A&H

If the ball touches the ground before entering, the throw-in is retaken by the same team from the same position.

callmemyref

If the ball touches the ground before entering, the throw-in is retaken by the same team from the same position.

The ball is in play when it enters the field of play , what does it mean by ball touches the ground before entering, should it enter fully, or is it enough for the ball to enter partially??/

The Referee Store
As in the ball is thrown from behind the sideline and touches the ground behind the sideline. The ball never enters the field of play in that example

As in the ball is thrown from behind the sideline and touches the ground behind the sideline. The ball never enters the field of play in that example
Or it can be a throw taken 2-3 metres outside the touchline (not legal, but happens) at an angle, then hits the ground before entering the f. o. p.

If in flight even the barest smidgen of the ball touches the airspace above the line, the n the ball was in play and the TI goes to the other team.

a throw taken 2-3 metres outside the touchline (not legal
Why?

the n the ball was in play and the TI goes to the other team.
Retake (not other team)

The ball is in play when it enters the field of play , what does it mean by ball touches the ground before entering, should it enter fully, or is it enough for the ball to enter partially??/
Say the ball is thrown at an angle along the touch line From about a meter away. Then the ball bounces about half a meter behind the line before entering the field of play. The throw in is retaken.

Any part of the ball getting above* any part of the line mean the ball has entered the field of play.

*Think of vertical downward projection shadow of the ball touching the line.

Pretty sure that there at least used to be guidance out there that the proper location for a TI was within one yard from where the ball went out, and that included within one yard of the touchline. In practical terms I don't know that is something many get very picky about unless it's something crazy like from behind a bench.
Retake (not other team)
Uh, no. I think you misread my post. If the barest smidgen of the ball is in the space above the line, then the TI was completed and a new TI goes to the other team for the ball then leaving the field.

Pretty sure that there at least used to be guidance out there that the proper location for a TI was within one yard from where the ball went out, and that included within one yard of the touchline. In practical terms I don't know that is something many get very picky about unless it's something crazy like from behind a bench.
I think the term 'illigal' is too stronger of a word used if something that is not within a guidance. 'Illegal' is usually used if it is not compliance with the lotg.

Uh, no. I think you misread my post. If the barest smidgen of the ball is in the space above the line, then the TI was completed and a new TI goes to the other team for the ball then leaving the field.
I think I may still be misreading it. So are you saying if a throw in is taken, it touches the ground before entering the field of play and then it enters the field of play (with the barest smidgen) , that would be a throw in to the other team?

I think the term 'illigal' is too stronger of a word used if something that is not within a guidance. 'Illegal' is usually used if it is not compliance with the lotg.

I think I may still be misreading it. So are you saying if a throw in is taken, it touches the ground before entering the field of play and then it enters the field of play (with the barest smidgen) , that would be a throw in to the other team?
While I didn't use the word, under the guidance it was a violation of the Laws by not taking the TI in a proper location where the ball left the field.

I’m really lost on how you are misreading my post, especially since I know you know what the rule is. If any part of the ball comes over any part of the line in flight it is in play. If it is in play before it hits the ground, then the TI was taken and it is out of play for a TI to the other team..

I often take throw ins 4 or 5 metres behind the line. Usually the opposition is waiting for you to get back to the line and not paying attention. A great chance to throw it in (over where it went out) to one of your own players and catch them off guard.

I’m really lost on how you are misreading my post, especially since I know you know what the rule is. If any part of the ball comes over any part of the line in flight it is in play. If it is in play before it hits the ground, then the TI was taken and it is out of play for a TI to the other team..
I think the reason is the OP is asking about ball touching the ground before entering FOP, your post is about it touching the ground after it enters FOP. I think we should both move on 😊

I often take throw ins 4 or 5 metres behind the line. Usually the opposition is waiting for you to get back to the line and not paying attention. A great chance to throw it in (over where it went out) to one of your own players and catch them off guard.
That is exactly why it was taught as not being allowed—you’re gaining an advantage from not taking the TI from the proper spot. Four meters away from the touchline is not “the point where it left the field of play,” but a spot you chose to try to gain an advantage. But as I noted above, most refs don’t fuss about it.

I think the reason is the OP is asking about ball touching the ground before entering FOP, your post is about it touching the ground after it enters FOP. I think we should both move on 😊
We’ll, not really, he asked what it meant to enter the field. We really are (unusually I think) talking past one another on this one.

That is exactly why it was taught as not being allowed—you’re gaining an advantage from not taking the TI from the proper spot. Four meters away from the touchline is not “the point where it left the field of play,” but a spot you chose to try to gain an advantage. But as I noted above, most refs don’t fuss about it.
That isn't my take on it. If you take it from 4 metres back and throw it horizontally then it has entered the pitch more of less where it left it. The problem comes when you take it from 4 metres back and throw it down the line, it has now potentially entered the pitch 20 metres further forward than where it left the pitch because of the extra angle you achieved.

This caused huge debate in my area when a contrib assessor picked up a referee and assistant for allowing a player to take a throw-in from the wrong side of the pitch barrier after he had jumped over to get the ball back. The assessor was adamant it wasn't allowed, but the conditions of law were met as the ball was put back into play almost exactly where it went out. Pick the bones out of that one ... 😂

The current wording of law 'mostly' supports player being at that point.

"thrower must:
• throw the ball with both hands from behind and over the head from the point where it left the field of play"
I am sure historically this point was more on the side of the ball entering on that point.

a debate on the wording yet again. Current wording on that point basically enforces thrower standing on the line, another point within the procedure allows them to stand anywhere outside the touchline.

"have part of each foot on the touchline or on the ground outside the touchline"

There are a lot more things in lotg l'd like fixed before touching this one.

We’ll, not really, he asked what it meant to enter the field. We really are (unusually I think) talking past one another on this one.
I'm not sure what you mean by "If in flight even the barest smidgen of the ball touches the airspace above the line, then the ball was in play and the TI goes to the other team" / "If it is in play before it hits the ground, then the TI was taken and it is out of play for a TI to the other team". I assume that (for no obvious reason) you are meaning the ball is thrown so that it enters the FoP then bends out again.

I'm not sure what you mean by "If in flight even the barest smidgen of the ball touches the airspace above the line, then the ball was in play and the TI goes to the other team" / "If it is in play before it hits the ground, then the TI was taken and it is out of play for a TI to the other team". I assume that (for no obvious reason) you are meaning the ball is thrown so that it enters the FoP then bends out again.

uh, yeah. The OP asked what it meant for the ball to enter play. Entering play means any part of the ball being above any part of the line.

If it bounces fully outside the touchline before any part of the ball is over any part of the line the same team takes the throw.

if any part of the ball is above any part of the line and the. Is fully out, then it is a TI for the other team for the ball leaving the field at the touchline.

(there are at least three ways it can happen—though all are quite rare: Spin causing the ball to curve, wind pushing the ball in flight, or the player trying to throw the ball down the line and releasing it partially over the line and being angled so that the ball leaves the field in the air.)

i’m not sure where/how this got complicated

uh, yeah. The OP asked what it meant for the ball to enter play. Entering play means any part of the ball being above any part of the line.

If it bounces fully outside the touchline before any part of the ball is over any part of the line the same team takes the throw.

if any part of the ball is above any part of the line and the. Is fully out, then it is a TI for the other team for the ball leaving the field at the touchline.

(there are at least three ways it can happen—though all are quite rare: Spin causing the ball to curve, wind pushing the ball in flight, or the player trying to throw the ball down the line and releasing it partially over the line and being angled so that the ball leaves the field in the air.)

i’m not sure where/how this got complicated
It got complicated because you introduced an aspect to the scenario that wasn't in the OP. And frankly the explanation is as clear as mud! "if any part of the ball is above any part of the line and the (ball?). Is fully out, then it is a TI for the other team for the ball leaving the field at the touchline."

Given (see other thread) that the ball is in most cases in play once it leaves the thrower's hands (because the hands are on the FoP) whether it touches the ground or not is irrelevant to what happens if it then goes straight out of play.

Fourth way it could happen though - it hits the referee and goes out of play.

You've misread that. I haven't chosen a spot that gains me an advantage. I'm taking it perpendicular to the line and throwing it back over where it went out from 4 or 5 m behind the line. I can't see anything wrong with that. There's no advantage except by taking it quickly.

You've misread that. I haven't chosen a spot that gains me an advantage. I'm taking it perpendicular to the line and throwing it back over where it went out from 4 or 5 m behind the line. I can't see anything wrong with that. There's no advantage except by taking it quickly.
Law says the balll must be thrown from the point where it left the f. o. p. - not thrown from 4 metres away from that point.

Last edited:
Back