A&H

Marriner - city v tot

WilliamD

Level 4 Referee
Such a clear push on sterling in the box - text book pen and RC. Anyone have a theory on why Marriner and team didn't call it? Clearly they saw it...

The Referee Store
Just back from the game...its a game changer, pen and red card at 2-1 with 15 mins left. Instead they equalise seconds later.

It's a clear pen, walker has admitted to pushing him in a post match interview as well!

As a ref it can be easy to miss a push if players are in line to your position, however surely Marriner's assistant should have seen it.

Anyone else pick up on the commentary team's lack of knowledge of the updated laws during the 1st half? Offside given for player running back into his own half and free kick duely taken in own half cue surprise from Ian Darke, McManaman and Glenn Hoodle insisting offside shouldn't have been given...

As a ref it can be easy to miss a push if players are in line to your position, however surely Marriner's assistant should have seen it.

Anyone else pick up on the commentary team's lack of knowledge of the updated laws during the 1st half? Offside given for player running back into his own half and free kick duely taken in own half cue surprise from Ian Darke, McManaman and Glenn Hoodle insisting offside shouldn't have been given...

Ha you should have heard the fans ranting around me, I was laughing at them! Clueless...

Ha you should have heard the fans ranting around me, I was laughing at them! Clueless...

Snap. Had to explain to loads around me that the FK had been taken from the right place, lack of knowledge is frightening.

In terms of the decision, stone wall pen and RC. Once again proves that being honest gets you nowhere. So, so frustrating that Spurs score the equaliser seconds later.

Reactions: es1
In terms of the decision, stone wall pen and RC. Once again proves that being honest gets you nowhere. So, so frustrating that Spurs score the equaliser seconds later.

As a Tottenham fan, what can I say? "It's a contact sport" ;):cool:.

Obviously, on a more serious note, shocking decision and Spurs got extremely lucky to get what might prove to be a critical point. That said, very surprised that the 'stamp' on Walker's ankle in the first half wasn't at least a Yellow and overall feels like payback for the recent game won for City by Ballotelli when he should have been off the pitch. What goes around, comes around .....

Obviously, on a more serious note, shocking decision and Spurs got extremely lucky to get what might prove to be a critical point. That said, very surprised that the 'stamp' on Walker's ankle in the first half wasn't at least a Yellow and overall feels like payback for the recent game won for City by Ballotelli when he should have been off the pitch. What goes around, comes around .....

That recent game was half a decade ago!

How about the 2 spurs offside goals or penalty in the two games last season!?

That said I though marinner was very lenient with us 1st half after 2 early spurs cautions. I counted 3 (that incident included) that should have been cautions - kolarov (before he was cautioned!) and otamendi.

Overall a poor game for Marinner and his team - on the back of to he Mike Dean stuff our friends are in the news a bit too much for the wrong reasons at the mo.

Also I had a bad game two weeks ago so I'm part of the problem ;-)

I love Shaggy but he is a very poor commentator, in fact it's a good job they do have Mr Webb because they aren't very law knowledgeable.

Pretty tenuous link there, Russell...that was five years ago! :hmmm:

I must admit though, we got away with a couple in the first half and my initial reaction was 'oh s***' when Otamendi put that challenge in. Really poor performance by Marriner all round, felt like he was in the way of the play quite a lot too!

*Hedgehog armour on*

Professional footballer. If you can't score from 6/7 yards how can you score from 12? Clear foul, clear advantage. Tough luck show pony.

Let's flip this, whistle goes, Sterling scores, penalty is flubbed. Cue derision at not playing the advantage.

Professional footballer. If you can't score from 6/7 yards how can you score from 12? Clear foul, clear advantage.

The push is only just inside the 18 yard box and his shot, which is from more than 12 yards, is clearly affected by the fact he's off balance due to the push.

As an Arsenal fan I was very happy with the result of that game, and I think Marriner is one of the better premiership referees but he got that one wrong.

The push is only just inside the 18 yard box and his shot, which is from more than 12 yards, is clearly affected by the fact he's off balance due to the push.

As an Arsenal fan I was very happy with the result of that game, and I think Marriner is one of the better premiership referees but he got that one wrong.

Fair comments but with a salary greater than the GNP of a small island nation you should still be able to put those away. Top of your profession and all that.

Happy to admit I'm taking a harder line on this than some but to paraphrase Spiderman, with great income comes great expectation.

Let's flip this, whistle goes, Sterling scores, penalty is flubbed. Cue derision at not playing the advantage.
Why would the whistle go? If you play the advantage, you're allowed to hold off on the whistle for "a few seconds" (way longer than the time elapsed between the push and the shot, which was less than a second) to see if the advantage accrues or not. If he scores fine, if not you award the penalty.

Why would the whistle go? If you play the advantage, you're allowed to hold off on the whistle for "a few seconds" (way longer than the time elapsed between the push and the shot, which was less than a second) to see if the advantage accrues or not. If he scores fine, if not you award the penalty.

I think you misunderstand me here. I am suggesting that this was potentially a no win situation for Marriner. The situation I describe is hypothetical, but plausible. Split second decision here, penalty or advantage. Taking into account skill level (leaving out my facetiousness over salary! :D) this is an elite player, the odds on him scoring there are greater IMO than him missing purely based on this level of ability. Fouled or not, the opportunity was still there.

I think you misunderstand me here. I am suggesting that this was potentially a no win situation for Marriner. The situation I describe is hypothetical, but plausible. Split second decision here, penalty or advantage. Taking into account skill level (leaving out my facetiousness over salary! :D) this is an elite player, the odds on him scoring there are greater IMO than him missing purely based on this level of ability. Fouled or not, the opportunity was still there.
I don't agree with the main thrust of your argument but I think that the idea that the opportunity was still there is interesting. There is no doubt that Sterling was fouled but a goal scoring opportunity was clearly not denied as he got a shot off, it was just made more difficult - something which Walker admitted he was trying to do.

For me, at the moment Sterling was pushed he effectively had a penalty to be awarded. If advantage is played (whether signalled or not) then for the advantage to accrue the result has to be better than a penalty ie a goal. If the goal is not scored then the penalty should be awarded. (I don't buy the "two bites of a cherry" argument, it doesn't seem to apply elsewhere on the pitch player who is pushed and then shanks a pass out of play because he is off balance is awarded the FK, not told that he had his chance and should have done better.) However, if the penalty is awarded after the shot is taken then I don't think it should be a red because the GSO was not D...is that madness?

Unfortunately, the best thing for Sterling to do would be to take a dive without taking a shot- that way he gets an opponent sent off and a penalty - and until this is addressed then players will continue to make the most of any contact in the penalty area.

Unfortunately, the best thing for Sterling to do would be to take a dive without taking a shot- that way he gets an opponent sent off and a penalty - and until this is addressed then players will continue to make the most of any contact in the penalty area.
He'd probably be booked for the dive. That was two consecutive matches where he was denied a penalty. Anyone like to venture why Otamendi got a yellow for being pushed over (and only a yellow for Deli for the push)?

Advantage is probably the greyest part of the laws and open to the greatest subjective interpretation.

On my football pitch if I play advantage and the player , who has regained balance etc, shanks it into the crowd then tough. If I have improved his a tracking potential and he doesn't take it then I am not going to pull play back to give him another go- it's not advantage in the rugby sense of the word. Would help us enormously if it was, but it isn't.

Advantage is probably the greyest part of the laws and open to the greatest subjective interpretation.

On my football pitch if I play advantage and the player , who has regained balance etc, shanks it into the crowd then tough. If I have improved his a tracking potential and he doesn't take it then I am not going to pull play back to give him another go- it's not advantage in the rugby sense of the word. Would help us enormously if it was, but it isn't.
In this instance Sterling hadn't regained his balance, his shot was arguably weaker and less well directed than if he hadn't been pushed. My argument is that it is perfectly acceptable in this instance to play the advantage, see that no advantage had accrued and give the penalty (but not give a red because although it was a push rather than an attempt to play the ball it did not deny a GSO). I know a lot of referees would say that the shot was the advantage so bad luck to Sterling.

I feel that this attitude encourages players to "make the most of contact", if Sterling had not strained to get the shot off but instead had used the fairly hefty shove as an excuse to fall over, he would almost certainly been awarded a penalty and Walker would have been sent off. For doing exactly what we all feel that players should be doing - not exaggerating contact and desperately trying to stay on his feet - Sterling has cost his team and excellent chance of a goal. The message that he will undoubtedly receive from his manager is "next time someone pushes you in the back, fall over!"

If we want to reduce the instances of diving then it would be a good first step for referees to more frequently allow advantage in this sort of situation and then bring it back if a goal is not scored as, in my opinion, the laws allow.

Back