A&H

Liverpool Vs Arsenal

Didn’t see it on the local coverage.

AR2 made some poor decisions in 2H - now i get why. One Firminio offside in the far corner when he didn’t interfere irked me.

Some talking about the game of the season. I thought it was very messy, filled with niggly fouls, poor passing, poor control, one footed woe Mo… and Tierney did well.

Most interesting one for me was a potential-marginal SPA advantage for a Xhaka foul when he was already on a yellow (late on Firminio). Yes, smart refereeing, sold it - but - interesting dilemma - much more advantageous for the opponent if it’s a nailed on second yellow.

I thought firmino was close enough to warrant the flag although he maybe didn't strictly play the ball or prevent the defender doing so.

The spa one is interesting but an excellent advantage imo that led to an uncontested 1 on 1. Borderline reckless though........?

The Referee Store
I thought firmino was close enough to warrant the flag although he maybe didn't strictly play the ball or prevent the defender doing so.

The spa one is interesting but an excellent advantage imo that led to an uncontested 1 on 1. Borderline reckless though........?
Agree. He was close enough to be considered as challenging.

Think it was genuinely an accident - people just need to back off officials and get over themselves. Don't know what they're moaning about. Don't think there have been any mistakes in this game - game been allowed to continue and managed well imo.
Not sure why Tierney allowed the Liverpool dugout to walk onto the field and remonstrate with him at half time though. Or did I imagine that? :hmmm:

Watched the game live on TV, thought Tierney had a decent game. Yes there were plenty of bits of "well do xyz and make my life easier next weekend" but in reality he managed the spectacle well.

Part of the problem is that officials don’t mind taking action against mitrovic and others from ‘lesser’ sides but when it’s from a ‘big 6’ team action is less likely to be taken, just look at the crowding of the referee at city vs Liverpool last week. Not blaming the officials personally as I would be exactly the same, worried about tarnishing my own career by making enemies in high places, think this is more of an organisational problem

Pretty much unchartered waters for Tierney to deal with. Whilst technically the coach on the pitch at half time should have been a red card, I doubt it has ever happened where that the complaint is that AR1 has (allegedly) elbowed their left back. Don't really think that pulling out a red card there for the coach would have helped in any possible way.

Overall I thought Paul Tierney was very good in this game. It got very heated towards the end of the first half and I thought he was under a bit of pressure, but he stepped up to it and never really looked like losing control.

I think the studio reaction says a lot, especially from Roy Keane at the end. They seem to be of the view that it shouldn't have happened, but Robertson brought it on himself.

I think the studio reaction says a lot, especially from Roy Keane at the end. They seem to be of the view that it shouldn't have happened, but Robertson brought it on himself.

That’s interesting. Figured Keane would blast the referee. In the US, both analysts (Robbie Earle and Tim Howard) said that Hatzidakis was clearly in the wrong and talked about him being sacked right away. Seemed harsh to me, but I also thought Hatzidakis did more than a “get your arm off of me” move on first look at the video.

Hatzidakis has a very languid style, I have watched him live & he doesn't follow the 'British' way or AR standard, more a European style, by British style I mean constantly moving, crabbing, square on to the pitch, he does more walking & is side on. His strolling on to the pitch at half time is his style, most ARs would be moving in a jog or sprint to join referee & AR2 as quickly as possible. He walks towards the crowd of players at half time, which isn't advisable (given they might want to share an opinion), but actually is to retrieve the match ball. His style works for him as he has a lot of experience at top of the game, reached the highest level & trusted every week with the big EPL matches.

Keane is just straightforwardly lying there! The idea that he wouldn't react and would just focus on the second half is laughable, Robertsoon's reaction is incredibly restrained compared to what he would have done if that happened when he was playing.

I hope that when this incident has been fully investigated and suitable punishment is dished out to both assistant and Robertson that we now make it clear. Anyone touching an official will be RED CARDED. This grabbing the arm nonsense (Mitrovic now Robertson) must stop. I know it is easy for me sitting next to my laptop the next day to say AR2 shouldn't of reacted, however he did. Was it instinct or was he trying to get away or was he seeing the red mist. I hope for his sake mitigating circumstances are taken into consideration. Sadly I am unsure atm that will be the case. I think we all know who will be punished the most at the end of all this

I hope that when this incident has been fully investigated and suitable punishment is dished out to both assistant and Robertson that we now make it clear. Anyone touching an official will be RED CARDED. This grabbing the arm nonsense

and I hope that tomorrow is the dawn of world peace, the end of all hatred, with poverty a thing of the past as all live in harmony together with no greed as all care only for the best for all of humanity.

I hope that when this incident has been fully investigated and suitable punishment is dished out to both assistant and Robertson that we now make it clear. Anyone touching an official will be RED CARDED. This grabbing the arm nonsense (Mitrovic now Robertson) must stop. I know it is easy for me sitting next to my laptop the next day to say AR2 shouldn't of reacted, however he did. Was it instinct or was he trying to get away or was he seeing the red mist. I hope for his sake mitigating circumstances are taken into consideration. Sadly I am unsure atm that will be the case. I think we all know who will be punished the most at the end of all this

Did Robertson really grabbed his arm though? It was hardly the same contact as Mitrovic if he did.

I do wish all this "he touched me first so I got an excuse for my actions" would stop though. The whole can of worms on that started with the non punishment of Fernandes and having Dermot Gallagher using that as an excuse for his reaction. I still can't tell if the assistant meant it or not, the angle of his elbow just seems so unnatural and it's hard to tell if he did do an apology gesture or not which if he did, he probably now wishes he made that alot more obvious to prove it was just an accident.

That’s interesting. Figured Keane would blast the referee. In the US, both analysts (Robbie Earle and Tim Howard) said that Hatzidakis was clearly in the wrong and talked about him being sacked right away. Seemed harsh to me, but I also thought Hatzidakis did more than a “get your arm off of me” move on first look at the video.

Happy to see a normal man lose his income but would be aghast if a millionaire footballer was banned for life for elbowing a ref!
Utter, utter cretins.

Thats BS tho - they are not comparable. Robertson might have lightly touched the assistant referees arm but doesn't deserve aything more than what was meted out on the pitch - it was just a few weeks ago that Fernandes pushed a referee out of the way to get the ball. It was minor but bloody hell saying Robertson should be banned when others which are worse are getting away with it is ********.

Also, they need to clamp down on the surrounding the referee and the abusive language. If they do that asap it will calm matters down instead of pandering to all of the egos on the pitch.

And finally the diving and time wasting from Arsenal - I thought they were better - quite a joke really.

Just rewatched the whole incident, it looks as if the Liverpool coach who approaches Tierney (on the FOP at HT) actually places his finger on his chest, looking as if he's being quite aggressive 🤷

The fact that nothing is been said about that and its just being accepted...

Because it's very low down the list of priorities.

We're talking about an official elbowing a player in the throat and that player then getting booked as a result. Frankly, even as a ref, I can’t get too upset about coaches protesting that.

Back