A&H

Penalty Kick Quiz

So what if the referee signals for the kick to be taken then the keeper turns around because technically he is infringing the LOTG by not being in the right position so it still seems to me to be a goal?

If he is not facing the ball when it is kicked, he is infringing the law and the kick cannot be taken until he is in the correct position.

The Referee Store
He is infringing the laws, but he is delaying the restart and the kick cannot be taken in the first place so it can't be a goal.

He is infringing the laws, but he is delaying the restart and the kick cannot be taken in the first place so it can't be a goal.
I know what you're saying and it all depends on whether the referee has signalled for the kick or not.
If the keepe is in the right position, the referee signals for the kick to be taken and then the keeper turns around, then it is a goal.
If he turns around before the ref signals for the kick then the kick can't be taken and so you would have to wait for the keeper to turn around to signal. If he doesn't, caution him for delaying the restart.

Doesn't matter about the signal - it's about when the ball is kicked, not when the referee signals.

Page 44 again ;)
The defending goalkeeper: • must remain on his goal line, facing the kicker, between the goalposts until the ball has been kicked
Yes but if he doesn't do that then he is infringing the LOTG and so if he does it after the referee gives the signal for the kick to be taken then the goal stands

I refer you all to P133 of the LotG.

Infringements after the whistle but before the ball is played (refers specifically to encroachment but can be applied to any infringement)

Defending Player + Goal is scored = Goal

Remember the defending team has been penalised and the result is award of the penalty kick. So why should the attacking team be penalised for an additional infringement by the defending team?

I refer you all to P133 of the LotG.

Infringements after the whistle but before the ball is played (refers specifically to encroachment but can be applied to any infringement)

Defending Player + Goal is scored = Goal

Remember the defending team has been penalised and the result is award of the penalty kick. So why should the attacking team be penalised for an additional infringement by the defending team?

Exactly, what I was thinking, I couldn't put it into words :rolleyes:. As always I think that Brian's right :)

The explanation we were given was that as per page 132 the keeper must be between the goals, under the bar and facing play and this is a KEY procedure that must take place for the kick to legally be taken despite the whistle being blown. I understand the point however, I trust the FIFA guys (no offence @Brian Hamilton). If I hear otherwise from another FIFA guy then I will tell you

I'm another in the goal camp I think. This one is a prime example of the need to piece together the components of both sections of the LOTG as it is currently written (hence the forthcoming rewrite).

So, Law 14 (p45) give the procedure and for me the crucial element on timing is that the first bullet point says:
  • After the players have taken positions in accordance with this Law, the referee signals for the penalty kick to be taken
Therefore, the referee must only confirm that the correct positions are adhered to at the point at which the signal is given for the kick to be taken. After the point of the signal, if the GK turns before the kick is taken then it counts as a defensive infringement and as the ball enters the goal the goal should be awarded (as per p46 & p133).

Only if the GK turns before the signal does it make the kick invalid and thus require a retake.

I presume it was the Stirling training day, Micky? If so I couldn't get my head round a few of the answers and I was there so I feel for the others who have no on the spot explanation to go by. I felt a bit better about it once he told us the majority of the FIFA refs operating in the UK and Europe got the questions wrong at their training camp.

Surely if the keeper turns around he is still under the crossbar and between the posts?

Key point here is that the goal keeper must be facing the kicker. As per the scenario, as the keeper is not facing the kicker during the taking of a penalty, a retake must be ordered.

Key point here is that the goal keeper must be facing the kicker. As per the scenario, as the keeper is not facing the kicker during the taking of a penalty, a retake must be ordered.

Have you read the other comments in the thread because it goes through about the goal keeper's position and how it isn't always a retake when he isn't facing the right way.

Back