The Ref Stop

Man Utd v Tottenham

Donate to RefChat

Help keep RefChat running, any donation would be appreciated

ladbroke8745

RefChat Addict
Wow.
What a mess.

Bentacur was, in my opinion unlucky to be sent off when we've seen that type of head to head go unpunished (with a red that is) with Shaw absolutely milking it...
However, despite getting the ball, I'd argue it was a foul in the first place as felt the speed and distance that challenge came and with a raised leg to stop the ball was minimum reckless.

How Shaw got away without a red is beyond me.
Following that challenge, he made a beeline for Bentacur, ran straight at him and pushed him with both hands to the floor. He had to run to him to make that push therefore can argue went in premeditated. And got away with just a caution for that. Surprised.
 
The Ref Stop
Think the ref got it spot on personally

Bentacur deffo butts him, rather than 'just going head to head' . Don't think shaw crosses the line for a red
 
I think Shaw should have seen red as well, definitely excessive force used by running towards and deliberately pushing the player over.
 
I can't believe anyone would think that isn't a red card, he made contact with significant force and just had to be sent off. I also wouldn't say Shaw milked it as 99% of players would have gone to ground after contact like that, Shaw just held his head.

I don't think there was enough for a red for Shaw given the push was chest rather than anything higher. I actually thought Stuart Attwell handled the whole incident perfectly, yellow for Van Hecke for the first lunge on Shaw, yellow for Shaw's reaction and red for Bentancur. There's possibly an argument to say that Bentancur would have been walking anyway as he could have received a caution for the lunge on Shaw, it was pretty much identical as the one Van Hecke made a second before, and the head contact had to be a minimum of a caution.
 
In the professional game today, for better or worse, that isn’t an expected red. Different story in my games.

(I think not too long ago, even at the professional level, it would have been a red—at least where it triggered a VC response.)
 
I’m amazed fellow refs on here seem to think Shaw shoving someone isn’t a red, aswell 🤦‍♂️
Because the guidelines for pushes have always been neck and above is red, below the neck is a caution. It is almost written into law now given it specifically talks about the head or face in the VC part of law 12. There have been lots of cases of a two handed push to the chest being sanctioned as a caution, I can think of far less resulting in a sending off.
 
"In addition, a player who, when not challenging for the ball, deliberately strikes an opponent or any other person on the head or face with the hand or arm, is guilty of violent conduct unless the force used was negligible". Doesn't that apply to when a player is challenging for the ball ?
 
Because the guidelines for pushes have always been neck and above is red, below the neck is a caution. It is almost written into law now given it specifically talks about the head or face in the VC part of law 12. There have been lots of cases of a two handed push to the chest being sanctioned as a caution, I can think of far less resulting in a sending off.
Sounds like Shaw knew what he was doing to manipulate the system. Perhaps he committed a professional foul to enrage Bentancur into committing a red card offence, which he duly obliged with?

Running up to him to push like that is definitely premeditated and I'd say potential violent conduct worthy of a red as strongly shoving someone backwards could injure them.
 
Sounds like Shaw knew what he was doing to manipulate the system. Perhaps he committed a professional foul to enrage Bentancur into committing a red card offence, which he duly obliged with?

Running up to him to push like that is definitely premeditated and I'd say potential violent conduct worthy of a red as strongly shoving someone backwards could injure them.
Exactly ! if they keep letting players get away with this, with a view to getting oppo players sent off, they'll keep on doing it
 
Exactly ! if they keep letting players get away with this, with a view to getting oppo players sent off, they'll keep on doing it
They will if the opponents are stupid enough to rise to it. They know if they move their head to an opponent and make significant contact they are walking, but they still do it.
 
Was Shaw running 20 yards to push someone square in the chest not a violent act? Excessive force when not challenging for ball? I’d say yes and it should be a red card - but for some reason isn’t!
If I was playing and had to face a 2 handed shove to my chest from someone with a running start or a nudge to my face, give me the nudge all day!
 
Betancur sold that POUNCE!.. I mean push, like a pro. RevPro, CMLL, or TNA will be on the phone to offer him a contract!

^ This is me applying the same logic as Shaw milking the head contact.Nowhere near enough force to send him flying like that, so definitely milked it.

I’m happy with the caution for Shaw here. Other players will do it and get yellow.

And Betancur is going regardless - the foul before was not an attempt for the ball; Van Hecke missed the man so this was at the very least an attempt to break up the attack if not a serious foul play wipeout. And then both react unnecessarily aggressively to each other so he’s on a double caution.

Parallels being drawn on social media to Fernandes and Foden don’t help. Different scenario entirely
 
I thought Attwell was excellent, spot on, a push will always be AA, a head contact with forward momentum red. I think football world expects that. Bentacur was understandably peeved so push him back & get a yellow too, head contact was only going to result in red.
 
Back
Top