A&H

GER v SCO - Euro 24

george.g

Level 5 Referee
First VAR intervention of Euro 2024 with Turpin giving a penalty, and VAR giving a free kick on the edge of the PA.

Intrigued that the ref wasn’t sent to the pitchside monitor? First time I’ve seen that in a while.

Either way, thought it was a stonewall PK real time, but seems a good intervention.

A&H International
First VAR intervention of Euro 2024 with Turpin giving a penalty, and VAR giving a free kick on the edge of the PA.

Intrigued that the ref wasn’t sent to the pitchside monitor? First time I’ve seen that in a while..
Objective so VAR can just send the decision down with no OFR
Either way, thought it was a stonewall PK real time, but seems a good intervention.
Agree. There was a secondary foul for me inside the area so thought penalty should have been awarded.

Objective so VAR can just send the decision down with no OFR
Yeah, realised when I thought about it. That being said, been a long time since I’ve seen it while watching live for anything besides offside.

Would’ve liked it to be an OFR, as there were multiple contact points and very close together time wise.

Called red card on that in real time. Be surprised if not to monitor for red and pen.

Currently undergoing a review for a foul on Gundo, which will be a PK.

Will be shocked if this isn’t given, and at least cautioned for Reckless.

FOOTBALL IS BACK!!! 🎉

I actually thought the first VAR review was a penalty, there was a second contact in the box by Tierney, that was enough to give a penalty for me!

Absolutely disgraceful challenge by Porteous there!

No surprises. Nasty challenge that and he can’t really have any complaints. Cleared him out, through the ankle and undoubtedly endangers safety of the opponent.

Nice to hear commentary agreeing.

At least a caution? 😲

What would be your criteria to upgrade that to a red? A chainsaw to the leg? 🤣
At least eh, was giving myself more scope to be right!

In fairness I wrote that as I saw the behind angle, and the movement was reckless. Saw a second, and the contact was blatantly red. Couldn’t take it back once I wrote it. :wall:

I expected the female on the commentary with the 'rules' to have at least mentioned SFP, I don't recall hearing it from her.

Maybe she's going off a different set to the usual 'laws'.

Called pen live. Poor decision I think to let it go. Awful challenge and fully deserving a red card
While I agree that is one I'm sure Turpin would like to have back, in my mind that's the type of play that VAR was meant to help get right. There's a lot going on in a condensed area. Potential shot on goal, plenty of Scotland players around (possible DOGSO-H), etc. It's absolutely a red card and a penalty, but with everything else occurring I could see a situation where a referee is like, "Wait, did I REALLY just see that"?

I know VAR has its problems and we want to see it get better, but for me this is the type of play that does show it has value. My point being that Turpin did miss the call on the field, but I think there are explainable reasons why he missed it. So VAR has another look at it and helps the center identify the C&O error and get to the right decision.

Last edited:
I expected the female on the commentary with the 'rules' to have at least mentioned SFP, I don't recall hearing it from her.

Maybe she's going off a different set to the usual 'laws'.
Rules analyst, not laws!

Either way, she had the right outcome, and I guess she had it in fan language. As refs, we all know it’s SFP.

Would’ve liked to hear ‘endangering safety’ to be fair

I like this ref. Seen him pop up on a few Champions League games and I like his vibe. Zero effs given.

(In my defence I don't watch much elite football - team I support are sh*te lol)

Seems VERY unlike Porteus. :rolleyes:

I haven't been looking at law changes yet, but with the 'only the captain can approach' trial, IFAB states, 'This trial is available only to competitions that do not involve teams from the top two domestic levels or senior ‘A’ international teams.
Bit confused by that, as to why is it being used in the Euros?

More importantly, will this apply to grassroots next season? Apologies if this has been discussed on another thread.

This isn't anything close to the trial. There set protocols and guidance for the trial which isn't happening here. This is just UEFA mandating it for this comp. Seems to be working well

This seems less of an IFAB mandated trial, and more something Rossetti has instructed for his refs, and told players.
Thanks for the clarification, yes just read that story and Googled it after your post. So sounds unlikely to be in grassroots next season, which is a shame.

I haven't been looking at law changes yet, but with the 'only the captain can approach' trial, IFAB states, 'This trial is available only to competitions that do not involve teams from the top two domestic levels or senior ‘A’ international teams.
Bit confused by that, as to why is it being used in the Euros?

More importantly, will this apply to grassroots next season? Apologies if this has been discussed on another thread.
I've seen several articles saying UEFA would emphasize this for the event. So far in this game, we've seen several instances of Turpin only dealing with Robertson. The conversations have seemed to be pretty civil so far.

I'm still skeptical whether this will be consistently and continuously enforced. These types of things always seem to be enforced for a couple of days, then we go back to normal. The test will be in later games and/or when a captain like Ronaldo, Modric, or Mbappe goes past "discussion" and to "berating". Will referees have the courage to issue the misconduct, and will UEFA back them?

Back