A&H

Liv Manu

Doesn’t matter what it says on Sky’s timer- only what it says on Tierney’s watch (which we will never know but it was likely to have been around exactly on 46 minutes). Whistle was blown well before the Mané pass was played when the ball was in a seemingly innocuous position near halfway. Absolute non-issue.

The Referee Store
I don't care what's on the watch. Timing is the most arbitrary aspect of refereeing. Folly to call time on a very promising through ball
Otherwise, I understand PT had a good game. But the 'highlight' (in terms of replays) was this silly moment. That's refereeing, we have a good game and walk off (potentially) to an absolute headache over something so unnecessary

I don't care what's on the watch. Timing is the most arbitrary aspect of refereeing. Folly to call time on a very promising through ball
Otherwise, I understand PT had a good game. But the 'highlight' (in terms of replays) was this silly moment. That's refereeing, we have a good game and walk off (potentially) to an absolute headache over something so unnecessary
But he called time before the through ball was played when the ball was in the midfield area. He has every right, if his watch says so (referees are the sole timekeepers after all), to blow up there and then. It’s a bit unfortunate but you can’t conclusively say it’s an error. Agree that he had a good, I fussy game otherwise though.

For the last however long, at every ground up and down the country, you hear "a minimum of...minutes added time".

Not saying that means anything in law but the football community expects it to be a minimum amount of time.

He added a minute on and blew up at 55 then, he may not have thought much was on at the time but Liverpool could have scored within those 5 seconds.

At the very least I'd say just play the extra 5 seconds, then no one can say anything.

Got to say blowing up 5 seconds early is not as annoying as referees(mostly in Europe) who blow up without any additional time whatsoever.

I assume the ref will get marked down if he did blow up too early, not something you would expect a FIFA referee to do.

Storm in a teacup for me. He blew it a fraction of a second before Shakiri (I think) kicked it forward to Mane. The ball was travelling backward at the time. And I am sure he had his mind set on blowing it even before that.

At the very least I'd say just play the extra 5 seconds, then no one can say anything
Can't say anything doesn't mean won't.
Play extra 5 seconds. Ball in PA and a very promising attack, he blows. Would no one say nothing? It would be a much bigger blows up.

He lets it go and a a goal is scored 10 seconds after the +1. We would still be arguing this but the other way.

We have been been arguing when to blow time for years and the only right answer so far has been "when my team benefits from it" :).

What gets me, with regards to added time, is that (with exception to this game clearly) if a referee says 2 minutes then it seems to always be strictly 2 minutes, maybe 3 seconds max on top of that. It never seems to be 2 minutes and 40 seconds which is still a minimum of 2 minutes.
For all the times the referees claim to stop the watch for time wastage, subs etc it always seems to add up perfectly to X minutes and no seconds.
For this reason, as a fan, I genuinely feel we're short changed. May only be 30 seconds, but could actually be a minute or 2 and a lot can happen even in 10 seconds like in the situation in this game. A goal could have been scored. Thats whats more important.
I remember watching a live game (seems so long ago now) where the referee kept putting his arm in the air and other hand over watch signalling he is stopping it (dont get this, if he thinks he is wasting time, caution them). Plus seeing 6 subs, which a couple took their time going off.. 3 minutes added on. Exactly 3 minutes played. Can't believe he ever did stop his watch but if it made the fans think he did and off his back, may have done well until the board went out. A fair few moans and groans rang out.

Some red (home) tinted glasses I'm afraid, I thought he had a very good game. Yes, the delayed offside flags are a pain but we can't blame the assistants as they are under orders to do it that way.

I do wonder if the half time problem was because Sky started the clock too early, perhaps at the time of the whistle for taking the knee. I've certainly seen that happen before this season.
If that theory is the reason, it would actually be the other way round - ie. Tierney starting his watch before the taking of the knee, Sky starting their clock on the actual kick-off. However as others have pointed out, it was a fairly "bitty" first half - 1 minute added on was well under the time we lost waiting for assistants to put their flags up, let alone all the other bits and pieces.

I really think it's time to take a serious look at taking timekeeping out of referees hands at the top levels and introduce a neutral timekeeper who actually tracks time played. Even if the result is that we go down to 70 or 80 minute games, there's no good reason to leave this kind of unnecessary inconsistency in the modern game.

Reactions: es1
Elderly City fans still remember Clive Thomas for blowing for time between the ball being headed and passing the GK.

But no dodgy penalties...

(No one can say this isn't a fans' forum on this thread!)

I've not seen the foul throw but I couldn't see anything wrong with the one by Walker that Lee Mason penalised at the Etihad.

But no dodgy penalties...

(No one can say this isn't a fans' forum on this thread!)

I've not seen the foul throw but I couldn't see anything wrong with the one by Walker that Lee Mason penalised at the Etihad.

there's only one reason that was given...it was an obvious throw to villa so was convinient to give it! never a foul throw

I'll be honest, I'm sick to death of the nonsense that follows the words 'Liverpool' and 'officials' in the same sentence.

Of course, I've no doubt the lack of a yellow card for Pogba and slightly early whistle (blown when the ball hadn't yet been played, by the way) was the reason Liverpool failed to win. Rather than their inability to create a decent chance or finish from the half-decent ones. I've also seen Liverpool's owners blamed for the recent downturn in form - rather than a manager who's a top-class actor and referee targeter.

The only issue I had with Tierney was the delayed flags. If they're delayed (PGMOL rules, fine) then the first few could have been recognised and waved as an advantage. The phase had played out and the ball was back with the defence. Why whistle at all?

Last edited:
I would suggest perhaps that a refereeing forum's "As Seen on TV" section is probably somewhere you would want to avoid clicking then....

It's not just on this site though, it's all over social media. I think my second paragraph about refereeing =/= your club playing poorly covers my point.

The vast majority of referees are football fans in the first instance. And most football fans are adept at moaning. Given that there's nowt else to talk about at the moment, is it any surprise that 'As Seen on TV' is dominating the Forum? VAR gives us enough fodder to writhe with most days, so I can't see the balance of discussion changing until the majority of us return to our own action

But he called time before the through ball was played when the ball was in the midfield area. He has every right, if his watch says so (referees are the sole timekeepers after all), to blow up there and then. It’s a bit unfortunate but you can’t conclusively say it’s an error. Agree that he had a good, I fussy game otherwise though.
I've seen this incident again this morning and I think you make a fair point
Don't get me wrong, I've dropped some clangers in my time, but I doubt this one will ever catch me out. When I blow for HT/FT, I'm very conscious of when i do it, the watch is merely a prompt to find the right opportunity. You could have a blinder in the middle and be remembered for nothing other than timing this wrong. That's the game!

Sooner or later, the Americanism of timing the game will be introduced (Elite Football). Referees have lost control of 'fair time-keeping' IMO

It's not just on this site though, it's all over social media. I think my second paragraph about refereeing =/= your club playing poorly covers my point.
And it's a fair point to make when you're elsewhere on the internet. But on a refereeing forum, we're literally here to discuss the referee's decisions! I don't think anyone in this thread has come across as particularly fan-like with respect to the result being linked to the referee, so I still don't really see the reason for the angry start!

What gets me, with regards to added time, is that (with exception to this game clearly) if a referee says 2 minutes then it seems to always be strictly 2 minutes, maybe 3 seconds max on top of that. It never seems to be 2 minutes and 40 seconds which is still a minimum of 2 minutes.
For all the times the referees claim to stop the watch for time wastage, subs etc it always seems to add up perfectly to X minutes and no seconds.
For this reason, as a fan, I genuinely feel we're short changed. May only be 30 seconds, but could actually be a minute or 2 and a lot can happen even in 10 seconds like in the situation in this game. A goal could have been scored. Thats whats more important.
I remember watching a live game (seems so long ago now) where the referee kept putting his arm in the air and other hand over watch signalling he is stopping it (dont get this, if he thinks he is wasting time, caution them). Plus seeing 6 subs, which a couple took their time going off.. 3 minutes added on. Exactly 3 minutes played. Can't believe he ever did stop his watch but if it made the fans think he did and off his back, may have done well until the board went out. A fair few moans and groans rang out.

Half agree mate. Sad that I am and the fact that they are so rare this season, I watch any games QPR actually win back in full. Allows me to look at things like added time which I can't do when the match is live for obvious reasons!

Last game v Luton - QPR wasting times (as per), ref, exactly as you describe, puts arm up and points to watch - at least 3 times and without my Hoops' spectacles on, there were at least a couple of other occasions when QPR pushed the 'game management' a little far.

However, come 90' - 'only' 5 minutes added on, which equated exactly to the 5 subs made (one a triple sub) , a 2 minute injury and 30 seconds for a lengthy goal celeb that included a yellow card (shirt over head) - NO time added on for time wasting. It happens every week in the Championship, because teams know refs are not adding the time on. Likewise as I mentioned before GKs routinely take between 10 - 20 seconds to release the ball.

In ref's defence he DID play 5' 30" because QPR made another sub in added time.

Back