A&H

Manager cards in the Prem

Sheffields Finest

Maybe I'm foolish, maybe I'm blind!
Level 7 Referee
Let’s get ready to see if this works..... I really hope so because it’s become a theatre on the sides and it needs addressing... not sure if it will drift down to the Dog & Duck but let’s see!

The Referee Store
Clearly not in the LOTG at all. It was one thing for leagues to trial sin bins and VAR which were added to the LOTG but these are new laws being considered and not added yet. Dangerous territory IMO.

Don’t get me wrong - I think it’s generally a v good idea. Clear to the audience when a manger gets a yellow and when he gets sent off. I’d be very happy to see this in law....but don’t like leagues making up new laws.

I have long considered at top level, the 4th should be able to dismiss the coach, ni fuss, no bringing ref over, no drawing attention to it, just the 4th instructing the coach to leave. Simple

Watched the Legia game last night, ref warns coach, then ten mins later dismisses coach, as 4th stands there like a spare pr1ck. Pointless

Australian A-league trialed this last season and apparently it worked well.

The directive goes against the lotg?

Am I missing something?
Trials of this were authorised in IFAB Circular 10, issued 13 June 2017, as follows:
Confederations may apply to conduct trials in their tournaments for:
• A different order of kickers for Kicks from the Penalty Mark (see above)
• Showing the red card (RC) and yellow card (YC) to team officials for irresponsible behaviour
For permission to participate or further information, please contact secretary@theifab.com.

I quite like the idea. I think it (the use of cards) gets the message across quite well. :)

Great idea.I think it will also help younger refs deal with older coaches.Easier to use cards for a level 9 then to try and bin a manager. IFAB should have just introduced it across the board. I can't see any issues with this at all.

I’m surprised one of the traffic wardens on here wouldn’t have spotted this addition a long time ago. One of the better ideas TBH

Last edited:
I quite like the idea. I think it (the use of cards) gets the message across quite well. :)
Agree completely. Cards are well understood, wheras if you just go over to give a warning, it can be very unclear if it was just a chat or a proper "this is your last chance" moment.

It won't be used in the Premier League, but will be used in the Football League, National League, and FA Cup.

How will it work if it's there's a player-manager?
Just treat him as a player, I would think. Bringing in yellow and red cards brings players and managers in line in terms of sanction so 2 cautions = red = out of the game in any capacity.

I think this will remove the whole you've been dismissed as manager but can sub on as player still.

I hope this is clarified though..

Great question!.

I think it's a good idea. Symbolic red card better than ambiguity associated with verbals on the touchline

What about the No2s and coaches?? Remember the coach that barged Sterling in the World Cup?? Bin them all for misbehaviour for me!!

Maybe I have selective memory, but, certainly the six nations rugby etc, the managers are usually in the boxes at the back of the stands?
The manager on touchline in football is purely for show.
Old story done the rounds here for years, Rangers at Ibrox, Advocaat was manager, free kick goes to other team and Dick comes storming out dugout to complain, hands everywhere, the usual war dance. 4th says to him, "Dick, whats the fuss for, thats clearly a foul"
Dick "I know that but I got 50,000 folk wanting to see me look like I care"....

It was quite funny last season seeing Warnocks histrionics in a Cardiff coat to stuff that I’m sure he’d be smirking at in a Blades one... Nothing wrong with a bit of passion but it’s got to be almost part of the side show.

Warnock certainly manipulates the situation to deflect from his own failings
It is indeed all a show. Turn the focus onto the referee, or indeed Warnock (Holloway made a career out of it too) and by 6pm you have forgotten the score of the game, all you know of is the rant
Strachen too, SAF when things looked shaky, its an art form in itself and full marks to the guys who spin it
Blame deflection.
The managers performances are all integral to the showbiz soccer circus

Luckily for majority of us at grass roots, its just a scary looking bald man in an oversized Umbro jacket that we need to worry about.

Maybe I have selective memory, but, certainly the six nations rugby etc, the managers are usually in the boxes at the back of the stands?
The manager on touchline in football is purely for show.
Old story done the rounds here for years, Rangers at Ibrox, Advocaat was manager, free kick goes to other team and Dick comes storming out dugout to complain, hands everywhere, the usual war dance. 4th says to him, "Dick, whats the fuss for, thats clearly a foul"
Dick "I know that but I got 50,000 folk wanting to see me look like I care"....
There's an Advocaat Warninks joke just screaming to come out here but it needs braver hands than mine to fashion it.... even then I feel there's only appeal for those who can remember Mexico 86!

Back