A&H

Head injuries

I think that it's been discussed before, but could football follow rugby's example in these instances and have the referee / 4th official wave the physio on to assess the player, whilst play continues.
Obviously doesn't work if the player is close to play or in the middle of the penalty area, but could stop some potential time wasting tactics.

A&H International
Would just see players hobbling to the edge of their box then going back down.

Said it before but, I’d rather stop a potential Bumlington Town Reserves attack and check that a player isn’t choking on his own tongue, than have the opposite, worst case scenario, occur.

Would just see players hobbling to the edge of their box then going back down.

Said it before but, I’d rather stop a potential Bumlington Town Reserves attack and check that a player isn’t choking on his own tongue, than have the opposite, worst case scenario, occur.
Yeah on a Sunday park league I'm less arsed, harder to do at WNL level!

If you stop it quickly enough you are always in a good position.

Even if there is something on, if you kill the attack fast, I usually tell the attacking players "the advantage looks better once the defence have stopped"

Also, when I posted that I forgot about the actual original point of the OP.

I had 2 matches this weekend. Sat and Mon. On Saturday, I had an incident which I certainly could have managed better.

A player, who had already gone to ground very softly previously, goes down holding his head under an aerial challenge. The ball stayed up in the air and took a few more headers and I reluctantly decided I should probably stop play, but in my head I wanted to confirm who had possession so that it was an easy drop ball restart. As the ball came down, an opposition player played a through ball almost on the volley and the whole defensive line stood still calling head injury ref, and his team mate was through on goal. By this point, I was already a loser as I was going to very much upset one of the 2 teams. I decided in the moment that I had to let the OGSO play out and the lad scored.

I made sure on monday's game that the 2 occasions a player went down with a head injury, I stopped play very quickly.

I get the “stop quickly” point but both head injuries were from crosses into the box and both times the ball continued into the box and to an attacker who missed. Sometimes you’re just ****ed either way

The other thing that annoys me slightly, is as much as I could definitely have managed that situation better, the idea of stopping play for a head injury is not to prevent a team conceding. It is in case that player needs urgent treatment, so that they can receive it. If it was a leg injury they wouldn't blame me for conceeding, so why does it being a head injury make it my fault?
The problem here is with the expectation IMO. The defence stopped completely. Obviously as referees we want to referee to expectation, which is why I would have liked to have stopped it sooner.

I think that it's been discussed before, but could football follow rugby's example in these instances and have the referee / 4th official wave the physio on to assess the player, whilst play continues.
Obviously doesn't work if the player is close to play or in the middle of the penalty area, but could stop some potential time wasting tactics.
Problem is football is much faster than rugby, the area of the pitch that play is in changes a lot faster and there'd be too much of a risk that the player or physio get mixed up in play.

Most refs will say it as well when they stop play, granted "potential serious injury" may sound a bit pompous.
No different to some other issues in football where we only have ourselves to blame. "Got the ball ref" is there because we justify not giving a foul by saying "he got the ball" or gesture ball with our hands. Or players go down on the slightest contact because there is very little chance we blow for a foul if a player stays on his feet.

Problem is football is much faster than rugby, the area of the pitch that play is in changes a lot faster and there'd be too much of a risk that the player or physio get mixed up in play.
Or innocently mixes himself up in play 😉 and turn an attack into a dropped ball.

No different to some other issues in football where we only have ourselves to blame. "Got the ball ref" is there because we justify not giving a foul by saying "he got the ball" or gesture ball with our hands. Or players go down on the slightest contact because there is very little chance we blow for a foul if a player stays on his feet.
It’s all a potential minefield & at the end of the day much depends on whether the teams involved want to get on with things, or not. Fortunately, many of the games I am seeing be it u23, supply league or higher, many want to get on with things. This is what will hopefully bring in some more supporters to watch - or I would like to think so.

No different to some other issues in football where we only have ourselves to blame. "Got the ball ref" is there because we justify not giving a foul by saying "he got the ball" or gesture ball with our hands.
One of my pet hates when observing. ;)

One of my pet hates when observing. ;)
What about if I occasionally point and say 'there's the ball'?

My way of saying 'all ball, not a foul' without actually saying that, as we all know getting the ball doesn't necessarily mean no foul. Tehcnically 'there's the ball' doesn't mean anything 😆 I'm just telling them where the ball is...

My way of saying 'all ball, not a foul' without actually saying that, as we all know getting the ball doesn't necessarily mean no foul. Tehcnically 'there's the ball' doesn't mean anything 😆 I'm just telling them where the ball is...
I still say not a good practice. I actually see players who do exactly the same (point to the ball in a "there is the ball' gesture) to say they didn't commit a foul.

Not pointing anyone out as I also sometimes say "all ball" to justify no foul which I don't like. Old habits die hard. My usual go-to line is "fair tackle" though.

Doesn't really matter. (And by the way, this has been debated at length on here before).
By pointing at the ball after a challenge/appeal for a foul you're doing little more than helping perpetuate that player myth that "it can't be a foul cos I got/won the ball".
It's not compatible with any LOTG and actually flies in the face of them for me.

Doesn't really matter. (And by the way, this has been debated at length on here before).
By pointing at the ball after a challenge/appeal for a foul you're doing little more than helping perpetuate that player myth that "it can't be a foul cos I got/won the ball".
It's not compatible with any LOTG and actually flies in the face of them for me.
I know, I was just joking. It’s a bad habit that I’ve cut down on massively but still do very occasionally. Working on removing it completely!

Back