A&H

Keeping things calm after advantage

If it is so obvious everyone knows, and there is likely to be a confrontation because of the tackle, then yes get the card out straight away. Even at grass roots most observers would back you on that.

But for other challenges be careful. Taking aside the expectation of the observer that you follow the correct technique, you sometimes need to give yourself thinking time. Take an example, you see a foul and immediately think red, but then the reaction of the players make you strongly suspect you've seen it wrong (which let's face it, happens to all of us). If you've already got the red card out you are cornered, whereas if they are still in your pocket you have bought extra time. This is why you will sometimes see the top level referees take a long time before actually pulling out the card. They will be talking to their colleagues, but they will also be looking at what is going on around them.

The Referee Store
Just to throw my hat in the ring

I wouldnt have my cards out, certainly my book starts to come out, as i have been taught and as observers have confirmed, i then position myself in such a way as to get as much of the field of play in view as possible. A task made easier with neutral assistants. I then have the chat and produce the required card. You can then react to whatever is going on elsewhere with any misconduct being dealy with accordingly.

At a recent national FA workshop i attended (part of L4 promotion process) the presenters were keen for us to no longer view a challenge as orange-it is yellow or red. For those where you think orange, red is the order of the day. Not dealing with 'orange' challenges causes enormous grief later on and helps contribute to 'last week's ref' syndrome

I felt afterwards that this would have been a perfect situation for a quick card - wave it in the FB's direction immediately after signalling for the corner and then I'm free to deal with anything else that comes up. Unfortunately, this wasn't an option to me as this league doesn't use team sheets and I needed the name. So is there anything else I could have done? Apart from signalling advantage, how do you make it clear that you're also intending to go back for a caution while still maintaining focus on the fast-moving attack? And although it didn't spark off immediately here so it doesn't necessarily apply, would you happily cancel a promising advantage if the fouled team looks like they're going to pick a fight?

Why worry about it Graeme? Sounds like you did everything required of a referee correctly.
I'm always fascinated by this notion that some referees seem to have that they are somehow responsible for the behaviour/actions of players.
There's nothing you could have done mate. You referee the match objectively, impartially and in accordance with the LOTG. Anything that aggressive or chopsy footballers do during a match is their choice and theirs alone. There's enough of that "it's always somebody else's fault" prevalent in all other areas of our society these days without having it seep onto the football field as well. They're grown men, and fully responsible for their own actions. ;)

Sorry, Meldrew rant over .... :D

Back