A&H

How long before Coronavirus impacts Football?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just playing devil's advocate here but what is the point of spending billions saving the old/sick/whatever in the short term if the long term outcome is millions of surviving people starving/dying because of the global impact on economies/productivity/transport/fuel distribution etc?
That makes me the devil :devil:

The Referee Store
Some great posts since I last looked...a few comments for what they are worth.The whole concept of the reaction to Covid19 is being driven by the health profession so we get a skew to the sanctity of life come all costs.
What is not factored in are the likely resultant deaths after the pandemic is over through the likes of suicide and further poverty.
And a vaccin...don't hold your breath, it's related to the common cold viruses (think I read there are four) we don't have one for any of them yet......
My view is still that this should have been allowed to run its course.......still no antidote to death that I'm aware of.....

Reactions: Kes
Are you guys watching what Trump has been talking about? Seems an interesting take.

But imagine a world where this just plays out...
Close the hospitals from the infected? Lock those people into their homes to recover / die (has happened in the past)?

Would be a fairly dystopian world...

Did anyone see the Democrat rip in to the Republican chap regards charging $1331 for a series of CV tests per person, it was brilliant

Are you guys watching what Trump has been talking about? Seems an interesting take.

But imagine a world where this just plays out...
Close the hospitals from the infected? Lock those people into their homes to recover / die (has happened in the past)?

Would be a fairly dystopian world...
Well, there's this:
...that poses that infection rates might be much higher than presumed with most showing minimal symptoms (from a country late to the testing party though).

I get the feeling in today's news that Tr***'s ramblings are connected to the idea that mass isolation could end and be replaced by extreme isolation but only for the vulnerable. In the corridors of power, someone is thinking that isolation (in many countries) has "worked", so let's keep the over 70s and immune deficient locked up, so we can get back to work (and automated nanosecond stock transactions).

Having put the rest of the country through isolation, it'll be darn easier to sell lock down for the vulnerable only.

Is that where this is going?

We need to do an awful lot more testing.
Iceland are doing their whole population and a large amount of the infected showed no signs of infection.

We need to do an awful lot more testing.
Iceland are doing their whole population and a large amount of the infected showed no signs of infection.
Indeed, and until we have a test that shows whether we have had the virus or not, we'll never know the true mortality rate.

Indeed, and until we have a test that shows whether we have had the virus or not, we'll never know the true mortality rate.

The health secretary said they were buying something like 1.5 million enzyme tests, so they could tell whether people have had it and recovered.

The problem is testing everyone is difficult. I could go to my GP today and get tested for the virus, but then I could catch it from someone while walking back to my car, but the test results will come back negative.

They'd need to continuously test the entire country every few days for the foreseeable future.

The health secretary said they were buying something like 1.5 million enzyme tests, so they could tell whether people have had it and recovered.

The problem is testing everyone is difficult. I could go to my GP today and get tested for the virus, but then I could catch it from someone while walking back to my car, but the test results will come back negative.

They'd need to continuously test the entire country every few days for the foreseeable future.
Eeee, I can only dream of visiting my GP. I'm banned and so is every one else across their patch and the other surgery on the far side of town. I see the National League steps 3,4,5 and 6 are wanting to end the season now and come to a decision later regarding whether the season is null and void or promotion/relegation is decided on PPG. Which ever way they go, there will be some very unhappy people. I just want to make sure the professional game, played behind closed doors if necessary, finishes the current season. For obvious reasons...

It's expected that an effective vaccine will have been developed before Christmas 2020.
Do you have a source for that? According to disease experts like Dr. Anthony Fauci in the US, who announced the start of the first human trial, we're still 12-18 months away from a vaccine being proven safe and effective and authorised for widespread use. I suppose it depends partly what you mean by "developed" - two candidate vaccines are already undergoing phrase 1 human trials and may be ready for Phase 2 testing by then, but not for actual use on the general population, as far as I'm aware.

Do you have a source for that? According to disease experts like Dr. Anthony Fauci in the US, who announced the start of the first human trial, we're still 12-18 months away from a vaccine being proven safe and effective and authorised for widespread use. I suppose it depends partly what you mean by "developed" - two candidate vaccines are already undergoing phrase 1 human trials and may be ready for Phase 2 testing by then, but not for actual use on the general population, as far as I'm aware.

Not one that I can link to.

I heard it from two NHS consultants I work with - although they're both surgeons rather than epidemiologists. I suppose you could call it hearsay.

As with all things of this nature, we'll never know until we know. The Chinese have been tackling this for a few months ahead of the rest of the world, but where they are or might be with it is another guess. All things considered, I'd still be expecting a break-through by the time another 9 months has passed. :)

@Peter Grove ,18 months for a vaccine is an optimistic outlook according the Imperial College London Report I posted

Suppression, repeated second waves and repeated spells (2/3 of the time) of further suppression throughout 2021 is where we're heading (unless something changes). That being the case, we can forget about football as we know it
Presumably, this strategy isn't in the Public Domain, because the Governments know it will cause issues with compliance at this time
If Trump and the American Administration doesn't fancy this approach, I don't blame them. Targeted isolation of the vulnerable makes more sense to me. Hopefully Boris is just buying time for now, to digest and consider the reality of the ways forward

Reactions: Kes
@Peter Grove ,18 months for a vaccine is an optimistic outlook according the Imperial College London Report I posted

Suppression, repeated second waves and repeated spells (2/3 of the time) of further suppression throughout 2021 is where we're heading (unless something changes). That being the case, we can forget about football as we know it
Presumably, this strategy isn't in the Public Domain, because the Governments know it will cause issues with compliance at this time
If Trump and the American Administration doesn't fancy this approach, I don't blame them. Targeted isolation of the vulnerable makes more sense to me. Hopefully Boris is just buying time for now, to digest and consider the reality of the ways forward
Exactly what I expect.......probably resulting in economic collapse, massive increase in poverty, lowered nutrition, exercise, suicide with a death toll that will eclipse even the worst scenario behind the current preventative measures........

Should have let it run its course.

Exactly what I expect.......probably resulting in economic collapse, massive increase in poverty, lowered nutrition, exercise, suicide with a death toll that will eclipse even the worst scenario behind the current preventative measures........

Should have let it run its course.
On an optimistic note, it's extremely early days. The measures in place reflect the Suppression Strategy, but that could be an effort to keep all options open. Like you, I'm gravely concerned about unthinkable consequences of all-out war with Mother Nature
It's bothering me also, that the Governments are being disingenuous about the plight; and none of the politicians in the UK have had the balls to question the direction in which we're headed

Last edited:
4423F89E-A767-4563-A619-BBBFFC4607B2.jpeg
Finally my recent fitness regime since retirement is now being recommended as good for everybody!! Bleep tests my ar5e! ;)

and none of the politicians in the UK have had the balls to question the direction in which we're headed

As alluded to earlier. They won't. Anyone who did would be "heartless/callous/ageist/racist/fascist - all manner of unspeakable evils for not allowing compassion and feelings to trump facts and pragmatism. It's the world we live in now. (Shortly to be changed forever if things go as expected). :confused: :wtf:

Going back to business as usual may not be better for the economy anyway. It's not just the death rate that is the challenge, but the hospitalization and ICU rates. The figures i've seen suggest the hospitalization rater is 10 times the rate for the flu, and the hospital stays are twice as long. And it is about twice as infectious as the flu. I believe those factors--which would completely overwhelm the healthcare system in pretty much every country in the world--are part of what fed the epidemiological studies that suggested over a million deaths in the US without radical steps to interfere with the spread of the disease. While we obviously need to continue to evaluate which steps do the most to protect society (including both lives and the economy) at the most efficient costs (in money, disruption, etc.), suggestions that we can go back to normal right now are essentially delusional. (And unfortunately on this side of the pond, we have a "leader" who makes uninformed speculative comments as if they were facts, which increases the chaos and uncertainty. The idea of packed churches to celebrate Easter in two weeks is a wonderful fantasy, but wholly irresponsible to suggest as plausible.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back