A&H

NFO - BOU

Anyone who thinks this arm is in an unnatural position has never played in defence. Ball to hand here is an Act of God.
Turning away from the ball is a cardinal sin for any defender. All defenders should be facing the ball and making themselves bigger by standing face on with arms by their sides turning away with arms away from the body is a pen imo.

The Referee Store
Turning away from the ball is a cardinal sin for any defender. All defenders should be facing the ball and making themselves bigger by standing face on with arms by their sides turning away with arms away from the body is a pen imo.

Its like the kids pooular one, where to avoid the ball bursting their nose, they block it with their hands

perfectly natural

still a pk

Defender dives with their arms out to try and save the ball - it's a pen. Classic John Terry.
It's the defender making themselves bigger. It's an easy penalty. Is the handball really this confusing for us collectively???

MO has seen it, whistled it. On one hand I'm happy if VAR wanted to check it. But not happy they recommended a review.

Whilst I think it was perhaps on the harsh side, it certainly wasn't a clear and obvious error so I completely support Oliver saying no thank you VAR and sticking with his original decision.

Maybe how you read it

End of day, thats a panalty kick

not much else to say

"Am gonna side with Oliver here, and his take on this being handball is the same as mine

you might have heard of him from such occasions as the FA Cup final, Super Cup final, Euro 2020, Champ League 1/4s? and potentially Qatar latter stages"

"There is a reason one the worlds top referees gave it"

"Its got nothing to do with who did what based on status"

I must say my reading of it must be flawed. Only way to explain your completely contrasting points.

"Am gonna side with Oliver here, and his take on this being handball is the same as mine

you might have heard of him from such occasions as the FA Cup final, Super Cup final, Euro 2020, Champ League 1/4s? and potentially Qatar latter stages"

"There is a reason one the worlds top referees gave it"

"Its got nothing to do with who did what based on status"

I must say my reading of it must be flawed. Only way to explain your completely contrasting points.

What to take into your next game is, what you see is a correctly awarded penalty kick

that will serve you in better fettle than dwelling on my words

No offence but I can tell you've never been a defender.

No offence but I can tell you've never been a defender.
I spent 20 years in Central Defence. Never biggered or intentionally handled in this way once. Countless PK's awarded against me though. IFAB and too many Referees with runaway imaginations about what players are 'thinking' when blocking shots. All in the minds of Referees... well defo the Suits at IFAB

This one was never a B&W PK. Some given, some not given. I don't agree with the award of the PK, but it ticks the boxes for an International Referee

I spent 20 years in Central Defence. Never biggered or intentionally handled in this way once. Countless PK's awarded against me though. IFAB and too many Referees with runaway imaginations about what players are 'thinking' when blocking shots. All in the minds of Referees... well defo the Suits at IFAB

This one was never a B&W PK. Some given, some not given. I don't agree with the award of the PK, but it ticks the boxes for an International Referee
I also played in defence for a long time. Back when I was playing I would have been outraged if that was given against me, but with the current law I would know once I felt the ball hit my arms that there was a big chance I was going to be at danger of giving a penalty away. I also know I would be getting daggers from the team mates and manager for turning my back on the shot.

I would know once I felt the ball hit my arms that there was a big chance I was going to be at danger of giving a penalty away. I also know I would be getting daggers from the team mates and manager for turning my back on the shot.
No no no.... you and your players and manager would not know the nuances of the HB Law. Let's face it, most Refs don't even know
As with any player, your hand would be in whatever position it finds itself in. If you happen to be in penguin pose, by chance you're OK, otherwise it's unnatural according to IFAB and the Referee mighty imagine that your outstretched hand was intentional biggering, which means you're buggered
The only person getting grief... yes, you've got it... the Referee

Anyway, it is what it is. Easy to Referee if you copy our TV colleagues, but usually a PK via Acts of God, unless you're mindful enough to keep your block penguin like, which players won't be as they have enough on their minds

Last edited:
No no no.... you and your players and manager would not know the nuances of the HB Law. Let's face it, most Refs don't even know
As with any player, your hand would be in whatever position it finds itself in. If you happen to be in penguin pose, by chance you're OK, otherwise it's unnatural according to IFAB and the Referee mighty imagine that your outstretched hand was intentional biggering, which means you're buggered
The only person getting grief... yes, you've got it... the Referee

Anyway, it is what it is. Easy to Referee if you copy our TV colleagues, but usually a PK via Acts of God, unless you're mindful enough to keep your block penguin like, which players won't be as they have enough on their minds

I was still playing when I was an L4, so I would like to think I knew the laws. Had he defended properly, and turning your back on the shot is most definitely not doing that, it probably wouldn't have hit his arms.

Moderator warning

There have been some personal comments made that cross the line between disagreement and inappropriate behaviour. Warning points have been allocated and will continue to be applied if this persists.

Back