A&H

If the ball touches the ground before entering, the throw-in is retaken by the same team from the same position.

No it doesn't. And if it does where? https://www.theifab.com/laws/latest/the-throw-in/#procedure

You can take it back from the line. In fact you can take it back as far as you want. From memory I went to a course and they explained it had changed.

Happy to be wrong but if so can you please link a source.

At the moment of delivering the ball, the thrower must:
  • stand facing the field of play
  • have part of each foot on the touchline or on the ground outside the touchline
  • throw the ball with both hands from behind and over the head from the point where it left the field of play

The Referee Store
Law says the balll must be thrown from the point where it left the f. o. p. - not thrown from 4 metres away from that point.
The law also says I can have both my feet outside the touchline. And it doesn't limit me to two inches or two yards. So if I throw the ball from 4m aways it's because the law says I can.🤣

See my previous posts. The law is contradictory. But I'm not too fussed about this one. A bit of common sense would solve this one.

A different question but this chat made me think....have any of you even had a time wasting situation where the thrower is throwing the ball up the line and it is not coming into the field of play so the throw needs to be retaken multiple times? I've never seen two bad throws in a row like this but, to me, it seems like a good way to waste some time. If so, how did you handle it? Ever give a card? delaying the restart? USB?

I've had a player take a "on the whistle" FK before my signal, which I didn't pick up on at the time but in hindsight, am 100% sure was to waste time making me get the ball back to reset.

As you say, once is hard to punish for when it could easily have been an accident, but I'd definitely be happy to card if it got to a point where I was confident is it was a time wasting tactic.

The problem if someone takes it a distance back from the touchline, unless they throw it directly in front of them it won't come back onto the pitch where it left it. I'm fine with someone taking a quick throw back from the touchline if they don't gain an unfair advantage, but if they are going to launch it down the touchline they gain a massive advantage as it will actually come into play much further than where it exited, so I am quick to stop that.

At the moment of delivering the ball, the thrower must:
  • stand facing the field of play
  • have part of each foot on the touchline or on the ground outside the touchline
  • throw the ball with both hands from behind and over the head from the point where it left the field of play

Define 'outside the touchline'.

Define 'outside the touchline'.

But if you’re throwing it from, let’s say, 10m away, then although you are outside the touch line, you cannot by very definition have thrown the ball *from the point* where it left the field of play, because the ball cannot leave the field of play 10m away from the touch line.

But if you’re throwing it from, let’s say, 10m away, then although you are outside the touch line, you cannot by very definition have thrown the ball *from the point* where it left the field of play, because the ball cannot leave the field of play 10m away from the touch line.
How about 10cm? Or 1m? You can either stand outside the touch line or you can't. If you can, how far?

Keep in mind we are talking wording in the law here (not trifling).

How about 10cm? Or 1m? You can either stand outside the touch line or you can't. If you can, how far?

Keep in mind we are talking wording in the law here (not trifling).

I don't think the law is contradictory or confusing (in this instance). The the throw must be taken from the point where the ball left the field of play. The feet can be on or behind the line. If you can throw from the touchline with your feet behind the touchline then it's a legal throw. Clearly that limits how far your feet can be behind the touchline.

I don't think the law is contradictory or confusing (in this instance). The the throw must be taken from the point where the ball left the field of play. The feet can be on or behind the line. If you can throw from the touchline with your feet behind the touchline then it's a legal throw. Clearly that limits how far your feet can be behind the touchline.
As with many other laws, the drafters don't think through the consequence of the wording of what they mean to convey. And any logic (bolded) that makes it slightly complex is totally unintended.

In this case I am confident what you say was not intended. It would have been much simpler to just remove the clause on where the feet has to be altogether. Because as long as the ball enters where it left the FOP, who cares where the feet are? Why allow feet outside the touchline with the 'throw from touchline' condition but not allow feet inside the touchline with the same condition?

In practice, for me, apply the same 'common sense' approach for both along the line distance and away from line distance. That is, if the intent is to just get the game restarted quickly and not gain an advantage by taking the throw from the 'wrong place' then why fault it and make the game harder for yourself.

Last edited:
The the throw must be taken from the point where the ball left the field of play. The feet can be on or behind the line. If you can throw from the touchline with your feet behind the touchline then it's a legal throw.
And any logic (bolded) that makes it slightly complex is totally unintended.

We clearly have very different ideas about what constitutes complexity,

There are plenty of examples of genuinely poor wording in the laws, this is a long, long way down the list.

Back