A&H

Liverpool vs Spurs

I guess if Diaz was in the penalty area would have been a PK. Baffling how VAR works or in this situation doesn't. I have seen send offs for less than that this season...

The Referee Store
I know it's a very "supporter" thing to say, but very surprised VAR didn't seem to get to the point of calling that a full review. Red is the right decision for me, you could make a case for not C&O, but the implication is that the ref completely missed it and VAR didn't take it that seriously.

My guess is that it was low enough to save him, any higher and it would have been a clear and obvious error.

I actually think Jota kicking Skipp in the head was far more of a red card, I was fully expecting Tierney to be sent to the screen for that. Skipp was ducking slightly, but Jota kicked him in the head 1.5m off the ground and obviously caused a serious injury. Accidental yes, but still SFP for me.

Klopp should have been sent to the stand for racing up to John Brooks to scream and celebrate in his face after the winner. Karma that he pulled his hamstring in doing it, but he should have got a red card, not a yellow in my opinion. And Mason was arguably lucky to also avoid a caution for continually confronting Brooks.

For me what’s saved Jota is that his foot is up before Skipp goes for the header. It’s Skipp’s movement that takes him into the boot.

I contrast this with those where the header is obviously committed to first and the player with the raised boot moves towards them. Jota is static, not on the move.

My guess is that it was low enough to save him, any higher and it would have been a clear and obvious error.

I actually think Jota kicking Skipp in the head was far more of a red card, I was fully expecting Tierney to be sent to the screen for that. Skipp was ducking slightly, but Jota kicked him in the head 1.5m off the ground and obviously caused a serious injury. Accidental yes, but still SFP for me.

Klopp should have been sent to the stand for racing up to John Brooks to scream and celebrate in his face after the winner. Karma that he pulled his hamstring in doing it, but he should have got a red card, not a yellow in my opinion. And Mason was arguably lucky to also avoid a caution for continually confronting Brooks.
My understanding is any higher he would have been safe as you have the shin guard, but that low there is no protection.

If Skipp would have been sent off, the Jota-Skipp incident wouldn't have happened, but myself think should have been a red in both situations.

I think Jota is a clear red. There is no wsy I can justify yellow. Yellow has to be a C&O. As Sounesd is saying: it’s a sinple call… and it’s embarassing for all the officials.

Skipp on Diaz was yellow, missed, but cannot be red.

Konate on Richarlison looks more like a penalty every time I see it.

I think Spurs can feel truly agrieved here. And as VAR-hater, for me this match justs reinforces how pointless it is.

I think Jota is a clear red. There is no wsy I can justify yellow. Yellow has to be a C&O. As Sounesd is saying: it’s a sinple call… and it’s embarassing for all the officials.

Skipp on Diaz was yellow, missed, but cannot be red.

Konate on Richarlison looks more like a penalty every time I see it.

I think Spurs can feel truly agrieved here. And as VAR-hater, for me this match justs reinforces how pointless it is.

He completely missed the ball (that would be enough to warrant a dismissal) and there were situations with players getting the whole ball, going over it or the follow up.

Agree with the PK call on Richarlison; not a chance I wouldn't be slaughtered not giving a pen at grassroots level (facepalm)...

My understanding is any higher he would have been safe as you have the shin guard, but that low there is no protection.

If Skipp would have been sent off, the Jota-Skipp incident wouldn't have happened, but myself think should have been a red in both situations.
That's down to players, when I played the pads came much lower, and even had ankle protectors. The fact they choose to play with shin pads the size of a Tic Tac is their problem.

Jota is a clear red no debate shocked at No VAR review. I think Skipp could be a red but not clear and obvious enough for me. Didn’t really get a clear view on the Konate one but it looked clean will have to seek a rewatch before further comment on that.

Without staggering into fan war, I despise Jurgen Klopp. I respect him massively as a manager but I despise him as a human. Rude to journalists, and the way he conducts himself to referees and is allowed constantly to get away with it is nothing short of disgraceful

Skipp and Jota both clear red cards IMO, cannot see how VAR hasn't recommended reviews for both. Klopp should have seen red too.

Interesting that Tierney is the ref today because whilst my memory could be wrong he referred Liverpool vs Spurs last year which again was a heated debate

(It’s always a good game tbf I swear about half of the most talked about threads on this site are about that game)

After that match Klopp said he only had a problem with one ref and it’s Tierney. Find it interesting that they’d give this fixture to Tierney again after such a debated game last year.

With Klopp again making comments towards Tierney can we pray action is taking against Klopp once and for all

They can't do anything about his antics as he was cautioned for it.

But his interview comments could land him in hot water. He seemed to be implying that Paul Tierney has a personal problem with him, that could easily be classed of accusing the referee of being less than impartial. I suspect he stopped himself just before crossing the line, but the FA will certainly be reviewing and I suspect asking him for his observations on what he said.

He completely missed the ball (that would be enough to warrant a dismissal) and there were situations with players getting the whole ball, going over it or the follow up.

Agree with the PK call on Richarlison; not a chance I wouldn't be slaughtered not giving a pen at grassroots level (facepalm)...
OK yes point of contact is higher than I thought. Pretty damning angle. I think you are right and you can go red for Skipp there.

They can't do anything about his antics as he was cautioned for it.

But his interview comments could land him in hot water. He seemed to be implying that Paul Tierney has a personal problem with him, that could easily be classed of accusing the referee of being less than impartial. I suspect he stopped himself just before crossing the line, but the FA will certainly be reviewing and I suspect asking him for his observations on what he said.
Tierney was also the ref a few weeks ago when the incident with the ARs elbow and Robertson happened. I don't like keeping officials away from teams, but this close to the end of the season, it's naieve to not try and find another official IMO.

Yet another example of how the Premier League simply does not want to see red cards. Both Skipp's play and Jota's play are SFP reds. The Skipp play is extremely dangerous - Studs flush above the ankle on the inside of the leg. Jota's play is also endangering the safety of a player. The match should have been 10 v 10.

Whether Klopp was berating Brooks or Spurs, it should be a sendoff. Directly quoting from the Laws of the Game:

(From the Team Officials misconduct section)

Sending-off offences include (but are not limited to):
  • deliberately leaving the technical area to:
    • show dissent towards, or remonstrate with, a match official
    • act in a provocative or inflammatory manner
So if Klopp is berating Brooks, the first sub-bullet applies. If he's taunting the Spurs bench, the second applies. To do nothing is another example of trying to avoid trouble or consequences for a red card (particularly since that would be Klopp's second and would probably have a longer ban for being a repeat offender).

What saved two red cards and a penalty wasn't C&O, it was VAR's unwillingness to get involved. Unlike a couple of seasons ago when they took every opportunity to make themselves useful. At least he was consistent.

I might get hounded for this, but I feel that the Jota incident owes more to the LOTG's description of playing in a dangerous manner

To quote the LOTG: "Playing in a dangerous manner is any action that, while trying to play the ball, threatens injury to someone"

The LOTG requires a tackle or challenge to be made in order for a player to be guilty of serious foul play:

"A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play."

I might get hounded for this, but I feel that the Jota incident owes more to the LOTG's description of playing in a dangerous manner

To quote the LOTG: "Playing in a dangerous manner is any action that, while trying to play the ball, threatens injury to someone"

The LOTG requires a tackle or challenge to be made in order for a player to be guilty of serious foul play:

"A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play."
I think you might. PIADM requires no contact to be made and is IDFK restart.

Yet another example of how the Premier League simply does not want to see red cards. Both Skipp's play and Jota's play are SFP reds. The Skipp play is extremely dangerous - Studs flush above the ankle on the inside of the leg. Jota's play is also endangering the safety of a player. The match should have been 10 v 10.

Whether Klopp was berating Brooks or Spurs, it should be a sendoff. Directly quoting from the Laws of the Game:

(From the Team Officials misconduct section)

Sending-off offences include (but are not limited to):
  • deliberately leaving the technical area to:
    • show dissent towards, or remonstrate with, a match official
    • act in a provocative or inflammatory manner
So if Klopp is berating Brooks, the first sub-bullet applies. If he's taunting the Spurs bench, the second applies. To do nothing is another example of trying to avoid trouble or consequences for a red card (particularly since that would be Klopp's second and would probably have a longer ban for being a repeat offender).

There is no doubt in my mind there is an incentive to keep it 11 against 11 but I'm also of a firm belief that the 'newer' SG1 referees are just not recognising SFP at all either through poor coaching or the pressure of keeping it 11vs11. I think your more experienced referees like Anthony Taylor would of produced a red card in both of those situations yet Tierney is more cautious and just produce a yellow for Jota and does not even think the first one is a foul(!)

As for Coote, well again its the classic case of not recognising SFP even looking at many replays, the fact Tierney did not even blow for a foul for Skipp's challenge suggests to me Tierney either thought he took the ball and did not see the follow through or he did not think it was a foul so surely either one of those would suggest a clear and obvious error has been made, would of been interesting if Liverpool did not win how much of an issue Klopp would of made of that because I thought it was a shocking decision by the referee and the VAR not to punish that tackle.

Slight more sympathy for them both on the Jota one, I think the lack of force(although studs showing obviously does damage) is what saved Jota there but this is definitely the orange card category and I think more people would say red than yellow. That said because of VAR, is Tierney being too cautious by showing a yellow as we mentioned on here previously, it does seem at times referees are going for the safer option as upgrading a yellow to a red via the monitor seems less of a mistake than the other way round.

Back