A&H

Managing "Fights" for the Ball After a Goal

NOVARef

There is nothing special about this particular situation but it got me thinking...I was watching a match last night and one team tied it up late, and as you've probably seen dozens of times, the scorer sprinted into the goal to grab the ball just as the GK was picking it up and then teammates got involved. No punches or hard pushes or anything. Just some chest bumping, pulling at the ball, etc. The referee got in there quick while blowing his whistle like a mad man and the altercation diffused pretty quickly. He talked to his AR (linesman) and he ended up giving a YC to both the GK and the scorer who started the altercation. What would the YC be for? and How do you handle these situations? What do you look for? I thought I read that you should give the benefit of the doubt to the defending team because it's their ball for kick off. Any thoughts? Thanks.

The Referee Store
Sanction would be C1. Normally AA (Aggressive Attitude) in our system as caution code if it's a bog standard handbags altercation

There are many things in our games that can surprise us, but this is one of those nice predictable ones. In most matches, if the game situation is as you describe it, this will happen as sure as night follows day. My advice would be don't wait for it to start. Be proactive, move assertively to a nice close position and manage it - if you can with your voice and presence rather than whistling like a madman. That just makes it sound like you've lost control and can even act as a bit of an invitation for short-fuse players to think there is something to get involved with.

The ball has to get to the centre spot and all the players have to be in their own halves of the field before you restart, so it really doesn't matter who picks up the ball first. If the keeper picks it up it's 'Leave it' to the attacking team. Vice versa if a forward picks it up.

It can actually be a nice opportunity to demonstrate your match control and awareness to players, manager and spectators ; and as a billy bonus to any observer who happens to be sitting in the stand !

Things to consider
The defending team is entitled to the ball as it would be their restart.
The attacking team is entitled to a restart by the defending team within a reasonable amount of time
The attacking team can facilitated the restart by taking the ball to the centre if the ball is free

Presence is the best way to avoid altercations. If the keeper already has the ball or just about to grab it ask attacker to walk away as it is not their restart. However it can't always be avoided. If it does become a farce generally a yellow to each side is the best way to handle it. From time to time a yellow for delaying the restart is also practical as the only reason the keeper grapples for the ball is to prevent a timely restart. In this case to avoided the card, and prevent frustration from the opponents, hurry them along to get the game started.

Things to consider
The defending team is entitled to the ball as it would be their restart.
The attacking team is entitled to a restart by the defending team within a reasonable amount of time
The attacking team can facilitated the restart by taking the ball to the centre if the ball is free but this is a risky option which should only be exercised when the chance of confrontation is low.

Presence is the best way to avoid altercations. If the keeper already has the ball or just about to grab it ask attacker to walk away as it is not their restart. However it can't always be avoided. If it does become a farce generally a yellow to each side is the best way to handle it. From time to time a yellow for delaying the restart is also practical as the only reason the keeper grapples for the ball is to prevent a timely restart. In this case to avoided the card, and prevent frustration from the opponents, hurry them along to get the game started.

I agree with all of this, except I would add a single caveat, which is bolded above. This is an area wherein you can manage and facilitate the speed of the restart and you can determine what is a reasonable amount of time. The match being close and the losing side wanting to restart very quick is not a reason to require the winning side to sprint to position. Allowing the losing team to facilitate the restart is a risk because it always has the potential to devolve into something foolish. My advice is to avoid this risk, and always have the team who have just conceded take the ball to the centre of the field -- and hurry them along or book them if you have to.

My advice is to avoid this risk, and always have the team who have just conceded take the ball to the centre of the field
I can see where you are coming from but being too prescriptive can cause you trouble that may be unnecessary.
A goal is scored. Conceding team drops their head and couldn't care less about the ball. Scoring team grabs the ball to take to centre circle. Are you going to tell them to drop it so that the conceding team can take it?

If the scoring team wants to take the ball to the centre circle and it's not causing any issues, of course they can. But if you can anticipate issues then by all means get them to leave it as it's not their restart.

I can see where you are coming from but being too prescriptive can cause you trouble that may be unnecessary.
A goal is scored. Conceding team drops their head and couldn't care less about the ball. Scoring team grabs the ball to take to centre circle. Are you going to tell them to drop it so that the conceding team can take it?

If the scoring team wants to take the ball to the centre circle and it's not causing any issues, of course they can. But if you can anticipate issues then by all means get them to leave it as it's not their restart.
You're right. I shouldn't have said always. I meant usually. I would also add, though, that if I can, then I will always prevent the attacking team from taking the ball (because the presence of the attacking team trying to take the ball may 'alert' the defending team who was previously not even thinking about it).

Back in 2009/10 the interpretation section of the LOTG stated "provoking a confrontation by deliberately touching the ball after the referee has stopped play"
Prior to that I remember guidance (our Laws historian will know) making it a cautionable offence to gather the ball from the net after their side had scored.

Back in 2009/10 the interpretation section of the LOTG stated "provoking a confrontation by deliberately touching the ball after the referee has stopped play"
Prior to that I remember guidance (our Laws historian will know) making it a cautionable offence to gather the ball from the net after their side had scored.

Yeah, I haven't been given that guideline in some time; best bet is to not let it happen.

i tend to shout "the watch has stopped so there's no rush in getting the ball' and that has worked for me for many years.
Something similar I recommend when I am observing. Move towards the potential flashpoint, and shout " I'm watching and the watch is stopped. be sensible". Just your presence tends to calm stupidity down.

There is nothing special about this particular situation but it got me thinking...I was watching a match last night and one team tied it up late, and as you've probably seen dozens of times, the scorer sprinted into the goal to grab the ball just as the GK was picking it up and then teammates got involved. No punches or hard pushes or anything. Just some chest bumping, pulling at the ball, etc. The referee got in there quick while blowing his whistle like a mad man and the altercation diffused pretty quickly. He talked to his AR (linesman) and he ended up giving a YC to both the GK and the scorer who started the altercation. What would the YC be for? and How do you handle these situations? What do you look for? I thought I read that you should give the benefit of the doubt to the defending team because it's their ball for kick off. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Sounds like a "mass confrontation" or "melee" was started by the incident, which generally has to have some consequence.

In these instance we look to deal with, at minimum, the instigator and retaliator, and usually opt for a C1 caution. In England we are likely to categorise this as adopting aggressive attitude. Although it there is pushing and shoving can easily be SP pushing or pulling as well. Whichever fits the closest to what actually happened.

Of course you are correct in that the restart belongs to the team who have conceded the goal so I tend to try and be aware that there is a chance the attackers are going to attempt to 'rush' the process of restarting, so its about being present and preventative. All to often referees (me) switch off at goals and a goal should actually have the opposite effect, we should come alive and be aware of what's happening now and that generally the temperature of a game is lifted, at least temporarily, after a goal is scored.

(Sigh) Just another example of when adults get the bizarre compulsion to behave like children and we as referees are then expected to behave like a school teacher/police officer!! :rolleyes:

I'm of the opinion that all my job is at that moment is to give a quick but loud shout and then let them get on with earning their cautions/reds as the behaviour fits!!

Cynical Of Somerset.

The authorities could eaily stamp this out. The same as they did with goal celebrations...just set a rule that only the defending team can return it back to the centre spot, and any time taken will be added to the additional time at the end of the game. Both teams can then settle, get their shape back, and continue

The authorities could eaily stamp this out. The same as they did with goal celebrations...just set a rule that only the defending team can return it back to the centre spot, and any time taken will be added to the additional time at the end of the game. Both teams can then settle, get their shape back, and continue
IFAB did a trial of restricting the attacking team from touching the ball and decided it didn’t work well. I don’t recall the details.

There may very well have been guidance about not letting the scoring team gather the ball but it was never specified in law as a cautionable offence that I'm aware of.

As far as the "provoking a confrontation by ..." clause goes, that's still in the law but then as now, it comes in the section on "Delaying the restart of play." So once again, I don't believe it's ever been a specific offence in and of itself to pick up the ball after your team has scored, only when it leads to a delay in the restart.

Back