A&H

How many games a weekend?

cooperd5

Level 7 Referee
Hi,
Been reffing 2 years and stepped up to open age this year to move to L6, just for personal pride really as I'm 57 so not a career move!
Anyway, used to do a match on a Saturday and again on Sunday but this year getting lots more such that I did 4 games on the last 2 weekends. 2 youth Saturday, 2 adult Sunday. Other than really sore feet felt OK but seeing another post makes me wonder if I'm overdoing it and I just wanted an idea of what the rest of us do.
Thanks!

The Referee Store
Hi,
Been reffing 2 years and stepped up to open age this year to move to L6, just for personal pride really as I'm 57 so not a career move!
Anyway, used to do a match on a Saturday and again on Sunday but this year getting lots more such that I did 4 games on the last 2 weekends. 2 youth Saturday, 2 adult Sunday. Other than really sore feet felt OK but seeing another post makes me wonder if I'm overdoing it and I just wanted an idea of what the rest of us do.
Thanks!
Do as many as you think will allow you to handle each to the standard that clubs have the right to expect.
Quality is important!

Problem is niggly injuries. When I smash a lot of games in, my quads and shins start to suffer a little wear and tear.

I am guilty of ibuprofen my way through it (terrible for you and becomes part of the problem). But at a certain point I need to take 4 weeks out to heal.

So I typically cut my games when the niggles start, prevention and all that.

Hi,
Thanks!
As Chas said, do as many as you feel comfortable with physically and mentally.

I am 65 years old and started reffing when I was 53. I find I can do two full length adult games on a Sunday. Any more and I certainly do cramp up.

I used to cover 3/4 games a weekend. Now I stick to 2. Keeps away any "overuse" injuries. But it's up to you - I know I could do more as there is so many games uncovered in Youth football.

I do max 2 90 minute games a weekend, at most I will do an 80 minute with that. So in terms of minutes it's about 260 at medium intensity. If I have a higher level game than I am used to I will skip out that youth game

I tend to do as many games as they'll give me. I work with the academies. Usually ranges between 3/4 games a week. They are 90mins.

But I have just cut the academy off to recover a little.

Just learn your body, go as hard or as easy as you want. If you do it regularly enough you'll quickly learn what you are capable of.

Typically it’s 2 - 3 for me. Any more than that and I start to notice fatigue creeping in and I’m less accurate. If that 4th game is challenging then I only exacerbate it by not being fully on point.

That 2 or 3 will consist of at least 1 youth and 1 senior game, or some other combination thereof.

On the rare occasions I do more, my youth games are U12 plus another, so it’s not as mentally taxing.

Midweek games are limited to Tuesday and Thursday for me so I have guaranteed rest day between fixtures. I also don’t do every weekend for access reasons which gives me an extended break where I need it.

Long gone are the days of 3 games a weekend, every weekend because come February or March Id start to struggle fitness wise as the niggles worsened and the mental fatigue began to take a toll.

A big issue here is the fact that most leagues (particularly youth leagues) are seriously short of referees. Ref. Secs. are now offloading fixtures to many young referees on a multiple basis, using such reasons as convenience (multiple games at the same venue etc.). These young referees often accept multiple appointments because of a fear of upsetting the Ref.Sec. and / or just wishing to oblige.

Last season, I observed a young referee with a 4pm kick off on a Sunday. I was quite surprised by his apparent lack of fitness and his objections to my negative comments regarding his movement and positioning. He seemed to be quite taken aback that I didn't accept his reasoning when he told me he was 'knackered'. He gave the reason (excuse) that it was his 7th (seventh) game of the weekend. I found this reasoning impossible to accept. All were youth games, but all were 11 a side and of a minimum 80 minutes duration. He arrived on a bike having travelled across multiple venues.
Accept as many or as few appointments as you are comfortable with and don't feel that you are obliged or under pressure to accept. You must be able to give 100% to each fixture, the teams deserve and expect it and as a referee you have a duty to perform at your best, physically and mentally.
I am posting this as a matter of advice for those looking for promotion and younger referees. I consider 7 games to be a massive over commitment, but my point is that you must be fully prepared and capable both physically and mentally in EVERY game, however many you accept. Only accept as many games as you are comfortable with (physically and mentally) and don't allow yourself to be pressurised to accept appoinments.

A big issue here is the fact that most leagues (particularly youth leagues) are seriously short of referees. Ref. Secs. are now offloading fixtures to many young referees on a multiple basis, using such reasons as convenience (multiple games at the same venue etc.). These young referees often accept multiple appointments because of a fear of upsetting the Ref.Sec. and / or just wishing to oblige.

Last season, I observed a young referee with a 4pm kick off on a Sunday. I was quite surprised by his apparent lack of fitness and his objections to my negative comments regarding his movement and positioning. He seemed to be quite taken aback that I didn't accept his reasoning when he told me he was 'knackered'. He gave the reason (excuse) that it was his 7th (seventh) game of the weekend. I found this reasoning impossible to accept. All were youth games, but all were 11 a side and of a minimum 80 minutes duration. He arrived on a bike having travelled across multiple venues.
Accept as many or as few appointments as you are comfortable with and don't feel that you are obliged or under pressure to accept. You must be able to give 100% to each fixture, the teams deserve and expect it and as a referee you have a duty to perform at your best, physically and mentally.
I am posting this as a matter of advice for those looking for promotion and younger referees. I consider 7 games to be a massive over commitment, but my point is that you must be fully prepared and capable both physically and mentally in EVERY game, however many you accept. Only accept as many games as you are comfortable with (physically and mentally) and don't allow yourself to be pressurised to accept appoinments.
That kid probably got £300. Beats a McDonald's shift.

But I 100% agree. If that referee cannot perform with an observer watching, can you imagine their performance when they aren't being assessed.

They aren't forced to do the games, all they have to say is that they can't do more than 2 games a day, no one is going to hold that against them. And if I was a young referee who had been told I'd be getting observed on the 7th game of the weekend I'd be straight on the phone to the RDO or promotion coordinator to explain the situation.

I've always wished that I'd started refereeing younger. I'd have comfortably paid my way through university rather than leaving with a loan that took years to pay off.

I’m probably doing one middle a weekend, one line midweek, at best.

I’d love to do more, ideally I’d do OA men’s Saturday, Sunday league and then women’s on Sunday afternoon, as well as the midweek line, but my missus would kill me as we have an 18-month-old lad. Family first!

They aren't forced to do the games, all they have to say is that they can't do more than 2 games a day, no one is going to hold that against them. And if I was a young referee who had been told I'd be getting observed on the 7th game of the weekend I'd be straight on the phone to the RDO or promotion coordinator to explain the situation.

I've always wished that I'd started refereeing younger. I'd have comfortably paid my way through university rather than leaving with a loan that took years to pay off.
I made no suggestion of them being forced to do games ("These young referees often accept multiple appointments because of a fear of upsetting the Ref.Sec. and / or just wishing to oblige").
As for phoning the RDO / promotion coordinator and considering that observers are appointed to games submitted by a referee, my question to that phone call would be "Why did you submit that game for observation?"

I made no suggestion of them being forced to do games ("These young referees often accept multiple appointments because of a fear of upsetting the Ref.Sec. and / or just wishing to oblige").
As for phoning the RDO / promotion coordinator and considering that observers are appointed to games submitted by a referee, my question to that phone call would be "Why did you submit that game for observation?"
Was it a game where you were there as a referee coach, as it was a young referee in youth football? Observer visits start at 5>4 in England, which would not feature youth football appointments.
Both referee coach and observer visits are known to the Appointments Secretary in most areas, so the referee would not have needed to "submit it"

You clearly implied that they were under some kind of pressure though.

I was going to say the same about not submitting it, but in many counties there is no such system as the CFA know what games you are referring.

I was there by direct request / appointment from the RDO. Pardon my use of terminology - as a coach.
Pressure is an individual thing and as I said a willingness to oblige can lead to pressure if these referees are not strong enough to say "No".
The point I was making is, I feel, both real and valid. Do as many or as few games as you as an individual can perform to your best.
I am putting this to bed now as the issue is not why or how I was there or where the appointment originated.

I could not do more than one OA game in a day, I don't know how people do that.

I could do two games a weekend but I coach a youth team on Sundays so it's one for me, which is quite enough. I often do a midweek game too.

Back