A&H

How long before Coronavirus impacts Football?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Referee Store
Get it doon ya son!

It'll put hairs on ya chest you Yorkshire fairy. šŸ˜œšŸ¤£šŸ‘
Not sure how traditional the taste of Bulmers is but you can't beat a bit of the local Dicken Cider, helps reduce stress, calm your nerves and puts a smile on your face... Win Win Win in these Isolated times šŸ„°

Refereeing Update

As you will be aware, there are a number of decisions regarding the completion of the 2019/20 season being made by the Football Association and respective Leagues in light of the Covid-19 outbreak. These decisions will have an impact on the current and upcoming football seasons and we will keep you updated as to how they will impact on the referees.

The FAā€™s decision, announced on Thursday afternoon, that for all football at Step 3-7 the season has been terminated has posed two important challenges for us, namely:

• End of season promotion and reclassification
  • Proposed changes to the refereeing pyramid for 2020/21

Following discussion it has been agreed by the FA Refereesā€™ Committee that principles of promotion and reclassification criteria will be applied and the changes to the refereeing pyramid will be implemented (albeit with slight modification) for 2020/21. Details of the modifications will be communicated in due course.

The attached letter gives an update as to the status of the Leagues, followed by information for Match Officials at each level on availability, promotion and reclassification.

We will be in contact further with additional information in the near future.

In the meantime if there are any questions please feel free to make contact with any member of the refereeing department.

Kind Regards,

The FA Refereeing Department

Refereeing Update

As you will be aware, there are a number of decisions regarding the completion of the 2019/20 season being made by the Football Association and respective Leagues in light of the Covid-19 outbreak. These decisions will have an impact on the current and upcoming football seasons and we will keep you updated as to how they will impact on the referees.

The FAā€™s decision, announced on Thursday afternoon, that for all football at Step 3-7 the season has been terminated has posed two important challenges for us, namely:

• End of season promotion and reclassification
  • Proposed changes to the refereeing pyramid for 2020/21

Following discussion it has been agreed by the FA Refereesā€™ Committee that principles of promotion and reclassification criteria will be applied and the changes to the refereeing pyramid will be implemented (albeit with slight modification) for 2020/21. Details of the modifications will be communicated in due course.

The attached letter gives an update as to the status of the Leagues, followed by information for Match Officials at each level on availability, promotion and reclassification.

We will be in contact further with additional information in the near future.

In the meantime if there are any questions please feel free to make contact with any member of the refereeing department.

Kind Regards,

The FA Refereeing Department

I'm guessing that this means if you've done one or two assessments that would've got you through you'll get it?

Cancer screening (breast, bowel and cervical) has been halted in Scotland to free up resource to fight Covid-19

Now that is taking things too far

Ordinarily, the decision by UEFA to suspend indefinitely would light up the forum. Also the fact that taxpayers are now indirectly contributing to Professional Footballers salaries by Club's decisions to furlough none playing staff. Add to that, the cancellation of Wimbledon highlights our fading hopes that football will return to normal, even by the Autumn (assuming also that we're not fighting second waves of C19 indefinitely)

Bad times

Some Players and owners should hang their heads in shame seeing staff on peanuts thrown to the wolves as they party in Range Rovers not really giving a sh1t and pay themselves Ā£7 million to Furlough them.
There are exceptions but the gaps in reality and us feeling sorry for them is widening.

Some Players and owners should hang their heads in shame seeing staff on peanuts thrown to the wolves as they party in Range Rovers not really giving a sh1t and pay themselves Ā£7 million to Furlough them.
There are exceptions but the gaps in reality and us feeling sorry for them is widening.
Every player at every league club in the country signs a variation of the same contract and is signed up as a member of the same player's union, the PFA. The problem that leads to is that it becomes very difficult to impose pay cuts on them.

Cut all players salaries by 50%? No problem if your name's Pogba, but if you're playing towards the bottom of the pyramid, losing 50% of your salary could mean you can't afford to feed your family. But if you impose different % cuts to the better paid players, that flies in the face of collective bargaining agreements and is basically illegal.

The way around this is for the best paid players to volunteer to take a pay cut, and have the voluntary % cuts go down as you go down the leagues. But that requires millionaires to be generous, which isn't generally how the world seems to work....

Every player at every league club in the country signs a variation of the same contract and is signed up as a member of the same player's union, the PFA. The problem that leads to is that it becomes very difficult to impose pay cuts on them.

Cut all players salaries by 50%? No problem if your name's Pogba, but if you're playing towards the bottom of the pyramid, losing 50% of your salary could mean you can't afford to feed your family. But if you impose different % cuts to the better paid players, that flies in the face of collective bargaining agreements and is basically illegal.

The way around this is for the best paid players to volunteer to take a pay cut, and have the voluntary % cuts go down as you go down the leagues. But that requires millionaires to be generous, which isn't generally how the world seems to work....
But the contracts are not with the PFA, they lie between the club and player. The club can use employment law to vary them....this is not a collective agreement....nevertheless, still very difficult to do.......the Allams at Hull City have a better grip than most in respect of employment law

I suspect we will see the PFA and EPL announce very soon that all professional players in the EPL have agreed to take a significant pay cut. Not sure what will happen in lower divisions though.

I rushed here to write on the same topic having just read about Juve (all players and staff waive 4 months wages) vs Newcastle (non-playing staff furloughed and forced to apply for the govtā€™s 2500 a month after a 170m profit last year).

Itā€™s disgusting. I was thinking about my relationship with football, refereeing, playing, kidsā€™ practices, games, paying for EPL/ECL, watching 2-5 live TV games a week, 1 foreign footy trip a year, the odd game in the flesh. An hour or two of footy media every day. What 10-12 footy ā€eventsā€ per week, 25+ hours... and I think a lot of you on here and for a lot of fans itā€™s the same.

And now, no football.
And, I donā€™t know about you, yes, I miss the refereeing but the rest of it? There are more important things to do.

My guess is itā€™s going to be a long time before there are live sports crowds again, and when big football starts, the ā€productā€ is going to be significantly devalued - and, are we going to be ready to make the same investment?

No. Highly unlikely. And if the PFA and clubs donā€™t get real, absolutely not.

If the PFA want to be taken seriously then they should organise a collective wage waiver now for 2-3 months or e.g. a 50% cut for e.g. Top 2 divisions. Make a statement. Donā€™t try to hold the football family to ransom.

The govt must close the loophole that allows massively profitable companies to lay off some workers that are ā€idleā€ rather than others that are ā€idleā€ and paid far more. And the govt must fix the furlough payment rules so that (Ashley) companies canā€™t exploit it,

And the whole football pyramid has to adjust. The future of participation sport is open. If we are in a future where societyā€™s goal is ā€R=<1ā€ then participation sport (and live entertainment) will be disrupted, or worse prohibited possibly for extended periods.

Newcastle (non-playing staff furloughed and forced to apply for the govtā€™s 2500 a month after a 170m profit last year
We Newcastle fans are repeatedly disgusted with the running of our Club. Fat Mike has lived up to expectations over recent weeks. He couldn't care less

Reactions: Kes
We Newcastle fans are repeatedly disgusted with the running of our Club. Fat Mike has lived up to expectations over recent weeks. He couldn't care less

He's selling up, he doesn't give a hoot (if he ever did). Watch the new series of Sunderland to I die, that will cheer you up!

He's selling up
He's been selling up for three years šŸ™„
Sunderland to I die
Seen it. Very good. Amazing timing for a fly on the wall documentary. Rather than gloat, I felt sorry for them all, especially the day-to-day staff at the club. I grew up south of the Tyne, so I've got some affinity with the Club
The Mackems have really been through the mill. Consecutive demotions, two Wembley defeats and inability to escape League 1
There's only so much your rivals can take before you stop hoping they lose every week šŸ¤•

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back