A&H

Manager cards in the Prem

The Referee Store
Yet another 'solution' to a problem that doesn't really exist. Referees are perfectly capable of dealing with dissent and abuse now. They just choose not to. Get them to deal with it as a group - that's the only way anything will change.

We tried this in Australia in the A-League last season. It may have helped a little, but that's only because some referees were excited at the prospect of getting to card a manager.

The problem it didn't fix was referee bias towards certain managers - some managers cop a card for almost nothing, others still get away with blue murder week after week and nothing. The same ones.

Why book managers? Why not have them removed? My tolerance for behaviour from the technical area is significantly lower than on the field. I cannot think of an instance where I, as referee, would ever caution a manager. I would, however, remove him should I need to come over and deal with it.

Why book managers? Why not have them removed? My tolerance for behaviour from the technical area is significantly lower than on the field. I cannot think of an instance where I, as referee, would ever caution a manager. I would, however, remove him should I need to come over and deal with it.
Really? You never warn managers first?

In my state (Indiana, USA) all state leagues issue cards to coaches/managers. Some regional leagues (multiple states) do not but it is highly effective in my opinion. It is a very visible and clear warning/dismissal that greatly impacts conduct of bench personnel, spectators, and players when it occurs. I would like to see this adopted. It takes away any question about what is going on and where it is headed if irresponsible behavior does not stop.

Just like sin-bin, these have obvious impacts during a honeymoon/novelty period. There would still be some impact for a while but once they become the norm (possibly a few seasons) we will be back to square one with the behaviour the same with just a different process of dealing with it.

They are band aid solutions to deeper problems of cultural issues developed in football of attitude towards referees and their decisions. They do not fix the issue, only mask it for a short while.

Just like sin-bin, these have obvious impacts during a honeymoon/novelty period. There would still be some impact for a while but once they become the norm (possibly a few seasons) we will be back to square one with the behaviour the same with just a different process of dealing with it.

They are band aid solutions to deeper problems of cultural issues developed in football of attitude towards referees and their decisions. They do not fix the issue, only mask it for a short while.

I agree. They'll just get another member of their backroom staff to do the dirty work from the bench, no doubt !

I am much, much harsher on managers than I am on players. You have to cut out the problem at it's cause, not effect, and if the manager is questioning every decision that is the cause. He'll get a warning first, but failing to heed that warning he will be disappearing.

Back