A&H

HATS!!!!!

Zimmyman

Ok the laws state no head covering to be worn only keepers caps in an u13 game today 3 players with different colour hats on ! 13 year olds grass roots freezing I let it go
Thoughts

The Referee Store
Law 4 does not say players can't wear hats

Head Covers

Where head covers (excluding goalkeepers's caps) are worn, they must:
  • be black or the same main colour as the shirt (provided that the players of the same team wear the same colour)
  • be in keeping with the professional appearance of the player’s equipment
  • not be attached to the shirt
  • not be dangerous to the player wearing it or any other player (e.g. opening/closing mechanism around neck)
  • not have any part(s) extending out from the surface (protruding elements)

That second bullet is the key for me. The law was changed primarily to cater for religious head gear, and shouldn't be used to allow a player to wear a bobble hat because his head is cold, as it would be a push to argue that it has a professional appearance.

That second bullet is the key for me. The law was changed primarily to cater for religious head gear, and shouldn't be used to allow a player to wear a bobble hat because his head is cold, as it would be a push to argue that it has a professional appearance.

on the flip side, its ok for the 4th to wear a bobble hat? Which he would be wearing because his head is cold?
I cant see any reason why a matching colour or black hat as per LOTG cannot be worn on the park. Not a animal face one with droopy ears and pointy bits that look more like a Snapchat filter, but hat/gloves.......exactly the same for me.

on the flip side, its ok for the 4th to wear a bobble hat? Which he would be wearing because his head is cold?
I cant see any reason why a matching colour or black hat as per LOTG cannot be worn on the park. Not a animal face one with droopy ears and pointy bits that look more like a Snapchat filter, but hat/gloves.......exactly the same for me.

Have you ever seen a pro player wearing a woolly hat …?!

Have you ever seen a pro player wearing a woolly hat …?!

nope but I don't think he could be stopped!!! (subject to it meeting the LOTG)...... ref to player, "can you remove that matching hat which has no safety concerns relating to it please?" player "why", ref "erm, cos I said so?"???

seen it lots in public park football.
certainly seen it on 4th, AR and AAR.

(frantically runs to google image "pro footballers avec hat during game".........)

nope but I don't think he could be stopped!!! (subject to it meeting the LOTG)...... ref to player, "can you remove that matching hat which has no safety concerns relating to it please?" player "why", ref "erm, cos I said so?"???

seen it lots in public park football.
certainly seen it on 4th, AR and AAR.

(frantically runs to google image "pro footballers avec hat during game".........)

4th official is different as he has to stand still, and potentially even the AAR. I've never, ever seen a top level AR wearing a woolly hat.

4th official is different as he has to stand still, and potentially even the AAR. I've never, ever seen a top level AR wearing a woolly hat.

whether we have seen one or none, I cant see it enforced that you cant. Have certainly seen it at regulated games here.

I also recall soon after I discovered this lovely place on the interweb, it was confirmed by someone sending an email to IFAB that slippers are permitted, so, if slippers, gloves are allowed then I cannot see how we can say no hats....

But as long as whatever style of hat the player is wearing meets those criteria we worked have no grounds for stopping them from wearing a hat to keep their heads warm.

But, different referees would have different ideas about what constitutes a "professional" appearance. I would interpret that as saying a beany style hat, or the or the head warmer type things which cover the ears but not the top of the head word be ok

Looking at this from a different angle... if it's so cold that a player HAS to wear a hat, should you even be playing. Perhaps they'd be better off sticking to FIFA or PES

Why does a Sunday league match need to worry about professional appearance? Let's apply a bit of common sense here - if a player wants to wear a hat, so what?
Seems like you mob are looking for problems....

Back