A&H

Keeping things calm after advantage

GraemeS

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
Had an incident in my match yesterday that had me wondering if I could have handled it better. I've heard this situation called a "dream scenario" if it happens when being assessed, but it could have easily turned into a nightmare for me!

Attacking left winger is running at the defending full back. He manages to get a pass off to a teammate inside him, but is forcefully taken out by a reckless tackle from the FB in the process. I go to blow for the foul, but realise that the teammate is in space, so clearly signal/shout for an advantage. This teammate drives forwards about 15 yards further and hits a shot from about 20 yards that requires a good save from the keeper to tip round the post, so I'm pretty happy with the advantage and signal for the corner.

At this point (no more than 10s after the foul), I turn, blow my whistle and call the full back to one side. I'm aware that the attacking team in general are unhappy with the force of the tackle, but hoping that the fact I'm clearly carding him will calm things down. Unfortunately, it doesn't - as I'm taking the FB's name, I see a little big of handbags and some shouting further back up the pitch. I quickly wave the card and then move to intervene. But having missed whatever it was that sparked this separate squabble, I only felt justified in handing out one more caution to the player who seemed to be still aggressive - the "attacking" team's RB who had found his way over to his team's left wing to cause trouble.

I felt afterwards that this would have been a perfect situation for a quick card - wave it in the FB's direction immediately after signalling for the corner and then I'm free to deal with anything else that comes up. Unfortunately, this wasn't an option to me as this league doesn't use team sheets and I needed the name. So is there anything else I could have done? Apart from signalling advantage, how do you make it clear that you're also intending to go back for a caution while still maintaining focus on the fast-moving attack? And although it didn't spark off immediately here so it doesn't necessarily apply, would you happily cancel a promising advantage if the fouled team looks like they're going to pick a fight?

The Referee Store
I personally think you've done well, nothing you could do to prevent the hotheads that we have sometimes from going at it if they wish. What I have been told from a few mentors, you could be heard by saying to the offending player, Number 2 for e.g. I will speak to you after this. or something along these lines to ensure that the offender and everyone else know that you are aware of the incident and that you will take the necessary action at the next stoppage.

I can't think of anything else to be honest. You identified the offence, the offender and the disciplinary action needed, you were also aware of a possible advantage, allowed it and it resulted into a corner so perfect advantage call in my books.

All can can really do is scream your head off for advantage, and also clearly shout I've seen it and I'm coming back for it.
What I was going to say. Ref on Saturday did this well and took the sting out of the aftermath of a heavy challenge almost in the position you described.

Good advice. With challenges like this it may well be worth altering your positioning - such as running a bit wider - to keep the incident zone in your peripheral vision in case there is retaliation. Not always possible - and it's also the far AR's responsibility to be monitoring this zone.
Sounds like you couldn't have done anything more - even without playing advantage, things can arise elsewhere like this.

Thanks for the tips guys - I've definitely not got the loudest voice, so it is definitely possible that some of the players missed that I was playing advantage. I do think things were calm when I started to pull the FB aside to caution him, but perhaps I should have been quicker to notice the RB charging across the pitch to get involved.

2 things I learnt not long ago related to this - not clear from your description if you covered these...
- Get the card in your hand as quickly as possible. In this case as soon as you blow.
- What was your position when you administered the caution? Sounds like you are facing the corner when you should circle around and show the card with your back to the touch line so you have as much of the pitch in view

...Then there is also the case for shouting about the card after you shout advantage... but this is much easier done in midfield... I think it is hard to verbally warn the card is coming if a player is in the process of shooting - you don't want to put them off and you want to focus on the outcome..

2 things I learnt not long ago related to this - not clear from your description if you covered these...
- Get the card in your hand as quickly as possible. In this case as soon as you blow.
- What was your position when you administered the caution? Sounds like you are facing the corner when you should circle around and show the card with your back to the touch line so you have as much of the pitch in view

...Then there is also the case for shouting about the card after you shout advantage... but this is much easier done in midfield... I think it is hard to verbally warn the card is coming if a player is in the process of shooting - you don't want to put them off and you want to focus on the outcome..

Sorry, this is bad advice for somebody in England. They should follow proper process for the caution, no flash cards. @GraemeS said they don't have team sheets, so needs the name.

@GraemeS - the only thing like @RustyRef and @Brian Hamilton have said, shoutly loudly "Number 2, I will be back to you".

Sorry, this is bad advice for somebody in England. They should follow proper process for the caution, no flash cards. @GraemeS said they don't have team sheets, so needs the name.

@GraemeS - the only thing like @RustyRef and @Brian Hamilton have said, shoutly loudly "Number 2, I will be back to you".
By flash cards ... what do you mean?
Do you mean that after you have blown you should not get the card out until you have got a name?
(If so I get you, we have team sheets, so we are advised to get the card out early if it can help e.g. diffuse mass confrontation - I got picked up on this in my last assessment)

By flash cards ... what do you mean?
Do you mean that after you have blown you should not get the card out until you have got a name?
(If so I get you, we have team sheets, so we are advised to get the card out early if it can help e.g. diffuse mass confrontation - I got picked up on this in my last assessment)

Yes. In England referees are expected to isolate the player, ask their name, tell them they are being cautioned, show the yellow card then warn them to be careful. Observers, certainly at lower levels, don't like to see the card out before the name has been written in the notebook. It's only once you get to level 3 that you can get away with flashing quick cards, and even then it is frowned upon.

It's not a flash card Rusty. It's an early indication that a card is coming. There's a difference. I have my card out of my pocket as soon as I know that a player needs to be cautioned. It works.

Last edited:
It's not a flash card Rusty. It's an early indication that a card is coming. There's a difference. I have my card out of my pocket as soon as I know that a playe needs to be cautioned. It works.
If I wasn't clear, I mean this

I don't believe that @santa sangria was describing it as a flash card (card out, straight up, straight down with very little interaction)... It gives a clear and concise indication that you have made up your mind about the decision you are going to make. It also serves two other purposes: it stops a player gobbing off if he realises he's in the brown stuff and facing a fine...it can also stop a player from kicking off in case he thought his action actually warranted a red card ("crikey, he's letting me off here; I'm gonna shut up").

I don't believe that @santa sangria was describing it as a flash card (card out, straight up, straight down with very little interaction)... It gives a clear and concise indication that you have made up your mind about the decision you are going to make. It also serves two other purposes: it stops a player gobbing off if he realises he's in the brown stuff and facing a fine...it can also stop a player from kicking off in case he thought his action actually warranted a red card ("crikey, he's letting me off here; I'm gonna shut up").
Yes, I mean this.
Especially e.g. break away fouls where there is a chance that a lot of players can get between you and the guilty player, and fouls that are borderline YC/RC where the opposition are highly likely to demand a RC. In these cases getting the card out of your pocket early can help match control.

@Brian Hamilton You OK with that? ;)

Yes, I mean this.
Especially e.g. break away fouls where there is a chance that a lot of players can get between you and the guilty player, and fouls that are borderline YC/RC where the opposition are highly likely to demand a RC. In these cases getting the card out of your pocket early can help match control.

Unnecessarily demonstrative action. What happens if that player then commits another offence for which he should be dismissed?

Yes, I mean this.

Is the borderline YC/RC the orange card and which one do you show? If it's red you have to stop play immediately and it will be your initial reaction? I would refrain from flashing a card until I have made my decision. If it's red I blow the whistle to stop play no matter what the advantage for YC as others have said loud shout "advantage....play on...number two coming back to you!"

Yes. In England referees are expected to isolate the player, ask their name, tell them they are being cautioned, show the yellow card then warn them to be careful. Observers, certainly at lower levels, don't like to see the card out before the name has been written in the notebook. It's only once you get to level 3 that you can get away with flashing quick cards, and even then it is frowned upon.
Interesting - 2 points

1) I have been told by an observer that getting the colour out early lets players know your mind is made up. For info the incident was a dogso non-dogso I'd gone no dogso and there was a bit of confrontation from the attacking team. He felt had I got the yellow out this could have been avoided.

2) i dont use a notebook. I use a match card and I keep it in the same pocket as my yellow and they come out together for cautions. Never been picked up on for taking the card out before requesting and recording the offending players name.

As everyone has pretty much said @GraemeS - you did everything correct, except the only thing I would do is a nice big arms out and 'ADVANTAGE!! ... number 2 I'll be coming back for you!'

Back