A&H

Liverpool vs Spurs

Skipp's tackle is a red for me. There seems to be a spate of these, where they stamp on the ankle after the ball is played. It's very dangerous and could easily break an ankle. The authorities should have realised this and "stamped" down on it.
Jota's high foot is totally excessive and should also be a staright red. How more excessive can you get than trying to kick someone in the head ?

The Referee Store
There is no doubt in my mind there is an incentive to keep it 11 against 11 but I'm also of a firm belief that the 'newer' SG1 referees are just not recognising SFP at all either through poor coaching or the pressure of keeping it 11vs11. I think your more experienced referees like Anthony Taylor would of produced a red card in both of those situations yet Tierney is more cautious and just produce a yellow for Jota and does not even think the first one is a foul(!)

As for Coote, well again its the classic case of not recognising SFP even looking at many replays, the fact Tierney did not even blow for a foul for Skipp's challenge suggests to me Tierney either thought he took the ball and did not see the follow through or he did not think it was a foul so surely either one of those would suggest a clear and obvious error has been made, would of been interesting if Liverpool did not win how much of an issue Klopp would of made of that because I thought it was a shocking decision by the referee and the VAR not to punish that tackle.

Slight more sympathy for them both on the Jota one, I think the lack of force(although studs showing obviously does damage) is what saved Jota there but this is definitely the orange card category and I think more people would say red than yellow. That said because of VAR, is Tierney being too cautious by showing a yellow as we mentioned on here previously, it does seem at times referees are going for the safer option as upgrading a yellow to a red via the monitor seems less of a mistake than the other way round.
Tierney has been an SG1 referee for 7 years, and Coote for 5 years, so a real push to say they are newer referees. If Marriner and Scott retire at the end of the season, and their lack of appointments suggests that will probably be the case, Tierney will very much be one of the senior heads.

What I don't get is that Klopp clearly has a problem with Tiernay and in recent matches he has done Liverpool no favours but for some reason he keeps getting put on Liverpool games - I think its 9 games this season possibly and no-one else has more than 3? If there is such bad blood why continue to make it worse? Seems like bad planning by the PGMOL to me and the way they are backing poor decisions across the board by referees this season shows they are currently not fit for purpose.

For the challenges I think Jota probably got lucky as his foot was up there already when Skipp went to head it and Skipp should also have been sent off for the earlier challenge on Diaz. It would have been unlucky for Diaz to have got injured from that challenge considering he originally got injured for a non-foul in the game against Arsenal early on in the season.

To be honest I don't think some people should be managing VAR when they are clearly incapable of knowing the rules or when they should act.

What I don't get is that Klopp clearly has a problem with Tiernay and in recent matches he has done Liverpool no favours but for some reason he keeps getting put on Liverpool games - I think its 9 games this season possibly and no-one else has more than 3? If there is such bad blood why continue to make it worse? Seems like bad planning by the PGMOL to me and the way they are backing poor decisions across the board by referees this season shows they are currently not fit for purpose.

He’s reffed you 7 times this season whilst Oliver and Andy Madley have reffed you 5 times

(presuming you’re a Liverpool fan as this just seems like a fan rumour)

Immediately smelt of bullshit and a quick Google search, which is all it takes to fact check, proved me right.

Tierney stats are quite high actually. He’s given 16 yellow cards to Liverpools opponents whilst next on the list has only shown 7!

Now let’s all hope Klopp gets a ban for his comments

Tierney has been an SG1 referee for 7 years, and Coote for 5 years, so a real push to say they are newer referees. If Marriner and Scott retire at the end of the season, and their lack of appointments suggests that will probably be the case, Tierney will very much be one of the senior heads.
Scott has never had many matches in the EPL. Marriner would be a big loss still one of the best performers.

What saved two red cards and a penalty wasn't C&O, it was VAR's unwillingness to get involved. Unlike a couple of seasons ago when they took every opportunity to make themselves useful. At least he was consistent.
And VAR seems to make Rs reluctant to go red. Coupled with VARs being reluctant to get in involved, in practical terms the bar for SFP send offs has been noticeably raised in this league.

Not enough in either for VAR to step in. Yes they look bad after but once ref gives yellow then with the low level of force etc VAR would not say it was C&O.

Ref did not give Skipp yellow, that was a completely missed incident.
Fair enough. But easily missed depending on angle. VAR still wouldnt step in on this as force, contact. Player not off ground etc was low. Now if ref had given red then VaR again wouldn’t step in and this is difficult for fans to get their heads around.

And VAR seems to make Rs reluctant to go red. Coupled with VARs being reluctant to get in involved, in practical terms the bar for SFP send offs has been noticeably raised in this league.

I think it's almost always been the case that English refs has a higher bar for SFP but the bar at times seems too high now. Of course you probably don't want to go on the other end of the scale as you see in Spain and France with their very high amount of reds but Skipp's tackle in particular just can't be left unpunished. I know when things are slowed down it always look worse but where the contact was, that could of ended up in a severe injury.

The Jota one at least Tierney deemed fit to punish that but it would seem from the reaction, he made the wrong decision and he had the perfect view of it.

Be interesting too see if the PGMOL will apologise to Spurs and admit it was an error or not...

Not enough in either for VAR to step in. Yes they look bad after but once ref gives yellow then with the low level of force etc VAR would not say it was C&O.
Yes, but in the case of the tackle on Diaz there was no decision made by the referee in giving a foul even when surely if he missed the severity of the tackle then VAR should have got involved?

I just find it confusing what the level is and it appears to me that its different depending on who is the VAR - which is the same problem as we have as referees where it comes down to interpretation. Is the law too vague?

This isn't just a Liverpool thing though - PGMOL need to be reviewed as it doesn't seem to make things better currently and the amount of money in the game expects a better and more consistent approach surely?

Yes, but in the case of the tackle on Diaz there was no decision made by the referee in giving a foul even when surely if he missed the severity of the tackle then VAR should have got involved?

I just find it confusing what the level is and it appears to me that its different depending on who is the VAR - which is the same problem as we have as referees where it comes down to interpretation. Is the law too vague?

This isn't just a Liverpool thing though - PGMOL need to be reviewed as it doesn't seem to make things better currently and the amount of money in the game expects a better and more consistent approach surely?
And that’s exactly how it will be with different people in different games. Fans Cant have it all ways. Scream when VaR gets involved and say we should go back to refs making decisions even if they get them wrong and then screaming when they don’t like a decision against their own team. It’s still got to be a contact sport and every tackle, as skipp made tackle and just momentum took him through, can’t be red when viewed in slow Mo.

Social media advice by IFAB is often misleading and sometimes plain wrong. There have been times that IFAB had to edit their social media advice to make them correct.

For example the image you posted is misleading. If there is contact, then it becomes DFK "and will be classed as a different offence such as, kicking, trip, challenge, ..."

Laws of the game clearly state PIADM is an IFK offence with no other qualifications. It also states any offence involving contact if DFK. A simple inference means an offence involving contact has to be classed as an offence Other than PIADM (for now). We may get a change in law that would add PIADM to the list of DFK offences as well, but untill then, an offence with contact can't be classed as PIADM.

We had a similar case impeding the progress of an opponent (IFK) which is more or less clear in law now. When the is contact it is DFK and becomes holding.

Lastly, I hope we can all agree on that if there is contradiction between lotg and social media advice, lotg prevails.

We had a similar case impeding the progress of an opponent (IFK) which is more or less clear in law now. When the is contact it is DFK and becomes holding.
Impeding progress with contact is now listed as a dfk offence in its own right so it doesnt become holding.

Reactions: one
Back