A&H

Liverpool V Bayern

The Referee Store
Hes done ok actually, no major decisions for him but played at a a serious pace.

Always baffles me why the commentators think Liverpool have to score here, Its Bayern that have to score, you need that away goal in CL now.

0-0 is a better result for the home side than the away.

Crazy late flag... surely by then, with possession in the same place as the IDFK, then carry on... bizarre VAR nonsense

Reactions: JH
Crazy late flag... surely by then, with possession in the same place as the IDFK, then carry on... bizarre VAR nonsense
Yup, absolutely the worst VAR side effect, looks very odd. And of course the commentators have no idea why the delay, just think the AR was slow to come to a decision.

Ref points to the spot of nearly every foul while signalling direction. Once a game for effect if there might be confusion is OK, but today, it's too much and looks poor IMHO.

I don't think I've ever seen a referee get in the way of play so much in a top level game. Culminating in getting ahead of play right at the end and getting hit on the back by the ball.

He's had a very good game but his positioning was very odd at times.

Ref points to the spot of nearly every foul while signalling direction. Once a game for effect if there might be confusion is OK, but today, it's too much and looks poor IMHO.

Seems to be an Italian directive. Noticed it a lot when I was there last year in the top games

Always baffles me why the commentators think Liverpool have to score here, Its Bayern that have to score, you need that away goal in CL now.

Liverfool have lost their last 5 away games in Europe though???

I don't think I've ever seen a referee get in the way of play so much in a top level game. Culminating in getting ahead of play right at the end and getting hit on the back by the ball.

He's had a very good game but his positioning was very odd at times.

It seemed to me that he was getting into position like he would for a typical Italian game, where there's no pressing in midfield and teams can move the ball into the opposition half unopposed as midfielders drop deep.

In this game both teams pressed in midfield as soon as they lost it (fitness levels of the midfielders are unreal) and the ref kept running into the press. He was almost part of it!

Hes done ok actually, no major decisions for him but played at a a serious pace.

They need to scrap the away goals rule, there’s absoloutely no need for it anymore

The away goal thing now favours the team at home first, as, to win any game, you need to score more than the opponents, so, if you work on the basis you were needing to score away from home anyway, 0-0 is very close to a win, and in a way can encourage the home team not to be too attack minded in the first leg, when the whole reason it was brought in was to encourage the away team to attack for fear of defensive battles !!

And of course at the elite level, away teams can be back in their own beds not far off what they would be at an away league trip to Newcastle/Southampton/cup tie with extra time pens etc too

If 0-0 is a better result for the home team, then why did Bayern come and park the bus?
Because they would have wanted an away goal. Liverpool now in the driving seat as one goal for them would mean Bayern have to score 2. By being away second you know exactly where you stand, whereas Bayern know if they concede late, they are out. It’s defintely favourable for the first Home team. But these days where all the top sides have immaculate pitches and sell out stadiums, what really is the home advantage?

The away goal thing now favours the team at home first, as, to win any game, you need to score more than the opponents, so, if you work on the basis you were needing to score away from home anyway, 0-0 is very close to a win, and in a way can encourage the home team not to be too attack minded in the first leg, when the whole reason it was brought in was to encourage the away team to attack for fear of defensive battles !!

And of course at the elite level, away teams can be back in their own beds not far off what they would be at an away league trip to Newcastle/Southampton/cup tie with extra time pens etc too
Which I think is why they decided in the Carabao Cup now, away goals don't count in the two-legged semi-finals - and there's no extra time either, they just go straight to penalties. The FA Cup doesn't have two-legged games so the question doesn't arise.

Back