A&H

Hinckley Vs Aylestone Park

A&H International
1st. Red for me. Excessive. He gets the ball first but catches a lot of the players ankle with his trailing foot at speed. Easily an ankle breaker. If you are going to tackle that hard and fast, you cannot go through the player after.

2nd. Caution, hard to tell, because it has been slowed down. The speed looks excessive (which would be a red, but hard to tell). He just doesn't look that interested in the ball, and more interested in going through the player at speed. But he doesn't do anything else overly dangerous and the contact doesn't look too bad.

3rd. A caution for me. The pushed player makes an absolute meal out of that, knowing he's already in hot water.

I’d have an easier time going yellow, red, red than red, red, yellow. The first one was reckless but at least it was a play on the ball. The third is after the play, from a distance, looking to fight. Easy VC for me. If you don’t send him for that players are going to keep escalating until it reaches the level where you send someone.

Last edited:
Slow motions don't help us here. But for me, the first challenge is yellow. My rationale being point of contact is low, force used is high but not quite excessive. What I would say from an observer perspective (without video review) either decision is supportable and it's great to read people using the appropriate language to support their decisions.
Challenge 2 is a red card due to (slow mo might be doing tricks) excessive speed and force combined with potential contact point and the endangering of the opponents safety.
The 3rd push is just a yellow card as far as I can see. It's not even in the chest, it's into the arm so hard pressed to call it brutality. Always a difficult sell sending one player off and cautioning another so for perception of balance I'd be praying I could nab a red player for a caution too so we get some level of balance across the sanctions.

Would love to get these clips on real time speed for better analysis.

Missed the DOGSO in there too!
Agreed. I think they are always the hardest to get. The non-offending defender very quickly moves into a position that makes him look like a covering defender. Key that we are calling DOGSO in our heads and not relying on taking a late picture.

Third one, I think I can see a case for excessive force or brutality, but I can also see for USB. I'd like to see it at normal speed, ideally.

Red, red, yellow for me. I'm ok with the first one being yellow but I need a good explanation on why you thing it's not excessive and not endangering safety of opponent. Scissors tackles are red almost any time when there is any speed involved.

From a coaching point, for the second red, good show of teamwork consulting the AR, but I would tell him to reconsider his position when consulting him. Very close to spectators with his back to them, and in the middle of all the players. 10 yard inside the filed to one side of the players isolated and with a view to all players would have been much better. Also I like his delivery of card, calm, clear who it is for and with a good distance to the target player. The only thing I would change is the finger pointing to exit. It's condescending and provocitive. Only do it if the player is refusing to leave or continues arguing.

Slow motions don't help us here. But for me, the first challenge is yellow. My rationale being point of contact is low, force used is high but not quite excessive. What I would say from an observer perspective (without video review) either decision is supportable and it's great to read people using the appropriate language to support their decisions.
Challenge 2 is a red card due to (slow mo might be doing tricks) excessive speed and force combined with potential contact point and the endangering of the opponents safety.
The 3rd push is just a yellow card as far as I can see. It's not even in the chest, it's into the arm so hard pressed to call it brutality. Always a difficult sell sending one player off and cautioning another so for perception of balance I'd be praying I could nab a red player for a caution too so we get some level of balance across the sanctions.

Would love to get these clips on real time speed for better analysis.
Watch highlights here

Yellow, red yellow for much the same reasons as already stated with the added bonus: I was once sent off for a push just like this one and I never got over it

I think Red, Red, Red is entirely supportable. The first one is orange for me - I think you can make a case either way and the ref has a quite different angle to the camera, which means he will have seen something at least subtly different.

I think in isolation the third could be sold as Yellow, but when you've binned two from one team already and turned down a DOGSO and it's all kicking off, I think the opportunity offered is one I'd also have taken.

The DOGSO should have been given, but as @JamesL says it's difficult to take that snapshot at exactly the right moment. Sometimes that's not 100% possible and you have to inject a bit of intuition and consideration of what everyone is expecting. In this case, the route of least resistance in the moment is undoubtedly Red, which would also have been technically correct

Back