A&H

Match Fee’s paid by BACS

NewRefBrendan

How long do you think it’s acceptable to wait before chasing Managers for payment?

FA guidance for bacs payments is fine for league games as there are procedures for reporting late/no payment, but chasing for fee’s for PSF matches is a hassle!

The Referee Store
I’ve done a couple of games recently when I’ve been paid by BACS

Both were evening games, both paid me the following morning (I had said that this was fine, and I know (& trust!) the club personne)

the person with the club’s bank details may not be the manager coach at the match, so they may not be able to,pay you there and then.

For me, I would expect payment within 24 hours, after which I would start to chase. But that’s just my thought, nothing official.

Joined a new local association this season in Sydney. One lump-sum payment after the season ends. Not ideal for those who rely on the income but I guess they can organise alternate arrangements for them.

The FA guidance for match fees being paid electronically is for it to happen on the same day.

As a league, we would expect the fee for a Saturday match to be paid on Monday, at the very latest. After that we will be charging the clubs with non-payment.

In the case of PSF, I would suggest two days after the date is the maximum before chasing the secretary, @NewRefBrendan - if a club does not pay yu for a PSF, you can always check with your CFA about what to do. They have more powers to extract funds re fees.

My expectation is for the FA's Match Day app to include payments to match officials in the near future.
The integration with PayPal is already present for payments in from players and I'd be surprised if payments out for match officials aren't included very soon.
But it is the FA we talking about here so, let's not hold our breathe.
Anyway, an electronic payment is so easy to make and receive nowadays, there's very little excuse from most clubs and officials ... in my opinion.

When I restart this season, I'll be asking for payment in cash in an envelope as part of my usual fixture confirmation e mail.

Too many variables involved with passing your bank details on to the coach/secretary/whatever of Dog & Duck Utd Reserves and waiting/checking up on it days later....

When I restart this season, I'll be asking for payment in cash in an envelope as part of my usual fixture confirmation e mail.

Too many variables involved with passing your bank details on to the coach/secretary/whatever of Dog & Duck Utd Reserves and waiting/checking up on it days later....

Have to agree, given how variable/efficient (or not) even the cash payments can be!

We've instructed our clubs to ask the referee how he or she would like to be paid, the options being by PayPal, bank transfer, or cash, and we expect them to honour that choice. Should the referee choose cash it should be notes only (no coins) and handed over in an envelope.

It doesn't completely remove the risk as obviously the envelope will have been handled, but it is better than handing over notes and coins that could have been touched by any number of people in the past three days. Of course if the referee then takes the notes straight out to count them it will have somewhat negated the measures :)

Despite the rapidly advancing cashless society, tens of millions of cash exchanges are happening every day
I accept that the guidelines have to mitigate any identifiable risk, but it's amazing how much thought is being given to this consideration. Especially given that grass-roots football doesn't seem to give a toss about Covid guidelines
Besides, if I'm gonna succumb to this historic ailment, transmission by means of a virus laden wad of cash... is the best vehicle to be struck down by!

We've instructed our clubs to ask the referee how he or she would like to be paid, the options being by PayPal, bank transfer, or cash, and we expect them to honour that choice. Should the referee choose cash it should be notes only (no coins) and handed over in an envelope.

It doesn't completely remove the risk as obviously the envelope will have been handled, but it is better than handing over notes and coins that could have been touched by any number of people in the past three days. Of course if the referee then takes the notes straight out to count them it will have somewhat negated the measures :)
Why no coins?, and the whole envelope thing is pretty pointless if you follow good hygiene practice and wash your hands.

Why no coins?, and the whole envelope thing is pretty pointless if you follow good hygiene practice and wash your hands.

We took advice, there is evidence that the virus lasts longer on solid items like coins than paper, plus not many referees want their £35 paid in coins anyway. We also want to discourage clubs from collecting money from players on the day, as per guidance, and that would be the main reason that a referee is paid with some or all coins.

And yes of course the risk is minimised if you wash your hands, but people do silly things without thinking about it like touching your face, touching handles, etc, and there is vastly less chance of an envelope that has been handled by one person being infected than notes or coins that might have been handled by 30 different people in the past 3 days. Just common sense really, especially if the referee then leaves the envelope for three days before opening it.

My 8th friendly of the season on Sunday and I've just been informed that I will have my fee handed to me in an envelope. First covid measure I've seen in action and a very welcome one

Just common sense really, especially if the referee then leaves the envelope for three days before opening it
Like quarantining stuff from the postie, I won't be waiting 3 days. It's not anthrax. I dunno, I pay attention to credible risk, but have no time for this stuff

The Sunday League I referee in is fantastically well organised. We had a mothers meeting... decided to lead by example on match days, even if the teams showed no interest, but I'm only talking about the stuff that might actually make a minute difference. As referees, I see it as our duty to set 'the' standard, but we have to believe in what's important... being paid in cash is not on my list

We took advice, there is evidence that the virus lasts longer on solid items like coins than paper, plus not many referees want their £35 paid in coins anyway. We also want to discourage clubs from collecting money from players on the day, as per guidance, and that would be the main reason that a referee is paid with some or all coins.

And yes of course the risk is minimised if you wash your hands, but people do silly things without thinking about it like touching your face, touching handles, etc, and there is vastly less chance of an envelope that has been handled by one person being infected than notes or coins that might have been handled by 30 different people in the past 3 days. Just common sense really, especially if the referee then leaves the envelope for three days before opening it.
I get that, but paper money does not exist....its plastic, no different to metal coins...........

I get that, but paper money does not exist....its plastic, no different to metal coins...........

Probably a fair point, although the point about discouraging clubs from collecting match day subs from players to pay the referee is more than valid.

Probably a fair point, although the point about discouraging clubs from collecting match day subs from players to pay the referee is more than valid.
Covid-19 has been an absolute boon to those wanting to make changes.

For example, The FA is making the use of the Matchday App compulsory from next season - what better time than now to promote it as a means of supporting Covid-19 precautions.

Likewise, those who found that the cost of office space was becoming prohibitive, what better time than now to provide all your staff with permission to work from home. This probably saves your company money on heat, light and power, transferring these costs to the employees.

Another example is the high cost of building, leasing and maintaining large retail units, what better time than now to switch to online sales.

And finally, the cost/security issues around the handing, storing and transporting physical cash has been a thorn in the sides of the banking system for a few decades, providing one of the biggest drivers for maintaining an expensive network of branches. What better time than now to switch to a contactless payment system removing the need for cash. The benefits must be pretty big for the banks otherwise why would they risk the increased potential loss from an increase in contactless limit from £30 to £45 (50%!!!).

The only constant is change and people need to get used to it. If I was still refereeing, I'd rather wait a few days to be paid online than handle notes or coins that may have passed through 12 or more pairs of hands in the week before I received it.

What better time than now to switch to a contactless payment system removing the need for cash. The benefits must be pretty big for the banks otherwise why would they risk the increased potential loss from an increase in contactless limit from £30 to £45 (50%!!!).

The only constant is change and people need to get used to it. If I was still refereeing, I'd rather wait a few days to be paid online than handle notes or coins that may have passed through 12 or more pairs of hands in the week before I received it.

A cashless society might work well for banks and businesses. I'm not sure that charity collectors would share your enthusiasm. As a society we could also say goodbye to such things as small markets, jumble sales, car boot sales etc. To say nothing of how state-dependent people would operate. How many homeless people do you know that have a debit card? The concept of "embracing change" is a nice soundbite but in the modern technological world we still have cash for a reason.

Moreover, regarding the payment of referee's match fees - it's no big deal for the club sec/coach/whatever to hand the ref an envelope with the money in it. Id take it back home, put it in my wallet, (where it's likely stay for several days anyway) and wash my hands.

The finality of doing the fixture, being physically paid and leaving the venue all within a few hours is something you as a referee are able to control.

Ensuring you're paid (in cash) is something you're able to control before you go. Once you've left the venue, you have literally no tangible control over when/how/if you get paid your match fee correctly. Get back home, wait a couple of days, check your bank - no payment/wrong payment - then what? More time spent chasing/phoning/e mailing club or league secretary. The variables on what could go wrong and the sheer hassle of it are endless.

I am of course just playing Devil's advocate here and the above is the worst case scenario, but not all change is good. ;)

I’ve done a fair few pre-seasons so far.

One club has been notably more pro-active than all the others with respect to Covid, and when they booked me in to do my first game with them they asked if I was OK to be paid by BACS, which I was.

ive now done three games for that team and no going cap in hand at the end of the game, like some latter day Oliver Twist, “please sir, can I have my match fee.” Just a quick, “cheers fellas” as I’m leaving the ground and next day the money appears in my account. I Can quickly check it’s been paid in by opening an app on my phone - probably quicker than counting a mix of notes and coins!

Compared to Having to knock on the door of the home team changing room at the end of a game (when you might not be their favourite person) and hang around in the cold for 10 mins on a Sunday morning whilst the manager/captain begrudgingly collects in subs from his players before handing your cash over to you (whilst reminding you that “it was never a penalty”) I’ll take electronic payment every time.

Back