A&H

Mike Dean

I just hope this makes the FA broadcast everything as it happens.
Highly unlikely. What in the PL’s handling of VAR makes anyone think they are readily for or willing to have that kind of scrutiny—which I don’t believe any pro soccer league has adopted? But perhaps it will encourage We. To bring over something akin to the MLS week in review that gives some significant insight into the VAR process and commincation.

The Referee Store
Highly unlikely. What in the PL’s handling of VAR makes anyone think they are readily for or willing to have that kind of scrutiny—which I don’t believe any pro soccer league has adopted? But perhaps it will encourage We. To bring over something akin to the MLS week in review that gives some significant insight into the VAR process and commincation.

Yeah, sorry I mean something like that. No everything, but at least the VAR decisions that are being checked for more than a few seconds.

I know fans/pundits/managers have mentioned the idea of referees being interviewed after the game, I don't see why this couldn't be introduced too. Big call - explain it. Be open about decisions and inform/teach fans why a decision was made.

There is always room to be more progressive, now would be a good time

I know fans/pundits/managers have mentioned the idea of referees being interviewed after the game, I don't see why this couldn't be introduced too. Big call - explain it. Be open about decisions and inform/teach fans why a decision was made.
the Dean interview makes you think refs being interviewed after games would be a good idea?! :eek:

assuming that Rs would be giving a good interview in the aftermath of a major event is a pretty big assumption

Looks like he's dug the hole even deeper. I get he's trying to protect his colleague in the workplace, but he's there to do a job. End of.
The next question from the media will be, how often has this happened in the past etc ?

Last edited:
Looks like he's dug the hole even deeper. I get he's trying to protect his colleague in the workplace, but he's there to do a job. End of.
The next question from the media will be, how often has this happened in the past etc ?

I rate him as a referee in that he's not afraid to make the big decisions(on the field) but he really does come across as arrogant here implying all the fuss is over nothing and that if he said colleague instead of mate that would make it okay.

No apologies either for making the wrong decision or for throwing Anthony Taylor under the bus. From the sounds of it, I'm really surprised he even accepted the job of being a full time VAR if he hated it that much, surely he would of known before the season started when he did VAR the previous seasons it wasn't going to be for him. Only a theory but maybe he was expecting a job in the media and it never came up so accepted the VAR role to remain in the game?

I rate him as a referee in that he's not afraid to make the big decisions(on the field) but he really does come across as arrogant here implying all the fuss is over nothing and that if he said colleague instead of mate that would make it okay.

No apologies either for making the wrong decision or for throwing Anthony Taylor under the bus. From the sounds of it, I'm really surprised he even accepted the job of being a full time VAR if he hated it that much, surely he would of known before the season started when he did VAR the previous seasons it wasn't going to be for him. Only a theory but maybe he was expecting a job in the media and it never came up so accepted the VAR role to remain in the game?
It makes no sense really. "It's a C&O error but I'll 'spare' my colleague from getting him to correct it and just wait for us both to get slated afterwards and PGMOL to explain it away or brush it under the carpet."

I think it has been taken a bit out of context to be fair. Simon Jordan explained it on the show today, it was one comment made in a very long interview. What he was saying is that he didn't adjust well to VAR and wasn't very good at it, and not sending Taylor to the screen was one example of that. He admits he was wrong to take that course of action, as he does again in this Soccer Saturday clip.

Its another reason why referees being interviewed after games would be a big risk, as the media would undoubtedly only play selective snippets to sensationalise things.

I think it has been taken a bit out of context to be fair. Simon Jordan explained it on the show today, it was one comment made in a very long interview. What he was saying is that he didn't adjust well to VAR and wasn't very good at it, and not sending Taylor to the screen was one example of that. He admits he was wrong to take that course of action, as he does again in this Soccer Saturday clip.

Its another reason why referees being interviewed after games would be a big risk, as the media would undoubtedly only play selective snippets to sensationalise things.

I agree regarding the post match interviews but he is no stranger to media work, he has done a fair bit in the past few years so surely he knew what he was saying. It's not like it's his first ever apperance speaking with cameras around whereas that might be the case with other referees. Either way, it created this storm and it's another incident Howard Webb could do without.

I agree regarding the post match interviews but he is no stranger to media work, he has done a fair bit in the past few years so surely he knew what he was saying. It's not like it's his first ever apperance speaking with cameras around whereas that might be the case with other referees. Either way, it created this storm and it's another incident Howard Webb could do without.
Don't really think there is much for Webb to worry about. If Mike Dean was still an active referee, or VAR, then yes, it would be a real problem, but he isn't. Howard Webb wasn't even in the job when it happened.

Whatever Dean said was going to cause controversy. Everyone saw the incident at the time and knew a clear red card had been missed, so if he came out and said it was reviewed and they missed it that would almost be as damaging, and would also be chucking whoever the AVAR was under the bus. Ex-referees are always going to do interviews, articles, speak at events, etc, and as the shackles are off it is inevitable that controversial things will be said. It was certainly far less damaging that some of the claims that Mark Halsey has come out with since he retired.

Yeah, sorry I mean something like that. No everything, but at least the VAR decisions that are being checked for more than a few seconds.

There is always room to be more progressive, now would be a good time
Here is how things would go.

Fans - "Call sucked! Ref's a w***er!"

Referee - "Here is why I made the call and the Law supporting the decision."

Fans - "Call sucked, and the explanation sucked! Ref's an even bigger w***er!"

Unfortunately, the theory of referees giving interviews after a game will be instantly washed away as the fans do what fans will do.

Here is how things would go.

Fans - "Call sucked! Ref's a w***er!"

Referee - "Here is why I made the call and the Law supporting the decision."

Fans - "Call sucked, and the explanation sucked! Ref's an even bigger w***er!"

Unfortunately, the theory of referees giving interviews after a game will be instantly washed away as the fans do what fans will do.
But would Mike Dean (or any VAR) ignore a C&O if it had to be explained afterwards? Or don't they care? Or feel accountable?

The whole point of VAR is to recognise that the referee's decision is not always right, and not necessarily final.

But would Mike Dean (or any VAR) ignore a C&O if it had to be explained afterwards? Or don't they care? Or feel accountable?

The whole point of VAR is to recognise that the referee's decision is not always right, and not necessarily final.
If PGMOL, PRO, or the relevant governing organization wants to make that public later, that’s fine.

I stand by my original post. Post game interviews are pointless and useless for officials. They are not ever going to convince fans and pundits that referees actually can explain a decision. They are only going to be gasoline on a fire. Good in theory, bad in practice.

I keep saying the same thing, they aren't going to want to interview the referee on TV after a game if there were no mistakes, they would only want to do it if there was a perceived error. Then if the referee tries to explain why it was correct in law they will just shout over him, just as BT pundits did with Peter Walton for years and Soccer Saturday pundits are now doing with Mike Dean.

Absolutely think there should be statements made after games, or perhaps even videos of the referees explaining why they made a particular decision, but a TV interview straight after the game wouldn't be any help whatsoever.

I keep saying the same thing, they aren't going to want to interview the referee on TV after a game if there were no mistakes, they would only want to do it if there was a perceived error. Then if the referee tries to explain why it was correct in law they will just shout over him, just as BT pundits did with Peter Walton for years and Soccer Saturday pundits are now doing with Mike Dean.
Oh god, they’re just the worst aren’t they? Went back and watched SSN chatting to Dermot Gallagher after *that* Chelsea Spurs game and the host is talking (down) to DG like he’s a naughty schoolboy. Would have immediately put Dermot as my favourite ever if he simply replied “well I didn’t f**king give it did I?”

Absolutely think there should be statements made after games, or perhaps even videos of the referees explaining why they made a particular decision, but a TV interview straight after the game wouldn't be any help whatsoever.
Seems to work OK elsewhere.

Back