A&H

How long before Coronavirus impacts Football?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Referee Store
View attachment 4215View attachment 4216
Mosborough is where Harry is from in the South Sheffield.. well done lad!! Not all heroes wear capes!!

Just down the road from my home patch of Intake.

It is good he is doing this, but he and all footballers need to do more. Even if 1,000 people sign up to this, and each box is £100, that is still less than a week's wage. If they can't restart the season, and the TV companies claim money back from the league (which they will), there is a dawning realisation that clubs will fold even at top levels. Paying players £200k per week is £10 million per year, fine when the TV money is coming in but when it isn't it is going to leave a huge chasm. They need to agree to reduce their salaries massively, if they don't they might not actually have any clubs left to pay their wages.

Strikes me as similar to when ITV Sport collapsed in 2002, it badly damaged many Championship and Football League clubs. This is on a bigger scale and could easily affect Premier League clubs, especially if it goes on for 18 months as some are predicting.

Haven't Burnley said they cod be out of business by August if the league doesn't restart, as all their sponsors etc will be clawing their money back.

Just down the road from my home patch of Intake.

It is good he is doing this, but he and all footballers need to do more. Even if 1,000 people sign up to this, and each box is £100, that is still less than a week's wage. If they can't restart the season, and the TV companies claim money back from the league (which they will), there is a dawning realisation that clubs will fold even at top levels. Paying players £200k per week is £10 million per year, fine when the TV money is coming in but when it isn't it is going to leave a huge chasm. They need to agree to reduce their salaries massively, if they don't they might not actually have any clubs left to pay their wages.

Strikes me as similar to when ITV Sport collapsed in 2002, it badly damaged many Championship and Football League clubs. This is on a bigger scale and could easily affect Premier League clubs, especially if it goes on for 18 months as some are predicting.
I moved to Halfway (next village) when I was about 15, so Westfield Campus (School) in Mosborough and the village were where my early haunt drinking habits was formed. The Vine, The Alma, Double Top and The Mill were a few I remember. Intake was too far to walk really, but used to catch the 95 from there to get to Walkley where I met my future wife.

I agree the football may need to redress all this once it settles down, for a team to come bottom of one league and get £100m and for a team in the Championship to win it and get £3m is a crazy mishap waiting to happen from both ends of the spectrum. Players too, the wages are just ridiculous for what they actually do.....

This:

A good lad who moved away to study and came back to his home county where his career has rocketed. I hope he is given the opportunity to continue his progress after this is over. His NHS team are a good bunch too. They provided initial care for my wife when she wrecked her knee in a riding accident before Christmas.

View attachment 4215View attachment 4216
Mosborough is where Harry is from in the South of Sheffield.. well done lad!! Not all heroes wear capes!!

I regularly officiate at SGP Westfield in Mosborough. Cracking facility. Also I officiate at the club up the road occasionally in the vets league. My step son plays rugby up there occasionally too. Mosborough is a great place to be involved in sport and this is a fantastic gesture from Maguire

I regularly officiate at SGP Westfield in Mosborough. Cracking facility. Also I officiate at the club up the road occasionally in the vets league. My step son plays rugby up there occasionally too. Mosborough is a great place to be involved in sport and this is a fantastic gesture from Maguire
The old school closed in 2006, I left in the early 80s, I remember seeing the plans in the Star for the new school and sports facilities. They looked mint. Never got the chance to referee there but I've driven past it a few times and its quite professional looking. The best one I ever reffed on was the Blades Academy, The pitches were like bowling greens, ironically far better than the old pitch I reffed on at Bramall Lane before the Desso lot came along knocking!!! Thats a different level....

I know a few footballers who have done similar stuff to Harry, Rashford is one, I'm sure when all this passes over the world will judge the good guys and the bad guys in all this...

The old school closed in 2006, I left in the early 80s, I remember seeing the plans in the Star for the new school and sports facilities. They looked mint. Never got the chance to referee there but I've driven past it a few times and its quite professional looking. The best one I ever reffed on was the Blades Academy, The pitches were like bowling greens, ironically far better than the old pitch I reffed on at Bramall Lane before the Desso lot came along knocking!!! Thats a different level....

I know a few footballers who have done similar stuff to Harry, Rashford is one, I'm sure when all this passes over the world will judge the good guys and the bad guys in all this...

I used to go swimming at the old Westfield, probably around 1986-89.

With Italy slowly relaxing restrictions I wonder how long before we start to follow suit?
We’re estimated to be about 2 weeks behind Italy. However, I wouldn’t be surprised if it continues longer here.
And in terms of being back on the pitch, I can’t see any time before August at the very earliest.

Italy and Spain are only very slowly lifting restrictions. Construction workers can go back, but we never blocked that here at all. I can't see anything changing in the UK for at least a month.

With Italy slowly relaxing restrictions I wonder how long before we start to follow suit?
I believe Denmark are planning on reopening a lot of non-essential businesses after the Easter holidays. As we seemed to be a bit behind everyone else, hopefully we'll start seeing the effects of lockdown soon with the number of cases falling in the next few weeks. The footballing authorities seem to be hoping for football to return in June/July behind closed doors, but for that to happen, surely they're going to have to make sure all footballers, staff, officials, etc... have all been safely tested. Going to be an interesting next couple of months in relation to football.

I know there are a lot more important things to be talking about, but I really don't see it as selfish to be missing football and refereeing - everyone has passions and things they're missing, so hopefully once everyone is totally safe, normality will return in the next few months

Just received an email from a supplier in N Italy saying that they are open for business and orders as from tomorrow.
I flew into Bergamo when I went there last year, seems so surreal that such a beautiful place has suffered so much from the off. I don’t know the staff that well but they were right in the original epicentre. We all are now!

I've done 10 games at the Blades Academy this season. It's fantastic. The setup at SGP Westfield is also fantastic. 2 4g pitches and several excellent grass pitches. Best changing rooms in the area. Just a really good place for sport

I believe Denmark are planning on reopening a lot of non-essential businesses after the Easter holidays. As we seemed to be a bit behind everyone else, hopefully we'll start seeing the effects of lockdown soon with the number of cases falling in the next few weeks. The footballing authorities seem to be hoping for football to return in June/July behind closed doors, but for that to happen, surely they're going to have to make sure all footballers, staff, officials, etc... have all been safely tested. Going to be an interesting next couple of months in relation to football.

I know there are a lot more important things to be talking about, but I really don't see it as selfish to be missing football and refereeing - everyone has passions and things they're missing, so hopefully once everyone is totally safe, normality will return in the next few months
We're a week behind Spain, but I'm guessing the UK might wait a week or two more (compared to Spain) before lifting any restriction. Faced with indefinite and variable restrictions, I can't see a place for football. Let's say the EPL goes behind closed doors. What happens the moment any player in the League tests positive (which they will)? Fixture mayhem as the affected team go into isolation? Non-team sports might have an immediate future, but I'm struggling to see how games like football can be viable in our foreseeable new world order

Anyone any ideas on how the pro and amateur game could realistically restart?

I've done 10 games at the Blades Academy this season. It's fantastic. The setup at SGP Westfield is also fantastic. 2 4g pitches and several excellent grass pitches. Best changing rooms in the area. Just a really good place for sport
I'd done an OA game in the morning and I went straight to Timbertops (Blades Academy) in the afternoon, SUFC v Forest U12, I was sat their getting ready, still in my original kit and just putting my already mudded boots back on. The groundsman saw me and told me to take them off, I did, so he promptly washed them for me, he said no-one goes on his (bowling green) pitch in sh1tty boots (OOPS)...I'm sure, that was probably their only clean that season!!! Some of them players now will be seasoned professionals! They were all decent, two footed, fast, no lip either!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back