A&H

How long before Coronavirus impacts Football?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're a week behind Spain, but I'm guessing the UK might wait a week or two more (compared to Spain) before lifting any restriction. Faced with indefinite and variable restrictions, I can't see a place for football. Let's say the EPL goes behind closed doors. What happens the moment any player in the League tests positive (which they will)? Fixture mayhem as the affected team go into isolation? Non-team sports might have an immediate future, but I'm struggling to see how games like football can be viable in our foreseeable new world order

Anyone any ideas on how the pro and amateur game could realistically restart?

Remember that Spain have only lifted a restriction that we never put in, i.e. construction workers can now go back to work. We are more than a week behind them, more like 2 to 3.

Multiple media outlets are reporting today that the Premier League plan to finish playing games behind closed doors at Wembley and St George's Park with as many as four games a day at each. If that is true get ready for a feast of televised football to relieve the boredom. https://talksport.com/football/6939...st-georges-park-premier-league-season-finish/

Where that leaves the EFL I have no idea, but I very much doubt they will finish the season. Amateur game is irrelevant as that has already been abandoned and will (hopefully) restart in August and September for the new season.

The Referee Store
Remember that Spain have only lifted a restriction that we never put in, i.e. construction workers can now go back to work. We are more than a week behind them, more like 2 to 3.

Multiple media outlets are reporting today that the Premier League plan to finish playing games behind closed doors at Wembley and St George's Park with as many as four games a day at each. If that is true get ready for a feast of televised football to relieve the boredom. https://talksport.com/football/6939...st-georges-park-premier-league-season-finish/

Where that leaves the EFL I have no idea, but I very much doubt they will finish the season. Amateur game is irrelevant as that has already been abandoned and will (hopefully) restart in August and September for the new season.
The most ridiculous idea I have ever heard. That means multiple teams will use the same changing facilities in a day. L
Yes they can be cleaned down and disinfected but what if a spot is missed and then before you know it mass spread amongst Premier league players...

Or they could bring in changing trailers akin to what the movie/TV industry use on site.

But I think the changing room is the least of the problems--players are in very close physical contact during the game, and they are breathing hard, so expelling more potentially infected air.

I think of team sports, basketball is the most likely to find a path to testing, isolation, and empty arena competition, primarily because of the limited number of players. Maybe EPL can wrap up the season with 3 v 3 indoor games. :D

(And baseball or cricket have an advantage over soccer/rugby because of the lower amount of close contact among players.)

I'd done an OA game in the morning and I went straight to Timbertops (Blades Academy) in the afternoon, SUFC v Forest U12, I was sat their getting ready, still in my original kit and just putting my already mudded boots back on. The groundsman saw me and told me to take them off, I did, so he promptly washed them for me, he said no-one goes on his (bowling green) pitch in sh1tty boots (OOPS)...I'm sure, that was probably their only clean that season!!! Some of them players now will be seasoned professionals! They were all decent, two footed, fast, no lip either!!!
I've been doing games at Norwich academy for a while and had very little dissent (even from the u17s), but I did another academy tournament with a few professional academies from teams around London. This was U13s and oh my word, the dissent was unbelievable! My AR was a L3 and couldn't believe it. One team scored a perfectly fine goal but a defender was loudly complaining for offside (it clearly wasn't). My AR flagged and told me the player called him 'f-ing useless' and wanted him cautioned. As I was cautioning him, he loudly told me that "you're all f-ing sh**", so I second yellowed him and he was off (no sin bins in this one). I shouldn't have sent him off because "it's only kids football" apparently, according to the coach. Rest of the team were just as bad - keeper clattered the striker (good challenge) and when the ball went out was standing over the injured player, shouting at him to get up. Never heard anything like it at U13s, let alone academy football

500 or so EPL players, tons more first team staff
Even with a conservative estimate of community infection rate post lockdown... the country would need to be happy for all EPL games to proceed with numerous players testing positive... whilst ignoring contact tracing of teammates and so on.

Last edited:
The most ridiculous idea I have ever heard. That means multiple teams will use the same changing facilities in a day. L
Yes they can be cleaned down and disinfected but what if a spot is missed and then before you know it mass spread amongst Premier league players...

I'd assumed they would be testing everyone before the start, and anyone positive can't play. That would obviously have to also include match officials, TV crews, etc, and they'd probably need to isolate the players in hotels for two weeks after it had ended. All seems a bit far fetched but who knows.

A £800million forfeit bill may sharpen their minds to come up with something workable! In 2-3 months a lot of clubs could go to the wall. Money talks!!

I'd assumed they would be testing everyone before the start, and anyone positive can't play.
At the moment, if isn't possible to get tested just because you want to. Even in hospitals, some only test patients who are admitted to intensive care and not all health care workers have access to tests yet. I don't think it would be technically or politically possible to get all football players tested, at least in the short term.

At the moment, if isn't possible to get tested just because you want to. Even in hospitals, some only test patients who are admitted to intensive care and not all health care workers have access to tests yet. I don't think it would be technically or politically possible to get all football players tested, at least in the short term.
It’s hard to imagine now, but fast forward to July, still no football. The PFA are faced with the collapse of clubs and no wages unless football can be played and televised as soon as possible. EPL squads of 23 go into caravans for two weeks of isolated training with a skeleton support staff. The clubs buy up all the film/TV industry remote catering etc. and re-invent their training complexes as military-style locked down bases. Then there’s a rolling program of matches at a central venue, surrounded by an Olympic style caravan park. The players, skeleton staff and officials are completely isolated from TV crews and skeleton staff. There’s military hazmats etc.

Will this happen? Someone must be considering something like this... if it was just for one or two games per club then maybe. But it’s not sustainable is it? You can’t run 10 games per club like that surely? Though the elite game has the cash to do it.

So, my back of the matchbox calc says: competitive high level football will have to wait until the cascading relaxation of isolation restrictions reach it. That might be quicker than I think - could be that in a couple of weeks allworkplaces are open, and then in 3-4 weeks all retail is open with distancing. Mass crowds are out of the question but in 5-6 weeks football gets special dispension for gatherings of 50 people at the elite level on economic grounds. The clubs would still be stuck want 2 weeks to prepare while the TV people wield a billion pound carrot and stick...

Or not! The Sweded turn out to be right, Tr### ”opens” the US, football resumes in a month, as govts priorise growth and ”sell” the sacrifice of mass mortality... play at your own risk.

Which makes me think... when/how will insurers let elite football commence?

I've been doing games at Norwich academy for a while and had very little dissent (even from the u17s), but I did another academy tournament with a few professional academies from teams around London. This was U13s and oh my word, the dissent was unbelievable! My AR was a L3 and couldn't believe it. One team scored a perfectly fine goal but a defender was loudly complaining for offside (it clearly wasn't). My AR flagged and told me the player called him 'f-ing useless' and wanted him cautioned. As I was cautioning him, he loudly told me that "you're all f-ing sh**", so I second yellowed him and he was off (no sin bins in this one). I shouldn't have sent him off because "it's only kids football" apparently, according to the coach. Rest of the team were just as bad - keeper clattered the striker (good challenge) and when the ball went out was standing over the injured player, shouting at him to get up. Never heard anything like it at U13s, let alone academy football

I agree that you should not have given a second caution. For my money, "you're all f-ing sh**" is OFFINABUS and a straight red at any youth level. Putting "you" and offensive language together is game over for me.

I agree that you should not have given a second caution. For my money, "you're all f-ing sh**" is OFFINABUS and a straight red at any youth level. Putting "you" and offensive language together is game over for me.
We were ‘flashing’ the cards (bad practice I know, but the games were very quick and didn’t need to take down names like usual) as they were mini games and it was both teams’ last game in the tournament so it didn’t make a difference at all, but you’re right - had it have been a proper competition, that’s probably going to be a straight red. Had my yellow in hand anyway so it helped sell it, showing that he’d said something after the initial yellow

It is if you pay. A Sheffield Wednesday player got himself tested and was found to be infected.

It is if you pay. A Sheffield Wednesday player got himself tested and was found to be infected.
Rivalries aside, they are doing some fantastic work in S6.... Respect to all concerned.

It that's true, then it's disgusting. My daughter works in an NHS hospital in the Manchester area which is overwhelmed - over 50% of the beds are occupied by CoVid-19 patients and all clinical care staff are working shifts to provide 24/7 coverage. She hasn't had a day off in two weeks. She and her colleagues can't get tested, even if they have symptoms. The idea that someone with money can just pay and get a test is abhorrent.

I 100% understand @Peter Grove 's point and it obviously doesn't seem right or fair. My eldest daughter is a midwife in Sheffield and been in any hospital environment at the moment must be stressful with the apparent lack of safety equipment etc. I don't know the facts behind his test but in one way, if you are showing symptoms then not passing it on must be a good thing. We seem to now be locked in a situation to which getting out of it may be worse than staying in it.... Its a bloody mess....football isn't really high on the agenda at the moment although we do need to have something positive to look forward to whenever that is!!

It that's true, then it's disgusting. My daughter works in an NHS hospital in the Manchester area which is overwhelmed - over 50% of the beds are occupied by CoVid-19 patients and all clinical care staff are working shifts to provide 24/7 coverage. She hasn't had a day off in two weeks. She and her colleagues can't get tested, even if they have symptoms. The idea that someone with money can just pay and get a test is abhorrent.

Like all of the government got tested? I don't think the Wednesday player had the same test that the NHS are using, rather he bought on the open market. Its easy enough to do if you have a spare £250, which is peanuts even for a Championship player. If they were using test kits that should be destined for the NHS I would be equally outraged, but they aren't.

Like all of the government got tested? I don't think the Wednesday player had the same test that the NHS are using, rather he bought on the open market. Its easy enough to do if you have a spare £250, which is peanuts even for a Championship player. If they were using test kits that should be destined for the NHS I would be equally outraged, but they aren't.

But wait a minute - why aren't these tests being offered to the NHS (assuming they're accurate, that is)? I think this Grauniad article - and especially the views expressed by Dr Hilary in the embedded Twitter clip, pretty much sum up my views on this, where he says, "This disgusts me. Why can some people buy private testing when frontline health staff can’t get tested?"

Doubts have been expressed about the accuracy of some of these tests but if they are accurate and reliable, why aren't they being offered to NHS front line staff first, rather than to private individuals - especially those having to self-isolate at home because they have symptoms? Again, it just seems wrong to me that private individuals with no symptoms can get tested while some symptomatic NHS staff cannot, and are thereby being prevented from helping out in the worst public health crisis this country has seen in over a century.

On a separate but even more disgusting note, some low-life scum have even broken in and stolen PPE from the NHS trust where my daughter works. I can't express how mad this makes me, not only because my daughter is one of the people who could be affected by this but also in general.

Thief smashes into NHS offices

Because the manufacturers need paying. They need to pay their suppliers and staff.

And the NHS probably can’t afford the cost - not necessarily due to price-gouging (which is many people’s default assumption) but gazumping.

Limited supply and the US has publicly outbid other nations or prevented export.
Even if sold at cost recovery private healthcare companies will have the muscle to outbid public health providers.

Brutal
from John Nic.

I don't think he's quite right on behind closed doors. I think the TV people will go balls out to make it work - while demanding some kind of deal with the clubs because there's no way they will retain (wild guess) 50% of fans on expensive subs.

But otherwise, yes, it's hard to see how football clubs can survive 6-18 months plus with no crowds without massively cutting costs - which means player wages. One way or the other player wages are going to have to be cut by what 25...50...75...85 percent... if there's a 75% cut in revenue at most clubs (wild guess on average) and the clubs are already making a loss, and most employees are close to minimum wage... then the players will have to have wages slashed. And if they don't the clubs will have to go bankrupt to get them off the books. At which point the leagues will have some interesting decisions to make. Can you penalise bankrupcty with points deductions if 16/24 clubs in the division are bankrupt...?

Brutal
from John Nic.

I don't think he's quite right on behind closed doors. I think the TV people will go balls out to make it work - while demanding some kind of deal with the clubs because there's no way they will retain (wild guess) 50% of fans on expensive subs.

But otherwise, yes, it's hard to see how football clubs can survive 6-18 months plus with no crowds without massively cutting costs - which means player wages. One way or the other player wages are going to have to be cut by what 25...50...75...85 percent... if there's a 75% cut in revenue at most clubs (wild guess on average) and the clubs are already making a loss, and most employees are close to minimum wage... then the players will have to have wages slashed. And if they don't the clubs will have to go bankrupt to get them off the books. At which point the leagues will have some interesting decisions to make. Can you penalise bankrupcty with points deductions if 16/24 clubs in the division are bankrupt...?
I like the quote referring to rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic! A good analogy of the planning taking place between the Clubs and Authorities

Gonna be an interesting World War between Socioeconomic Forces and Mother Nature. No idea how it will pan out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back