A&H

My two penneth....

Darius

RefChat Addict
I felt like a rant so have put this as my Facebook Status. Got a few likes and comments so thought I'd share it. Have a read/share your views.

To all who play/referee football,

Now I'm perfectly happy to admit that I referee every weekend but I think that there are a few misconceptions about why thousands of people go out and do it every week. Here's a few things I'd like to say...please comment and let me know if you agree/disagree!

So why do we do it? I can only speak for myself but it's because yes I was absolutely terrible at playing and when I accidentally ran into refereeing a game and enjoyed it I thought it was something I'd take up doing instead of playing. I like to think I'm quite a lot better at doing this than I ever was at playing.

At my game on Saturday I met a bloke who was refereeing on the pitch next to mine, he was 64 years old and had had a heart attack in March. He's been refereeing 38 years I believe, and he had a great passion for the game and you could tell he kept going out every week because of this. This is the referee that after you'd lost you'd call the Centre Circle warrior and blame him for 12 of the 13 goals you conceded in the first half.

To me that bloke is the glue that holds the grassroots game together. I didn't catch his name but if he did read this I'd like to let him know that I hope he reaches 40 years refereeing and beyond. I hope I'm still doing it when I'm his age!

Now this next bit goes out to 'Last Weeks Ref' and for everyone who ever asks whether 'you're sending it in'. Now I'm not stupid and understand that everyone might not be able to pay a big fine, even £10 for a caution could screw some people up. But there's one simple way to avoid these fines....don't do something stupid in the first place! As for 'Last Weeks Ref', when you caution a player send the thing in! It means that the player has an actual reference point to what is and isn't acceptable!

'Sending them in' is something that needs to happen.

Here's 2 very basic situations to consider with the following context Player A gets sent off for Violent Conduct and should receive 3 game ban. The referee doesn't send it in.

Situation 1 - Player A scores 3 last minute winners in the next 3 games (that he should've been suspended for) and his team win the league on Goal Difference against your team at the end of the season.....bet you wish that the referee sent that in now?!

Situation 2 - Player A plays against your team 2 weeks later (when he should be suspended) and punches one of your players breaking his nose. Safe in the knowledge that he might miss rest of the game but will play next week and not get fined.....should that have been put in now?

Please think about these points next time you ask/get asked for cards to not be sent in. Things like that change who wins trophies and encourages misconduct.

Leads me nicely to dissent - I'd perfectly happily remove dissent from the Laws of the Game on the condition I'm allowed to run around screaming at every player telling them that they're 'sh*t' every time they misplace a pass, scuff a shot, miss a tackle or play a man onside. Sound realistic? Course not. Then why is it fine for players to do it to the referee?

No referee goes out to take a barrage of abuse for 90 minutes and beyond. Why do so many drop out of the game? That's why!

Me personally I'd like to see something done about punishing teams and players for dissent repeat offenders. It's the only way to stamp it out. If that means a game suspension after 2/3 Dissent Cautions so be it. If that means £20 instead of £10 so be it. Maybe start at £10 for player AND £10 for club for each C2 (Dissent) would people begin to learn? Hopefully. I believe this would decrease dissent and improve the numbers of referees.

Also while we're on dissent I feel I should point out that the wording is 'Dissent by word or action', you do not have to swear to get booked for dissent - in fact if you do then you're fairly likely to be talking a long walk to a cold shower. Screaming at me is usually going to find us getting to know each other's names!

Actually! Can someone just let everyone know that there is no where in the laws of the game that the words 'leave it' are banned. Neither is 'mine', 'over', 'keepers' or anything else in there! The law is that you cannot DELIBERATELY distract an opponent. That is all!

Any how, hope I've started a debate. I hope people realise how much referees give up to turn up and do your game, It's a big time commitment. You give up going out on Friday and Saturday nights. You give up your days off from work that you could spend with your family to do your game.

Please think about some of this stuff before you start berating referees next weekend!

Let me know what you think?

The Referee Store
Out of interest, what were the comments from any players?

I assume you mean over on Facebook.

'Nothing worse than when you have no ref and one of the managers has to do it.
From my experience this is when u get some absolute shocking decisions, depending which side your on!
It's simple really, no ref = no game.
Fines is probably the way to go (players & club)'

AND

'Amazing post! - With the clubs I have ran this season I have already had a few of these points crop up. Opposition players having men sent off, yet asking for cards not to go in, then not understanding why they shouldnt! "leave it" - Ive argued this before too. Unfortunately there are too many people who think they are above the laws of the game and know it all, and those same peopel forget that it's not them who make the rules/decisions of the game - its the guy in the black kit, and why not just leave him alone and maybe he will do a job to the best of his ability? Laying in to refs, or even players on your team who make mistakes leads to one thing - more mistakes! Great post mate.'

I assume you mean over on Facebook.

'Nothing worse than when you have no ref and one of the managers has to do it.
From my experience this is when u get some absolute shocking decisions, depending which side your on!
It's simple really, no ref = no game.
Fines is probably the way to go (players & club)'

AND

'Amazing post! - With the clubs I have ran this season I have already had a few of these points crop up. Opposition players having men sent off, yet asking for cards not to go in, then not understanding why they shouldnt! "leave it" - Ive argued this before too. Unfortunately there are too many people who think they are above the laws of the game and know it all, and those same peopel forget that it's not them who make the rules/decisions of the game - its the guy in the black kit, and why not just leave him alone and maybe he will do a job to the best of his ability? Laying in to refs, or even players on your team who make mistakes leads to one thing - more mistakes! Great post mate.'

Thanks mate, it was on Facefook I meant.

Interestingly positive then. So are we to take that despite the comments on the day and arguing about decisions etc, there is actually an unspoken respect and understanding for what we do?

Or am I talking complete :poop::poop::poop:?

Some do. Some don't.

The reason you keep going is for the doers and then reason you stop is the don'ters!

Don't let the bar stewards win!

I have stolen this and copied as my status! what wonderful words!

I think there is a kind of unspoken respect there, I often get told 'I don't know how you referee' 'I couldn't do it!' etc etc

I don't mind those who want to discuss a decision. It's those who turn up and instantly think they're entitled to treat you like a piece of dirt that annoy me

I think that for a promotion candidate to post this on social media invites revenge on the field from players, managers and club secretaries. I believe it is a confrontational post and I was very unhappy that you tagged me when posting it. You should keep comments such as this to yourself and make sure you do your job right each week.

If you feel it is necessary to help give redirection to other referees then perhaps you could train as a mentor or an assessor. This would be far more effective than posting on Facebook. I suppose it's a bit like the difference between protesting about homeless people and actually going down to a soup kitchen and providing some practical support.

Stuff like this and too many mushy posts about relationships on Facebook gets an unfollow from me.

Most people won't read past the first two lines as they see it being so long and about refereeing and even as a referee I'd of got bored.

If your going to deliver a powerful message it needs to be short and to the point.

Also on a post like that someone could comment and you could easily find yourself or someone on your Facebook commenting something of interest to the FA. Then your making headlines not for the reasons you intended, as I can see you have good intentions.

Fair enough, it wasn't meant as confrontational. Genuinely meant as a conversational topic.

Apologies for any offence by tagging you @Brian Hamilton If you haven't already untagged yourself I'll get you untagged ASAP - if I can't do it on my phone I'll do it on morning on computer.

I would say however that there are plenty of worse things said on here! I've not mentioned any names or even hinted towards it being aimed at anyone (because it wasn't). Was just a summary of my findings having refereed now for 6 years (time flies). I love what I do, strive to be better.

As for the comment about trying to help others - the Sunday League is looking for people to help and I've offered any assistance I can from a refereeing side.

The actual inspiration as to why I wrote it was from seeing a post from a coach - you might have seen it?

Anyway apologies again for any offence caused

I think that for a promotion candidate to post this on social media invites revenge on the field from players, managers and club secretaries. I believe it is a confrontational post and I was very unhappy that you tagged me when posting it. You should keep comments such as this to yourself and make sure you do your job right each week.

I completely agree. In Scotland referees are strenousy discouraged from detailed discussion and comment on social media to the extent that warnings have been issued and, in some cases, disciplinary action taken. Quite correct too in my opinion.

Oh yes, can't upset people with expensive suits, big pay packets and bigger egos. The gestapo-like attitude of some organisations is pathetic (and the Australian authorities have displayed some disgraceful attitudes...some interesting stories there :p)

I don't see the problem with what was written, and I don't consider it particularly confrontational either, nor do I see the 'revenge' issues. I feel like if we all spent a little less time on things we pretend are important (like which blade of grass we want the referee to stand on this season at a kickoff) and more on things that are actually improvement refereeing and football culture would be much, much better off.

DISCLAIMER: If you want to be promoted though, you need to play the game, and it's no different to any corporate environment. I personally argue that, moving into professional football, playing the game is more important than actual ability. My point is, my post is an opinion on how things should be. The right advice is to just accept how they are and do what the big fat suits want you to do. It's a good thing I was never good enough to reach the A-League - I've heard enough about what's been said about me behind closed doors by the top, top management levels due to what I posted on forums, under an alias, to know that if I was good enough I would never be permitted a chance! - so if you have any ambition, learn from my mistakes!)

Last edited:
Social media is no place to write detail about work, life, refereeing or anything else of importance no matter how tempting.

You have too much to loose.

Anyway, isn't it to write what you had for breakfast to complete strangers? :p:eek:

Back