A&H

Man United vs Arsenal

I’ve only half got an eye for it tbf, thought it had gone out for a goal kick.

I swear I saw this in a thread the other day. Inclined to say it was One (maybe? And Big Cat I think as well) who questioned whether reds aren’t giving decisions they would in the past and are relying on VAR. either way, they got a lot of disagreement. I feel they could be right
It was and was exactly my point in post #15

The Referee Store
Can you blokes see this video or is it geoblocked.
If it is it's after the ref allows the goal when De Gea went down and is swamped by half a dozen Manu U players.

Why can they not bring out a directive that that will be an automatic yellow card going forward.

Needs to be stamped out a the highest levels. No referee, particularly an amateur gumby ref like me, wants (or should have) to deal with players in their faces. 1 player only to be allowed to talk to the ref, everyone else, 5 metres away.

Think @Big Cat has a point...
I’ve only half got an eye for it tbf, thought it had gone out for a goal kick.

I swear I saw this in a thread the other day. Inclined to say it was One (maybe? And Big Cat I think as well) who questioned whether reds aren’t giving decisions they would in the past and are relying on VAR. either way, they got a lot of disagreement. I feel they could be right
Am very rarely wrong TBF! 🤓
Go ask @RustyRef

One thing that gets lost in my message, is that I know the refs are not as bad as the game and VAR makes them look. Quite the opposite
I seek logical explanations for things that don't make sense. Some call it conspiracy theory but my thinking is quite the opposite
There is no plausible way the EPL refs are as bad as their KMDs suggest. Repeated strong evidence suggests they don't care about scores... They're working to instruction and are not judged on the same basis as the rest of us. They're not crap. They're elite individuals and I mean that

Last edited:
No. No you aren't. Stood still. Looking right at it.
That's an over reliance on the.video ref in my opinion.
I told you so in the VAR thread 😊. Was that you or someone else who were arguing against it?

With VAR, refs won't call some things that they would have otherwise called. Unintended side effect of VAR which I am not happy with.

Can you blokes see this video or is it geoblocked.
If it is it's after the ref allows the goal when De Gea went down and is swamped by half a dozen Manu U players.

Why can they not bring out a directive that that will be an automatic yellow card going forward.

Needs to be stamped out a the highest levels. No referee, particularly an amateur gumby ref like me, wants (or should have) to deal with players in their faces. 1 player only to be allowed to talk to the ref, everyone else, 5 metres away.

Well, the referee, me, you, and indeed this match referee has the tools in his box to sanction this.....

if we dont see fit to caution 4/5 players bang bang bang, then we are masters of our own downfall

back to the opening goal, goal, cant be anything else, its hardly the most outrageous goal of all time, and I dont understand the delay in confirming it
where var looking for a foul on the gk?
The checking of the refs whistle?

either way, we dont want this happening at our pub league game, no other way round it, it will result in mass protest

Should MA have stopped the game for the injury to the keeper?
I don't think so. Not given the time frame involved and with a shot already on its way into the net.

That's not a serious enough injury to warrant play being stopped immediately, as far as I'm concerned.

No reason for De Gea to go down like that
the reason is he found what he thought was an opportunity to stop the arsenal attack. He should be heavily criticised for it by United fans for having no kind of awareness of what’s going on around him

the reason is he found what he thought was an opportunity to stop the arsenal attack. He should be heavily criticised for it by United fans for having no kind of awareness of what’s going on around him
A cynical view and whilst/ I would not advocate anyone allowing this to happen at the weekend I do happen to think awarding the goal in such a high profile game should discourage this sort of attempt to stop attacks. We could have ended up with a plague of goalkeepers feigning injury to stop attacks

Agree completely - he went down because he thought the game would be stopped for him. If he knew it was going to continue, he would have hopped around for a second or two and attempted (and probably succeeded) to make the save, it wasn't a particularly good shot.

Agree completely - he went down because he thought the game would be stopped for him. If he knew it was going to continue, he would have hopped around for a second or two and attempted (and probably succeeded) to make the save, it wasn't a particularly good shot.

I might have the wrong player but i think its Vidic quoted as, broken nose can mend, but losing a goal cannot be fixed, or something like that.

am pleased this goal stands, one, because its a valld goal, and two, some players truly believe they are bigger than the sport.

no reason why he could not have seen out that phase of play, and then fallen over for treatment. If his priority is doing everything for the team, he makes the save
if his priority is him, he does as he did

Fred did stud De Gea’s ankle tbf, horrific challenge 😂

Can only presume the United players didn’t know Fred fouled De Gea with the intensity of appeals

He was back on his feet a few minutes later, no sign of a limp or any injury whatsoever.

I suspect that De Gea thought it was an Arsenal player that caught him and he made as much of it as possible to try and win a free kick. Backfired spectacularly!

Actually, the only thing Atkinson did wrong was not cautioning the gk for simulation!

now that would have been the icing on the cake

Actually, the only thing Atkinson did wrong was not cautioning the gk for simulation!

now that would have been the icing on the cake
Not sure simulation was possible, because Fred did stand on De Geas ankle which probably did hurt quite a bit.

Not sure simulation was possible, because Fred did stand on De Geas ankle which probably did hurt quite a bit.

I was not being serious....

but, his actions were entirely to decieve the referee ( am seriously hurt stop the game) When the reality was, am going to lie down here, the game will then be stopped

Last edited:
What was Atkinson's original decision? He didn't do the imaginary TV screen ‘VAR’ signal so perhaps his original decision was a goal?

Up for debate, if Atkinson had decided the stop play when ball was still in flight before entering goal but blew whistle after ball entered goal, is it still a goal?

Up for debate, if Atkinson had decided the stop play when ball was still in flight before entering goal but blew whistle after ball entered goal, is it still a goal?
Great question :) . Technically, I think you're right, he could claim that he'd already made the decision to stop play but didn't have the chance to blow his whistle in time. In the real world, especially one where players are instructed to 'play to the whistle' I think that's unsellable and (for an incident like this) the timing of the whistle is crucial

Looking back at this incident (for the first time), I see it as a simple consequence of how 'broken' the game is
It was likely gamesmanship by De Gea, yet it's the Refereeing team that gets scrutinised
It would be a horror show if the same thing happened in one of our games. The R would seriously 'get it' regardless of the outcome
It all happened quite quickly and MA could be forgiven for not noticing in the few seconds he had to do so

Back