ('persistent') that's a yellow.
;)

Um, no. That is not strictly required by the Laws, which are specific that there is no specific number. But agree with your general point that the LOTG implicitly embrace (although they no longer specifically reference) the concept of "trifling" offenses that should not be called. But I don't agree with all your examples. (Another is quick kicks--nothing in the Laws prevents them as long as they are taken from the right spot, which I don't find that uncommon.)

Um, no. That is not strictly required by the Laws, which are specific that there is no specific number. But agree with your general point that the LOTG implicitly embrace (although they no longer specifically reference) the concept of "trifling" offenses that should not be called. But I don't agree with all your examples. (Another is quick kicks--nothing in the Laws prevents them as long as they are taken from the right spot, which I don't find that uncommon.)
Suppose when the 3 are committed, but that's really my point, if you're literally taking 'persistent' then 3 is.

FKs are hardly ever taken where the foul was actually committed, especially quick ones in own half, so we're have to agree to disagree there.

I'm not advocating any of these things btw! Responding to the consternation of the op that we don't referee "100% within the LOTG", which however you dress it up - no one does or anywhere near 100%!

Suppose when the 3 are committed, but that's really my point, if you're literally taking 'persistent' then 3 is.
No. If you are taking it literally, you have to take literally the language in Law 12 that specifically says "(no specific number or pattern of offenses constitutes 'persistent)."

No. If you are taking it literally, you have to take literally the language in Law 12 that specifically says "(no specific number or pattern of offenses constitutes 'persistent)."
Agree a foul in the 1st, 46th and 94th minute is not persistent.
Similarly a player warned for a quick pattern of fouls in the 1st 2nd and 8th minute does not have to get a caution if his next foul is in the 85th.

Assuming you're watching semi-pro non-league football
Very dangerous to assume. I watch all sorts including Sunday League and Youth games where the incidents I describe have occurred over the years; perhaps 'often' should have read, 'many times'. You will recall I mentioned when a player of the same team calls "leave it".

SL and James - we're not talking 'real life' don't forget, we're talking about a hypothetical situation.

If "No specific number" = persistent, then I can call 3 fouls whenever they are persistent and still be "100% within the laws of the game".

GK - 7 seconds - NEVER going to be called, but 100% within the LOTG - the list is endless.

In real life, of course you are 100% correct James.

SL and James - we're not talking 'real life' don't forget, we're talking about a hypothetical situation.

If "No specific number" = persistent, then I can call 3 fouls whenever they are persistent and still be "100% within the laws of the game".

GK - 7 seconds - NEVER going to be called, but 100% within the LOTG - the list is endless.

In real life, of course you are 100% correct James.
Of course 3 fouls can be persistent. But they aren't always and that was how I read your post ☺️
I know I have cautioned for persistent at 3 (sub came on and committed 3 fouls in like 7-8 mins, like a bull in a China shop} but I also know players have committed more over 90 mins and not been cautioned because they weren't doing it persistently.

I can't recall ever seeing that myself, maybe I'm not watching enough football and too busy babysitting adult men!
In addition to @PinnerPaul's post, it also occurred in a UCL game I watched either this week or last. The player received a minimal bit of contact from the back, fell forward and grabbed the ball. The ref gave a free kick against him for a handling offence.

It stuck in my mind because in most cases, even when the contact wasn't nearly enough to cause the player to fall over, refs usually give the free kick.

Last edited:
In addition to @PinnerPaul's post, it also occurred in a UCL game I watched either this week or last. The player received a minimal bit of contact from the back, fell forward and grabbed the ball. The ref gave a free kick against him for a handling offence.

It stuck in my mind because in most cases, even when the contact wasn't nearly enough to cause the player to fall over, refs usually give the free kick.
Yes we do, I agree, its the safe option I guess - especially if its a defender that has been 'fouled'.

No, but I am interested in Laws, rules and regulations and the interpretation of them where they are not specifically provided for in the constitution. As a neutral spectator, I often hear fellow spectators berate the referee when I know that the match official is correct but there are certain incidents where a referee gives one decision and others (managers, players, other referee's), have a differing interpretation. Mine was a typical example. I have another interesting one which I shall leave for another day.

Edit: I have often seen a referee give a free-kick for "not calling a name" when a player asks his own player to "leave it" (referring to the pass). I can't find this 'offence' in the Laws of the Game.
There is a human element to refereeing to. At my basic refereeing level I would say that if one set of players are respectful of your role and play the game in a good manner and the other team are constantly questioning your decisions and being in your face,do you think some of those smaller 50/50 type decisions might not go the way of the 'bad' team? This is just a human element doesnt detract from a referee still applying the Laws of the Game. Also if a team is constantly on your case then they distract you from those seconds needed to make a decision and they can cause their own downfall. I often point out to teams that I will always try to play advantage when possible so as to give myself a little more time to replay decisions quickly in my head before stopping play if necessary.

other team are constantly questioning your decisions and being in your face,do you think some of those smaller 50/50 type decisions might not go the way of the 'bad' team?
This human element can work both ways. Give them the 50/50 to get them off your case. Or don't give them the 50/50 to 'teach them a lesson'.

This human element can work both ways. Give them the 50/50 to get them off your case. Or don't give them the 50/50 to 'teach them a lesson'.
I suppose it could,but from a personal point of view I won't be bullied so your example is less likely to happen with me. It is highly feasible with younger and less experienced refs, but I see this as setting a dangerous precedent and 'Give an inch,take a mile' is more likely to occur.

I’ve loved reading this thread, this is my first season and am currently level 7, very quick question on the “mine” or “I’ve got” you hear it in every game but is it punishable by IDFK? I’ve looked on IFAB and can’t see it mentioned

Back