A&H

New fitness test

The crucial part to the test is momentum so that you don’t effectively stop. Try to pace the 25m recovery walk so that your last stride of the walk gets you to the line of the start of the next 75m run

The Referee Store
The crucial part to the test is momentum so that you don’t effectively stop. Try to pace the 25m recovery walk so that your last stride of the walk gets you to the line of the start of the next 75m run
When you hear the double beep, count it in. 5 4 3 2 1 whistle. You'd be surprised how far away you can look but still coast up to the line.
My polar has an interval timer and so long as I calibrate it correct with the whistle it buzzes in the last 5 secs and that's really helped me when training.

I had the same whitecoat problem and spoke to the GP about it. I could feel my heart racing as I sat in front of the person putting the armband on - couldn't get the thought of a whole season of hard work going down the drain out of my head ! He said it's not unusual and taking single readings is a nonsense anyway. I now fill in an online form with readings over a few days & they take an average.
I was always the same. Don't have to do it anymore, but I had to go into hospital for emergency hand surgery last week, the nurse prepping me took blood pressure and it was so high she called in the doctor (didn't see the lower reading but the upper one was over 160). They took it again with the doctor there and it was high again, so I got grilled on whether I have a known history of high BP, family history, etc. I explained that I always had the same problem for the FA fitness test, but when taking the test at home I was always low, so the doctor told me to lay down, breath in and out slowly, and generally relax. When taken after that it was 123/81.

The doctor was a big football fan so then grilled me for ages about refereeing (sorry for any delays that caused 😂). He said it was absolutely laughable (his words) that you have to take a BP test to undertake a fitness test as that proves absolutely nothing. He said you are a hundred times more likely to drop dead during exercise through an undiagnosed heart problem than anything BP related, and a BP test would never diagnose that.

I hope you all find it easier to get s BP test. Managed to get one done at a supermarket pharmacy this morning but most told me to come back another time (and it was just obvious from the confused look on the staff members faces that the chances of me getting it done upon my return were slim at best). Doctors just told me that there was no chance of getting an appointment in the next week.

It all just seems a bit unnecessary. We don't take BP tests before matches for example.

So i took my BP on arising this a.m. and it was 117/77
An hour or so later, I swigged down a Costa confidently en-route to the Pharmacist, by which time my BP had rocketed to 137/89
They were pretty busy, so I just accepted the first reading as it's a pass
Moral of the story... turns out after reading up on it... in a healthy individual... BP drops by ~10% overnight (at least it should do)
So for those on the cusp, best find an overnight Pharmacy!

The Costa may well be the issue - caffeine can caused dramatic short term increases in blood pressure
Other Coffee Shops are available!
BP does drop at night too... Twenty minutes on the interweb and I'm now a qualified in cardiologist ;)

Been and had my BP done today. Passed. Varying reading from either arm. Not entirely sure that means anything.

Reactions: es1
Got mine after work tomorrow. Hopefully it’s not a stressful day 😂
I just rocked up to boots today.they always look at you like you have a square head I find when you present the form, but got it done anyway. She wouldn't sign the actual form but has issued me with an NHS BP certificate which is stamped and she signed which I am pretty sure will be ok.

I just rocked up to boots today.they always look at you like you have a square head I find when you present the form, but got it done anyway. She wouldn't sign the actual form but has issued me with an NHS BP certificate which is stamped and she signed which I am pretty sure will be ok.
Be careful as I've seen them refuse to accept anything than a signed actual form.

Be careful as I've seen them refuse to accept anything than a signed actual form.
I'll email the FA.
There is literally no reason why they shouldn't. They have everything they need, stamp, signed, recorded BP, it's an NHS official document.

I'll email the FA.
There is literally no reason why they shouldn't. They have everything they need, stamp, signed, recorded BP, it's an NHS official document.
I know, but rational and the FA don't always go together, and it can come down to which volunteer invigilator you have on the day. I've certainly seen someone turned away because his actual card wasn't signed but he had a stamped certificate, although granted that was 5+ years ago.

Mine was a pass but a little on the low side. I jarred my shoulder playing cricket 3 weeks ago so haven't done any training (giving it another go tonight after aborting my last attempt at a run last week). I shall use the tactics of being just behind the chap at the front and holding on for grim life like last time.

At least its cooling down by Sunday!

Mine was a pass but a little on the low side. I jarred my shoulder playing cricket 3 weeks ago so haven't done any training (giving it another go tonight after aborting my last attempt at a run last week). I shall use the tactics of being just behind the chap at the front and holding on for grim life like last time.

At least its cooling down by Sunday!
Everyone will be running at the same or similar pace. It's much more team orientated this style of test, as at the end everyone will have covered the same distance in the same time.

I'm going to try and practice a couple of times before the actual test itself. The takeaway from people who have actually done the test is that timing is the key. I think if you rock up you run the risk of having to trust someone else who equally may not know what they are doing.

I'm going to try and practice a couple of times before the actual test itself. The takeaway from people who have actually done the test is that timing is the key. I think if you rock up you run the risk of having to trust someone else who equally may not know what they are doing.
The real key, if you ask me, is being able to accelerate quickly. Be at "race pace" from the first step. This minimizes the speed you have to get yourself to in the last half of the running section.

Back