A&H

HATS!!!!!

I've only come across it at younger age youth football, such as the U13's in the OP. And in my experience, those players that want to wear a hat aren't actually that interested in the football. Nonetheless, I've never had a complaint when asking for it to be removed (and IIRC I've never come across a hat being worn that would meet the guidelines of being either black or the same colour as the shirt - so that could always be the clause to rely on).

The Referee Store
The undisputed fact is on page 56 of the good book.
If we are saying a head cover coves the term hat then subject to the conditions on that page, they can be worn

Two pages of guff, including, with respect, the op itself, which as a few posters have pointed out, is factually incorrect.

The undisputed fact is on page 56 of the good book.
If we are saying a head cover coves the term hat then subject to the conditions on that page, they can be worn

Two pages of guff, including, with respect, the op itself, which as a few posters have pointed out, is factually incorrect.
It's worryingly that the LOTG very clearly says 'head coverings can be worn' and so many posters on here are saying 'no they can't'

It's worryingly that the LOTG very clearly says 'head coverings can be worn' and so many posters on here are saying 'no they can't'

They can if they are black or the same colour as the kit, if they are of a professional appearance (which is very open to interpretation), and so on. I've refereed for over 20 years, around half of this at grass roots and the other half in the semi-pro game, and I don't recall a player other than keepers ever trying to play with a hat on. This even includes hundreds of games on Hackney Marshes, and there just doesn't seem to be any desire for players to make themselves look silly.

Law 4 does not say players can't wear hats

Head Covers

Where head covers (excluding goalkeepers's caps) are worn, they must:
  • be black or the same main colour as the shirt (provided that the players of the same team wear the same colour)
  • be in keeping with the professional appearance of the player’s equipment
  • not be attached to the shirt
  • not be dangerous to the player wearing it or any other player (e.g. opening/closing mechanism around neck)
  • not have any part(s) extending out from the surface (protruding elements)

The person who decides whether the hat is in keeping with a professional appearance or not at grass roots is the same person who wants to wear it, the referee!

Therefore, if you think a sports beeney is in keeping with a professional appearance (umpires where hats at cricket, caps in American football etc) then go ahead imo.

At grass roots it always boils down to one thing for me. If you won't enjoy the game because your head/hands etc are frozen then stick the relevant clothing on and get out there and enjoy it

The good thing about the stupid "professional appearance" clause is its highly subjective. So use it to allow a hat, not disallow unless there's good reason. Pompom on top? I'd be disallowing it. Aside from that, it if meets criteria, who cares? Why are referees on here saying "if i don't think it's cold enough I'll ban it" - who cares if you think it is? The player thinks it's cold enough.

The good thing about the stupid "professional appearance" clause is its highly subjective. So use it to allow a hat, not disallow unless there's good reason. Pompom on top? I'd be disallowing it. Aside from that, it if meets criteria, who cares? Why are referees on here saying "if i don't think it's cold enough I'll ban it" - who cares if you think it is? The player thinks it's cold enough.
My point is that if a player thinks it's cold enough to wear a hat, should you really be playing the game? Player safety is paramount, not your £25 plus 30p per mile

I never let any outfield player were a hat per se, I remember asking a GK to remove a wooly hat, the silly ones that tie underneath in platted wool, it clearly wasn't a cap and was being used for warmth not the sun!! Was I cruel?? :devil:

Internationalist.
Played for one of Europes biggest teams
Easier to list Scottish teams he has not played for rather than those he has
I have officiated him dressed as pic 1 and have seen him play in games as per pic 2

Attachments

• hat.jpeg
    hat.jpeg
    37 KB · Views: 11
  • hat2.jpg
    hat2.jpg
    394.3 KB · Views: 11
My point is that if a player thinks it's cold enough to wear a hat, should you really be playing the game? Player safety is paramount, not your £25 plus 30p per mile
That seems like a big leap for me. There's a long way to go from 'uncomfortable' to 'unsafe'.

Heck, I've worn a beanie before playing in a tournament in a different state, as have a lot of players. Wasn't even close to unsafe, but it was pretty uncomfortable.

I mean, we may as well ban players from wearing gloves. This entire conversation is rather silly - If you're looking at a typical, no frills beanie that matches the shirt colour, there's no reason why the referee should have anything to say. None whatsoever.

Why do people need to look for ways to be difficult?

The laws do not provide a route for a referee to stop a player from wearing a head covering (which is a hat) as long as it meets the criteria set out by IFAB, I would go so far as to say that any referee who stops a player from wearing a hat which meets the above requirements would be incorrect in law, and just being a jobs worth.

I very rarely wear hats or gloves, maybe if I'm shoveling snow or clearing my windscreen at early oclock.

I have never worn gloves when I referee, I do not wear long sleeve shirts and/or undershirts unless I'm running the line, and even then it has to be really cold and raining. But, that doesn't mean I am going to dictate to someone whether they are allowed to wear something, which the laws allow, to help them keep warm.

I don't think I've ever seen a player wear a hat around near me, but generally around here the weather is quite mild

Saturday December 15th 2018. afternoon game.real feel temperature minus 7 plus lashing it down with rain. I wore my black beenie hat and both goalkeepers plus 1 outfield player wore hats. having read this thread one of them was non compliant as it had a bobble on the top but I did not know finer point at the time.
Pitch was fine - could I have called game off on the basis of it being too cold - would have felt a bit of a sissy if I did but is was extremely unpleasant conditions.

When I did my ref course, they said No to hats as they may drop down and cover the eyes...which could be a danger to the player or an opponent. Although, they said, a turban would be allowed as it could cause offence, if not !

When I did my ref course, they said No to hats as they may drop down and cover the eyes...which could be a danger to the player or an opponent. Although, they said, a turban would be allowed as it could cause offence, if not !
Sh1t, they'll require players to stitch their eyelids open next.....just so they don't blink.......

There was a football league ref wore such a thing......few years back......

Back