A&H

Match Fee’s paid by BACS

I saw a study that said it believed that handling cash was the biggest cause of transmission of the virus, and it makes sense if you think about it. Someone pays in a shop with a fiver and it goes on top of the pile in the till, next person pays with a tenner and gets the fiver back in change, next person pays with a £20 note and gets the tenner back. That's three notes changed hands in the space of 2 minutes, not to mention any coins, and cash could easily change hands between ten or potentially many more people in a single day. I understand the argument that cash has been around for ever, but the R number of this virus is much higher than anything seen before, certainly in recent years.

In terms of refereeing, the key things is that clubs give referees the choice and honour that. If a referee is comfortable handling cash then that is his or her choice, but sometimes I think they do so because they think they have a very low chance of a serious illness. They are probably correct, but the problem is they then pass that cash onto others, and the sad fact is that the people most likely to succumb to this virus, the elderly, are the most likely group to handle cash. That's a general thing, not really just referees, but my personal view is that cash should be banned, or at least have a plan to phase it out, in all but certain use cases. People have mentioned charities, but the chuggers have had card machines for a long time now, Big Issue sellers all have them, so even that sector is moving away from cash.

The Referee Store
I saw a study that said it believed that handling cash was the biggest cause of transmission of the virus
I'm not buying that :stop: (pardon the pun) even if you cite the study. There'd be a thousand studies on the contrary imho

First team wanting to pay by bank transfer tonight. Asked for my bank details on a piece of paper 😂

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Kes
Conclusion, they each have pros and cons and we should be able to choose what works for us individually (which has its own pros and cons).

I have read this thread with interest, and have the solution . . . match officials to have the same system as observers by being paid by BACS or cheque twice a season, in arrears. All happy?😀
Good idea - but who to organise the collection of fees from the clubs, chase up for non-payment, get referees claim details, etc. As a grassroots league we will have 30 matches a week - 30 referees, 60 clubs paying. Over 13 weeks, that would be c1,200 transactions to process. @ChasTutorObserver - fancy a job (and of course, it will unpaid).....

Good idea - but who to organise the collection of fees from the clubs, chase up for non-payment, get referees claim details, etc. As a grassroots league we will have 30 matches a week - 30 referees, 60 clubs paying. Over 13 weeks, that would be c1,200 transactions to process. @ChasTutorObserver - fancy a job (and of course, it will unpaid).....
For your league, an inclusive fee for referees, each club charged based on number of games played in the period . . . 👍

I saw a study that said it believed that handling cash was the biggest cause of transmission of the virus, and it makes sense if you think about it. Someone pays in a shop with a fiver and it goes on top of the pile in the till, next person pays with a tenner and gets the fiver back in change, next person pays with a £20 note and gets the tenner back. That's three notes changed hands in the space of 2 minutes, not to mention any coins, and cash could easily change hands between ten or potentially many more people in a single day. I understand the argument that cash has been around for ever, but the R number of this virus is much higher than anything seen before, certainly in recent years.

In terms of refereeing, the key things is that clubs give referees the choice and honour that. If a referee is comfortable handling cash then that is his or her choice, but sometimes I think they do so because they think they have a very low chance of a serious illness. They are probably correct, but the problem is they then pass that cash onto others, and the sad fact is that the people most likely to succumb to this virus, the elderly, are the most likely group to handle cash. That's a general thing, not really just referees, but my personal view is that cash should be banned, or at least have a plan to phase it out, in all but certain use cases. People have mentioned charities, but the chuggers have had card machines for a long time now, Big Issue sellers all have them, so even that sector is moving away from cash.

I think your maths in the first paragraph proves my point - IF cash was so 'dangerous' we would all contract viruses a lot easier and more often than we do and, as you say, have done for years and years.

Brian - Respect your 'inside' knowledge of the banking world, but do all the other many many many industries that have handled cash regularly over decades and decades 'manage' absenteeism as well?

Brian - Respect your 'inside' knowledge of the banking world, but do all the other many many many industries that have handled cash regularly over decades and decades 'manage' absenteeism as well?

We've handled huge great spondoolees worth of cash in the Army for years Paul and we tend to manage absenteeism pretty well. ;) :D

Back