A&H

One extra player

Xavier

Hi,
I had a situation in a u11 boys game when 1 team was winning by 7 or 8 goals to nil. The managers called me over and told me that they both agree to put one extra player on the pitch for the loosing team. Do I allow this?
Thanks

The Referee Store
No, nothing stopping the winning side taking a player off or subbing their better players though.
No league tables at this age group, it isn’t competitive. Subbing off a player means one less kid is playing rather than one more kid playing when allowing an extra person on the pitch

No league tables at this age group, it isn’t competitive. Subbing off a player means one less kid is playing rather than one more kid playing when allowing an extra person on the pitch
So would you allow this to happen. And at what age group do you think football is competitive

Is this an official game or a kick about?
official game, hell no
kick about, if both teams agree, am game. I wont be encouraging it,
Ideally the other team would take a player off but if thats not happening, and this is an off the cuff friendly where its not a competitve official fixture, fair enough.

stress again if this is an official appointment, big no
Unofficial, ok.

Is this an official game or a kick about?
official game, hell no
kick about, if both teams agree, am game. I wont be encouraging it,
Ideally the other team would take a player off but if thats not happening, and this is an off the cuff friendly where its not a competitve official fixture, fair enough.

stress again if this is an official appointment, big no
Unofficial, ok.
Ok thank you for clarifying for me. I also had a situation in a u13 girls game where one team only had eight players out of nine. The other team had a few players spare is it possible for the team with extra players to transfer over to the other team to make it a fair game.
Thanks

Ok thank you for clarifying for me. I also had a situation in a u13 girls game where one team only had eight players out of nine. The other team had a few players spare is it possible for the team with extra players to transfer over to the other team to make it a fair game.
Thanks

Thats just my take on it! Again in a non competitve/unofficial game most things can be accomodated with agreement

official registered game, entirely different.

Thats just my take on it! Again in a non competitve/unofficial game most things can be accomodated with agreement

official registered game, entirely different
Agreed, while increasing numbers or 'loaning' players you need to be aware of the context of the match. In a non competitive, friendly it's usually reasonable to do so but in a competitive fixture probably best avoided.

I recall a local incident a few years ago where a youth team (around 15s/16s) were playing with only 9 and getting well beaten. Both teams and the referee agreed that the winning team would lend them a couple of their subs. All with good intention but it fell apart when the referee cautioned one of the loaned players and then reported the caution. It became very messy.

Check your league rules.

I know junior leagues here do have a rule up to U8s (off the top of my head), that allows the opposing team to play an extra player if they are losing by more than 8 goals (again the exact number is off the top of my head).

Me, I’m allowing this (both the U11 & U13 girls scenario)

At this age and level, its all about participation. Do this, and the youngsters will enjoy themselves more, and learn more. Don’t do this, and someone from the losing side may well not bother next week as they’ve had a miserable experience and could be lost to the game forever.

As a bit of an Aside, when I first started, I was predominantly doing youth (U15 & U16) games. I remember having a number of conversations with managers, club secretaries and the league, suggesting that goal diffference not be used to decide league position. One club, very well run (and I am pleased to say, went on to win the league) would always rotate their better players off once the scoreline was running away in their favour. Some of their rivals would try and rack up a cricket score when playing the weaker teams in the league as they wanted to improve their goal difference, leading to some worthless encounters that benefited no-one.

FA introduced a "power play" rule for mini soccer (5v5 and 7v7), where if Team A is losing by 4 goals they can bring an extra player on and 5v5 becomes 6v5. If they concede another then 6v5 becomes 7v5. The numbers are evened back up if Team A scores and the deficit drops back below 5 / 4. I'm not aware of such rule for 9v9 though.

I had this once. Due to insurance reasons you can only play the 7 v 7, 9 v 9 or 11 v 11.

Any configuration exceeding the stipulated number of players invalidates the insurance policies

I had this once. Due to insurance reasons you can only play the 7 v 7, 9 v 9 or 11 v 11.

Any configuration exceeding the stipulated number of players invalidates the insurance policies

The games am allowing the extra player are prime wont be covered by insurance in the first place.

This is 100% the kind of thing that should be allowed at lower age levels and in OA friendlies, but I'd be too worried about becoming LWR to actually go ahead with it in any match I do.

Football isn't the same all the way up-and-down the pyramid - we see this already in things like sin bins and rolling subs. The latter in particular which is a great idea and should be rolled out to all amateur football, but needs to be supported by changes in law to make it easier to manage - remove the requirement for subs to be "managed" and keep the game moving.

Ditto this - change the law to allow uneven teams in friendly matches and some competitions, either at certain score differences or with both managers agreement and help engagement at the lower levels. But it's a lot to ask a referee to just start making up law modifications in a match they're being paid for.

Some affiliated youth competitions, usually at very young ages, have rules like this, and if you are refereeing one of them you have no option to allow it no matter how much you may disagree.

I dont know cos on the one hand I'm wanting to allow it as it could help involve everyone in the game but then I think of the way of the world and if someone comes on extra and hurts themselves or someone else then all of a sudden the sporting gesture is replaced by, 'the ref should not have allowed it 'kind of thing.

I thought this was a nationwide law as it's in the FA's mini-soccer and futsal Handbook, although it does call it "Optional" Powerplay law.

It reads that the FA have approved the law (therefore no issue with insurance) for individual youth leagues to adopt if they wish.

Hi,
I had a situation in a u11 boys game when 1 team was winning by 7 or 8 goals to nil. The managers called me over and told me that they both agree to put one extra player on the pitch for the loosing team. Do I allow this?
Thanks
The FA have introduced something they call Power Play for mini soccer. If a team becomes four goals behind they can add another player to their team. If they go a further two goals behind they can add another player.

The games am allowing the extra player are prime wont be covered by insurance in the first place.
All affiliated clubs will have public liability insurance as a condition of their affiliation. If you are officiating games between unaffiliated clubs and you are an affiliated referee you could get you affiliation withdrawn if anyone finds out.

Back