A&H

Head injuries

OnlyUseMeWhistle

RefChat Addict
Level 3W Referee
Had an interesting couple of incidents in my first WNL game at the weekend:

Both times a ball is crossed in and a defender is hit in the head by the ball and goes down without much drama, whilst the attack continues.

Both times the time with the injured player start screaming "head" and I chose to let the attack finish because both had a strong chance of leading to a GSO and in fact both did.

Are we actually expected to stop the game for a ball hitting someone in the head if they go down? I'd understand if it was Fergie style "could have killed him" belt from close distance in the head, but this felt wrong and I chose not to stop each time.

Obviously if they'd gone down limp I would've blown but having a sore nose doesn't class as a "serious injury" for me.

A&H International
Tricky One. I think textbook answer would go something like :

1. We stop play for a potentially serious injury, not for a head injury per se.
2. A potentially serious head injury would usually be either a cut or potential concussion
3. We obviously err on the safe side for potential concussion, but if it's clearly just a sore nose, play on unless it's bleeding badly

Of course expectations are different in kids' football, but not I would have thought at WNL level ?

Tricky One. I think textbook answer would go something like :

1. We stop play for a potentially serious injury, not for a head injury per se.
2. A potentially serious head injury would usually be either a cut or potential concussion
3. We obviously err on the safe side for potential concussion, but if it's clearly just a sore nose, play on unless it's bleeding badly

Of course expectations are different in kids' football, but not I would have thought at WNL level ?
I like that rationale, stealing it for next time!

I was surprised actually that the tolerance for contact between players was so low. Barely higher than County level, even though the pace and quality was much much higher.

What I would say is that if a player gets a blow to the head/face by the ball & goes to ground, with players welfare being paramount can you take the risk of not stopping the game. In the PL/EFL if the officials are aware of an injured player going to ground with a head injury, they stop the game -full stop.

It's a tricky line to walk. I was reffing an adult Women's game when a girl standing about 3 metres away from me got hit in the head by the ball. I was close enough to see the main contact was on her neck and cheek. She went down on one knee and I let the attack carry on for about 20 seconds, leading to a goal kick. As I turned back towards midfield she got to her feet screaming angrily: "Hey! I was hit on the f##king head - you IDIOT!!". I showed her a red card. I did write a report giving her a fair amount of sympathy but the league official was simple in his reply: "She was clearly not seriously injured, and you did the right thing. End of story."

It's a tricky line to walk. I was reffing an adult Women's game when a girl standing about 3 metres away from me got hit in the head by the ball. I was close enough to see the main contact was on her neck and cheek. She went down on one knee and I let the attack carry on for about 20 seconds, leading to a goal kick. As I turned back towards midfield she got to her feet screaming angrily: "Hey! I was hit on the f##king head - you IDIOT!!". I showed her a red card.
yep with tricky line & perhaps you can understand her anger/frustration - although you probably had no option but to show her the red card with her screaming the words she used, this could easily had a different outcome had the game been stopped at the time of the ball hitting her neck/cheek. I appreciate hindsight is a wonderful thing.

yep with tricky line & perhaps you can understand her anger/frustration - although you probably had no option but to show her the red card with her screaming the words she used, this could easily had a different outcome had the game been stopped at the time of the ball hitting her neck/cheek. I appreciate hindsight is a wonderful thing.
Okay but if we are going to stop the game every time a player takes a football to the head then obviously there’s a huge incentive for a defending player to go down whenever they head the ball!

Okay but if we are going to stop the game every time a player takes a football to the head then obviously there’s a huge incentive for a defending player to go down whenever they head the ball!
There is that potential but I am at over 65 games a season at Steps 2-7 & I haven’t seen any defending or attacking player go to ground just from heading the ball - only from a clash of heads or from an opponents arm or being in the way of the ball following a shot etc.

There is that potential but I am at over 65 games a season at Steps 2-7 & I haven’t seen any defending or attacking player go to ground just from heading the ball - only from a clash of heads or from an opponents arm or being in the way of the ball following a shot etc.
Likewise, until Sunday when it happened twice at step 4 in one game!

I think a football to the head from a cross does hurt but I also don’t think it comes under “serious injury” as detailed by IFAB or the FA.
Yes it can hurt even sting especially during the winter months but in the guidelines to the match officials that follow the LotG it states

The safety of the players is of paramount importance and the referee should facilitate the work of the medical personnel, especially in the case of a serious injury and/or an assessment of a head injury. This will include respecting and assisting with agreed assessment/treatment protocols.

Therefore because concussion can be obtained from heading the ball, imo a Referee should not take any chances and to stop the game for any head injury.

I agree and I completely see there is a tactical incentive however this is for the powers that be to determine how to loop the grey area. Ultimately, in that capacity of being a referee, we are not medical professionals. When it comes to potential head injuries, I would much rather stop the game for absolutely nothing to er on the side of caution rather than let the game go and a player is down with a serious head injury. Not all head injuries are visible. Player safety is paramount.

I agree and I completely see there is a tactical incentive however this is for the powers that be to determine how to loop the grey area. Ultimately, in that capacity of being a referee, we are not medical professionals. When it comes to potential head injuries, I would much rather stop the game for absolutely nothing to er on the side of caution rather than let the game go and a player is down with a serious head injury. Not all head injuries are visible. Player safety is paramount.
Many will agree with you, including me.

Being hit on the head by the ball is very different from heading the ball.
You'll often see players with poor technique have the ball just land on the top of their head; this is far more likely to cause an issue than a player using their forehead to head the ball

I had a player take a clearance of the ball to the side of their head. They did a little weird wobble and went down after it. I immediately whistled as it didn't look right. It looked like really poor acting, but it was first 5mins of the game and they had nothing to gain from it.

They stayed down and it looked as if it might of been serious. They went off and came back on. But was just weird, maybe it depends a lot where it hits. This guy took it straight to the temple.

Glad it happened when it did, as if temperatures were high, or if his team was time wasting, it doesn't look like one I would be too happy about blowing up for (You learn though).

I had a player take a clearance of the ball to the side of their head. They did a little weird wobble and went down after it. I immediately whistled as it didn't look right. It looked like really poor acting, but it was first 5mins of the game and they had nothing to gain from it.

They stayed down and it looked as if it might of been serious. They went off and came back on. But was just weird, maybe it depends a lot where it hits. This guy took it straight to the temple.

Glad it happened when it did, as if temperatures were high, or if his team was time wasting, it doesn't look like one I would be too happy about blowing up for (You learn though).
If you get a full on clearance to the side of the head it can be like being hit by a boxer. I've been there myself, my legs went to jelly and I stumbled to the floor. I was fine after 30 seconds or so, but the ball can cause a bit of damage if it hits you in the wrong place.

If you get a full on clearance to the side of the head it can be like being hit by a boxer. I've been there myself, my legs went to jelly and I stumbled to the floor. I was fine after 30 seconds or so, but the ball can cause a bit of damage if it hits you in the wrong place.
Happened to me just a few weeks ago. I stepped backwards as a player angled to hoof it up field, he completely spooned it and before I knew it it smacked me on the back of the head. Saw stars for a few moments 😆 . Good job we now can stop the game in this situation as not sure how I'd have continued immediately if it led to a quick break with the old law.

Thanks for this, will err on the side of caution and just blow in future, imagine the hassle of potentially ruling out a goal is worth the safety element

Back