A&H

One extra player

Its not supposed to be 'competitive' anyway. But you put two teams together and get some sort of referee of facilitator and competition is natural. Kids need to play and they deserve to,and they especially want a referee as it gives the impression legitimacy to them.
Well it's supposed to be a 'flavour of competition' which is the form of words used by the FA. Like most of the YDR reforms, it is extremely woolly. It is only up to U11s. From U12s on they can play season long leagues etc. As I say, I am not sure if you can use powerplay in 9v9 or above, or competitive games. Although the literature suggests mini soccer only we had a guy come from London to explain the changes to us at a youth committee meeting at my County FA. He was asked directly how you could stop large scores at u16s. He said allow the losing team to bring on extra players. Since a league would be unlikely to organise friendlies at U16s I assume he meant all games could adopt this practice. That might have just been his take though. He seemed keen to criticise all the adults present for taking it too seriously.

The Referee Store
I havent read that review but I've never had much faith in the English FA,from a coaching or refereeing standpoint.
Its not supposed to be 'competitive' anyway. But you put two teams together and get some sort of referee of facilitator and competition is natural. Kids need to play and they deserve to,and they especially want a referee as it gives the impression legitimacy to them.

Back