A&H

Liverpool v Wolves

Status
Not open for further replies.

ladbroke8745

RefChat Addict
The referee didn't help himself blowing so quickly as the ball crossed the line.
He could not have been 100% certain and was, in my opinion, rightly overruled and goal given.
But they had to also check if he blew before it went in. This is where I think he didn't help himself. Knowing he has the backing of VAR, wait and see and get it checked.

The Referee Store
Anthony Taylor has been criticised in previous games for seemingly leaving decisions to VAR. Now he's on the other end of the spectrum.

Anthony Taylor has been criticised in previous games for seemingly leaving decisions to VAR. Now he's on the other end of the spectrum.

I'd rather something tight like that be left to VAR than not.
Just imagine if he blew before it went in. Can not give the goal. I assume as it's not a free kick anymore it'll be a drop ball to Wolves.

I couldn’t tell from my commentary - did he blow and when did he blow?

And another toenail offside! OMG it’s rubbish. As a Liverpool fan I am gutted it wasn’t 1-1 at half time.
He blew as the ball hit the net physically so, at the speed of the ball, I'd guess he was already putting whistle to lips before it went in and didn't do it quick enough before going over the line, talking 0.1 of a second.

I like what Souness said in they a player is offside only if it's entire body is closer. If any part is onside then they're onside, much like the ball in and out etc.

I like what Souness said in they a player is offside only if it's entire body is closer. If any part is onside then they're onside, much like the ball in and out etc.
Would give far more benefit to attackers = more goals. Would be a big change though... and we’d still have VAR decisions based on a virtual 3d sliver of daylight!

Take your point, but you're still going to get a line that makes an on / off decision, which ever way you look at it though.

I remember seeing a lot of people suggesting that judging offside using feet only would simplify things. Well here's the example proving that's not true!

Requiring daylight is not a lot different from the toenail crap. It still needs precise measurement
@socal lurker is on a better train of thought. Change the precision to which the decision is made. Only difference for me is that i would want more than one frame either side. I would also prefer a GLT style animation, rather than zooming in on blurry pixels.

Notwithstanding that VAR should be scrapped and reintroduced in basic incremental stages, everyone is pee'd off with the offiside nonsense because they intuitively know that it's being measured to a precision that is not accurate. The depressing delays are another matter
We don't measure to mm precision using a yardstick FFS
GLT has a precision of ~8mm... if I remember correctly (Harry Kane scoring against NUFC, 12mm over the line, something of that order). Nobody questioned this when the animated graphic was displayed and the ref got the signal. By showing the agonising process of line drawing and blurred pixelation, they've stirred up deep animosity
Never has football (and more importantly, refereeing), been in such controversy. Virtually every game is dominated by VAR (and indirectly refereeing) instead of the players

Last edited:
Sorry, but I have zero sympathy. For years players, managers, pundits, supporters, and just about everyone, have been bemoaning refereeing decisions and demanding technology. Now they have it and don't like that it is ruling out goals or making decisions that go against their team, well tough, you asked for it and now it is here.

It isn't going anywhere so people just need to get used to it. Changes are definitely needed in terms of how it is used, but they can't do that mid season as that would lead to decisions inconsistent with those already made. We need to remember it is the first season and we are behind other countries like Australia and USA who have been using it for longer, these things will take time to get right. We also need to remember that it was the clubs that said they don't want pitch side monitors used, and that was seemingly backed up at a managers and PGMOL meeting last month, although some such as Wilder seem to be backing away from that now.

In terms of offsides, I'm struggling to see a better way of ruling on it without actually changing the offside law. There is no clear and obvious with this, you are on or off and I can't see where they would draw the line if not taking the black and white approach. I fully suspect that if they did apply clear and obvious to it you'd then get managers coming out and attacking decisions to award goals against them, after all we've seen them complain in the past when a player has been fractionally offside and in some cases not offside at all.

For years players, managers, pundits, supporters, and just about everyone, have been bemoaning refereeing decisions and demanding technology
Yes, now they understand the concept of 'better the devil you know'
It isn't going anywhere so people just need to get used to it
Agreed, I think the game is screwed
behind other countries like Australia and USA
Not comparing apples with apples
In terms of offsides, I'm struggling to see a better way of ruling on it without actually changing the offside law
No change in Law needed. Accuracy/Precision discussion above

I've got some friends who thought it would be a good idea to separate from their partners. They are now in a world of pain
I have sympathy, because they've made a big mistake, with hindsight

Has any other league in the world where VAR is used had such controversy and butt hurt fans as England?

Is it a problem with the VAR protocol, or is it a problem with the way it has been implemented here?

Australia has the same hurt in first couple of seasons. It wasn't so much with offside, they could not get C and O right. Right now, you are where Australia was 2 years ago.

One by one this is killing football games as a supporters spectacle. They’ve given untrained referees a tool that firstly isn’t fit for it’s technological purpose but it’s being operated by humans with human frailties. We all focus on THEIR LINES, but they never publish exactly why and where the pass line was taken from, it’s all complete and utter guesswork. Blurred images and armpits are now the talk of a match not who's played well or whatever normal chat ever was.
Bin this version at the end of the season, or supporters will vote with their feet!

One by one this is killing football games as a supporters spectacle. They’ve given untrained referees a tool that firstly isn’t fit for it’s technological purpose but it’s being operated by humans with human frailties. We all focus on THEIR LINES, but they never publish exactly why and where the pass line was taken from, it’s all complete and utter guesswork. Blurred images and armpits are now the talk of a match not who's played well or whatever normal chat ever was.
Bin this version at the end of the season, or supporters will vote with their feet!
Idiots have always argued that a single foul (that relies solely on TOOTR and made by a vastly more experienced and knowledgeable person) or a specific offside decision (made from 50 metres to only a few inches of accuracy) have ruined the game and spend hours more talking about it than the performance of players, the choices of managers, the art of the groundskeeper, and the other hundred factors in the game.
Yet the PL remains highly watched and well paid. Supporters already have voted with their feet, and their wallets and TVs too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back