A&H

Man United vs Arsenal

Just a comment but here MA has done football a massive favour. This is exactly the opposite of last week's ref.
To see this on TV is amazing for grassroots football.
Don't feign or you might give away a very soft goal. Ace.

The Referee Store
Just a comment but here MA has done football a massive favour. This is exactly the opposite of last week's ref.
To see this on TV is amazing for grassroots football.
Don't feign or you might give away a very soft goal. Ace.
I don't think he meant to do us that favour. In fact he tried not to do us that favour but he was too slow. 😊

Great question :) . Technically, I think you're right, he could claim that he'd already made the decision to stop play but didn't have the chance to blow his whistle in time. In the real world, especially one where players are instructed to 'play to the whistle' I think that's unsellable and (for an incident like this) the timing of the whistle is crucial
Just comparing that to if the was a foul but the ball goes in before he blows the whistle.

From a sell-ability view point, allowing the goal was pretty hard to sell too.

From a technical view point, I think they sold the goal on a technicality, "he blow it after the ball has gone in". But we teach new refs the game is stopped when the referee decides it is stopped. A grey area the law can clarify I guess.

Well, the referee, me, you, and indeed this match referee has the tools in his box to sanction this.....

Well of course but it's a bad look that encourages dissent at the lower levels. The top level should be the standard that's expected. Why am I enforcing rules that aren't complied with at the highest levels?

You never see this sort of thing in Union for example. They've got that sorted.

Back