A&H

NFO - BOU

cwyeary

RefChat Addict
We had the first rejected on field review since the 20-21 season in the PL today. Oliver stuck with his decision for a PK. I'm still sticking to my guns that the defenders arms were naturally placed for what he was doing. The ball strikes his left hand and the force of the ball makes it flail out and appear further from the body than it was when contact was made.

The Referee Store
Oliver mimicked what he thought he saw and it didn't resemble what actually happened. Not a pen for me, natural position and not really making his body bigger.

It did stop a promising attack /shot so should be yellow but that law seems to be ignored for handballs in the penalty area

I don't think a defender diving like that is a natural position, imo. I'm glad there was one positive outcome yesterday for refereeing and the use of VAR.

I guess the pressure is less on the officials when it's two newly promoted teams and they can use VAR correctly. Without the pressure that comes from the hierarchy, when officiating an established team and how it may effect the PL product.

I do wonder if Oliver has not given a pen then VAR made him change his mind to give one whether pundits would say its the right decision to give a penalty.

I get the feeling people will think this is the right decision because Oliver rejected the review and stuck to his original decision. I think its a bit harsh personally, too close and the speed meant the defender had very little chance of moving his arms away.

I do wonder if Oliver has not given a pen then VAR made him change his mind to give one whether pundits would say its the right decision to give a penalty.

I get the feeling people will think this is the right decision because Oliver rejected the review and stuck to his original decision. I think its a bit harsh personally, too close and the speed meant the defender had very little chance of moving his arms away.

I do feel for Oliver and Taylor because they are probably working hard to prepare for the World Cup and the upcoming CL season and this is a clear handball offense in UEFA and FIFA. The training in UEFA RAP and FIFA RED is to punish defenders who are going to block expected shots and leave their arm away from the body in an attempt to take away extra space. This meets this criteria of past examples from UEFA.

The problem is this has consistently not been called this season in the PL and your World Cup refs shouldn't be applying a different standard compared to the rest of them.

QKVqiXT.png

Last edited:
The arm is on the very edge of being in an unnatural position; never a clear and obvious error by an any means.

I do feel for Oliver and Taylor because they are probably working hard to prepare for the World Cup and the upcoming CL season and this is a clear handball offense in UEFA and FIFA. The training in UEFA RAP and FIFA RED is to punish defenders who are going to block expected shots and leave their arm away from the body in an attempt to take away extra space. This meets this criteria of past examples from UEFA.

The problem is this has consistently not been called this season in the PL and your World Cup refs shouldn't be applying a different standard compared to the rest of them.

QKVqiXT.png

based only on that still , which aa we know, means nothing, thats a pk

will catch highlights later and see if i change my mind

I think that’s a pen. If you dive and your arm blocks a shot that would otherwise not be blocked then by definition your arm has increased the size of your body. The only exception I would make is if the arm is protecting the defender from impact with the ground as he falls.

Anyone who thinks this arm is in an unnatural position has never played in defence. Ball to hand here is an Act of God

That said, this is a FIFA UEFA HB because they're clueless when it comes to HB intepretation. I don't think anyone had too much of a problem with Oliver sticking to his guns. Again, VAR should have stayed out of it. A Referee reffing the game makes an acceptable change

Have seen highlights.

am now wondering why there is a thread on this

Oliver must feel embarrassed needing to even check that

pk

Have seen highlights.

am now wondering why there is a thread on this

Oliver must feel embarrassed needing to even check that

pk

Because the defender arm is in a perfectly normal place (in fact he's trying to turn his body to avoid handball) and the ball has been absolutely smashed at him from 2 yards away...

Would be my guess.

"Because the defender arm is in a perfectly normal place (in fact he's trying to turn his body to avoid handball) and the ball has been absolutely smashed at him from 2 yards away"

Would be my guess...

Am gonna side with Oliver here, and his take on this being handball is the same as mine

you might have heard of him from such occasions as the FA Cup final, Super Cup final, Euro 2020, Champ League 1/4s? and potentially Qatar latter stages

Trying to avoid handball, has nothing to do with the laws

by him trying to avoid the handball ( no reference to this in law) in reality he has moved his hand towards the ball ( referenced in law).

There is a reason one the worlds top referees gave it, then after being afforded the luxury of a replay. stuck with it.

its the correct call

Am gonna side with Oliver here, and his take on this being handball is the same as mine

you might have heard of him from such occasions as the FA Cup final, Super Cup final, Euro 2020, Champ League 1/4s? and potentially Qatar latter stages

Trying to avoid handball, has nothing to do with the laws

by him trying to avoid the handball ( no reference to this in law) in reality he has moved his hand towards the ball ( referenced in law).

There is a reason one the worlds top referees gave it, then after being afforded the luxury of a replay. stuck with it.

its the correct call

Ahhhh, the old "he's a prem ref and you're nobody" argument.
Close down the thread and the forum!

The referee that sent him to the monitor is infinitely more senior than you. So, by your own logic, you are wrong because a more senior ref gave it another way.

Odd that you would choose this weak argument on maybe the worst weekend for EPL refs in a decade.

Ahhhh, the old "he's a prem ref and you're nobody" argument.
Close down the thread and the forum!

The referee that sent him to the monitor is infinitely more senior than you. So, by your own logic, you are wrong because a more senior ref gave it another way.

Odd that you would choose this weak argument on maybe the worst weekend for EPL refs in a decade.

Nope I triee to make clear that is not the viewpoint at all

Its got nothing to do with who did what based on status

its got everything to do with. it was the correct call

Attempt to pull out a foul tackle but still foul the guy? Foul

Attempt to withdraw from a potential handling offemce but still end up handling the ball? Handball

I even put reasoned logic to the post rather than a personal slant,

Remove his status, make the ref a minion.
Why still did he stick to his original call?

because it was correct

At least what Oliver has shown, we can bury this myth that the referee has to change his mind when going to the screen, wonder what Richard Keys would have to say about that!?

Obviously it does seem a tad strange that 9 times out of 10 they do change their mind and that there was not a single decision all of last season where a referee stuck by his decision but I think it has been pointed out before, it should not happen too often a referee sticks by his decision because the screen is there because an error has supposedly been made and not there for a second look.

I think the reality is that HB is not being called by the language of Law 12 on unnatural position. What is seems to really mean is “a position we don’t like and think the p,Ayer could have or should have done something different .” We take that and combine it with a seeming sense that HB is an objective call, and VAR is a disaster when it comes to HB calls.

Back