A&H

Match fees - again

HMRC rate is 45p (max 10,000 miles per year) - that is usually a pretty reliable guide - so yes you're correct!
It's been 45 p for so long that it can be nowhere near reflective of true costs now, even before the CoL crisis.

The Referee Store
Fuel costs or running costs including tax, insurance, depreciation, serviing, etc.?
Tax = £220 a year
Insurance = £420 a year
10 year old car so it’s already pretty depreciated!
Averages about £200 a year for maintenance/MOT

Average of 10,000 miles a year equates to 8.4p per mile. Plus the petrol cost of 18p a mile and I’m comfortably covering my costs even with 32p a mile.

Tax = £220 a year
Insurance = £420 a year
10 year old car so it’s already pretty depreciated!
Averages about £200 a year for maintenance/MOT

Average of 10,000 miles a year equates to 8.4p per mile. Plus the petrol cost of 18p a mile and I’m comfortably covering my costs even with 32p a mile.
Not sure about 18p per mile in a ten year old car, but you will know best; £200 seems low (service, spares, tyres etc) but again you know best. Just don't tell your CFA that you can break even below 32p or they may reduce their allowance figure!

Not sure about 18p per mile in a ten year old car, but you will know best; £200 seems low (service, spares, tyres etc) but again you know best. Just don't tell your CFA that you can break even below 32p or they may reduce their allowance figure!
MOD still pays 25p per mile and has done since 2007.

You lot don't know how lucky you are ... ;)

I do most of my games as a volunteer for AYSO. I can write off mileage as a volunteer for a tax exempt organization. But our IRS has, in its infinite wisdom, set a rate of about 1/2 the business mileage rate for the volunteer rate. I've never understood why it was cheaper to drive to volunteer activities than to business activities . . .

Barnet Sunday League now paying 50 sheets
Even for 'The Smoke', i think that's too much. No good adequately compensating Refs if teams can't afford to play

Even for 'The Smoke', i think that's too much. No good adequately compensating Refs if teams can't afford to play

I'm not sure that's the case. The cricket league I played I before I moved Sputh 18 months ago doubled umpire fees from £25 each to £50. We all said that it was too much and teams couldn't afford it. Well every match gets 2 umpires and teams happily pay it. But as always its supply and demand which differs locally from nationally in many areas

£50 / 16 home players is just over £3 each. Seems fair. £50 / 12 home players is just over £4 each. Also seems fair.

What annoys me is that i can travel up to 25 miles each way with no petrol but refs "who don't drive" referee less than a mile from thier front door for the same fee.

It's not right.

£50 / 16 home players is just over £3 each. Seems fair. £50 / 12 home players is just over £4 each. Also seems fair.

What annoys me is that i can travel up to 25 miles each way with no petrol but refs "who don't drive" referee less than a mile from thier front door for the same fee.

It's not right.

The leagues I do make no allowance for referees who dont drive. You are in the pool to get a fixture, you take your fixture, you know the geography prior to signing up to said league.

I agree £50 for adults open age is fair, one league I do has raised from £40 to £50 for the new season, Yes costs for clubs, players, has gone up, follows suit same goes for the match officials.
£3 is prob not even one post match tipple.

It's not right.
I don't agree with you on this one. Paying the Referee is only contribution towards running a team
Participation in 11-a-side County Level football continues to decline, so putting up fees by 25% is not gonna help in that respect. It might be Ok to do so in cricket, but the demographics of football participation is such that a lot of players don't have a pot to piss in
Overpaying the Referees is something that doesn't sit well with me
Having run a team for a decade when I was younger (and knowing how challenging the funding can be), £50 for Sunday League is excessive IMO

I don't agree with you on this one. Paying the Referee is only contribution towards running a team
Participation in 11-a-side County Level football continues to decline, so putting up fees by 25% is not gonna help in that respect. It might be Ok to do so in cricket, but the demographics of football participation is such that a lot of players don't have a pot to piss in
Having run a team for a decade when I was younger (and knowing how challenging the funding can be), £50 for Sunday League is excessive IMO

The cricket team I grew up playing for contained the same players as the football team. South/East Manchester area with all the financial problems that area has.

Nobody else worries around the costs. Kit/boot manufacturers, league fees, ground fees etc. Yes I'd live to keep costs as low as possible in every facet but theres a cost to providing referees for games and each area will find out what that is by its ability to attract/retain referees.

I see your point and i think at £50 i would be uncomfortable. For mens football £40 is fair. Maybe some petrol if you go over 10 miles each way would also help.

But life is about choices, if i want to go to my local sport centre, if i don't pay i don't get in.

Life in the UK is expensive now and i cannot see it getting any cheaper.

Match fees up to £70/£40/£40 for the step 5/6 leagues in Cornwall.

Some increased mileage being put on referees I’ve been told so the fee went up and kept the same for AR’s

Match fees up to £70/£40/£40 for the step 5/6 leagues in Cornwall.

Some increased mileage being put on referees I’ve been told so the fee went up and kept the same for AR’s
Not too bad that.
I only left Cornwall once last season for a middle and I would have expected similar this year maybe less with Tavistock promoted to Southern League.
Likes of Barnstaple joining the Western League that's a 4 hourish round trip for me so suppose it helps cover those games. Not too many refs that way so I imagine they will get a different referee most weeks to share the difficulty of getting there.

Where I can I cycle to games, certainly helps with pre match warm up. I have been asked on more than 1 occasion if they can pay me less because I’ve not driven there

Back