A&H

GER v SCO - Euro 24

That argument still doesn't stack up. Why would an elite referee see something and not give it, knowing that if VAR come in and correct him it will almost certainly end any hopes of progression beyond the group stage? No referee would think that way in a tournament.
I've replied to your viewpoint a good number of times, although it could also be said that I've initiated the same debate too many times myself

A&H International
That argument still doesn't stack up. Why would an elite referee see something and not give it, knowing that if VAR come in and correct him it will almost certainly end any hopes of progression beyond the group stage? No referee would think that way in a tournament.

Big Cat with VAR conspiracies during a major tournament since 2018. :D

Big Cat with VAR conspiracies during a major tournament since 2018. :D
You're missing the point.... My argument is that I don't believe Elite Referees are so bad as to make so many C&O mistakes
You're viewpoint is that they are, by inference. I fundamentally can't accept that your idols are so error prone. I look for plausable explanation and guess that it must boil down to the instruction they're given and/or the sub-conscious detrimental impact on their performance that VAR causes

I dunno, maybe you'[re right. Maybe they are that bad. That also make me right on an alternative notion of mine, that there's almost no difference in ability between say... National League Referees and their Elite counterparts

Last edited:
@Big Cat I sat on a RA thing recently with a premier league referee not too long back and they said the conspiracy of leaving the decision to VAR was nonsense as they have build up decades of experience refereeing a certain way, a muscle memory if you like, and they just referee as if var isn't there. Then if they get called to the screen it sort of messes with their flow.

They had been very honest about a few very controversial things, so I doubt that would have been a lie.

@Big Cat I sat on a RA thing recently with a premier league referee not too long back and they said the conspiracy of leaving the decision to VAR was nonsense as they have build up decades of experience refereeing a certain way, a muscle memory if you like, and they just referee as if var isn't there. Then if they get called to the screen it sort of messes with their flow.

They had been very honest about a few very controversial things, so I doubt that would have been a lie.
I met two former PL refs on Thursday at an event in Wolverhampton and they both said this as well. They both heavily implied that they hate VAR, so I doubt they would deliberately put it in the spotlight by having to use it.

I've replied to your viewpoint a good number of times, although it could also be said that I've initiated the same debate too many times myself
I know you've raised the point several times, but you haven't been able to explain why a referee would willingly and knowingly ignore an incident knowing full well it would get them a 7.9. Especially in tournament football where a 7.9 would all but rule them out of progressing beyond the group stage, and even more so when he would know that VAR had already corrected him once so he was already sitting on 7.9 and would be facing a 7.4 with another missed KMD. You would need to have absolute rocks for brains to do something so incredibly dumb.

I met two former PL refs on Thursday at an event in Wolverhampton and they both said this as well. They both heavily implied that they hate VAR, so I doubt they would deliberately put it in the spotlight by having to use it.
The guys at the top I've listened to said VAR was great. I haven't met a top ref to dislike it.

A safety net. As they mentioned the worst feeling in the world was making a mistake that ruined a game because it was blatantly and overly obvious. Then having to hear and see it everywhere for the next few weeks. Have it thrown in your face by every manager and player.

So VAR removes that. Which some would say is the worst part.

Yep.
Top referees just ref the match as they've always done. VAR isn't really there to help the match officials effectively. It's there at the request of the clubs/teams to help negate the possibility of match changing (and therefore big money) decisions being missed or wrongfully applied.
As Chris Kavannagh told us last season: No referee wants that dreaded word in their ear telling them to jog over to the monitor because by inference it means that they've either missed something or potentially got something wrong.

I’m not convinced UEFA will hand out appointments based on this tournament alone… there must be also some consideration given to their domestic season/Champions League/recent form.

I’d expect Turpin to be among the runners and riders for a big game later in the tournament despite a couple of misses in this match.

I know you've raised the point several times, but you haven't been able to explain why a referee would willingly and knowingly ignore an incident knowing full well it would get them a 7.9. Especially in tournament football where a 7.9 would all but rule them out of progressing beyond the group stage, and even more so when he would know that VAR had already corrected him once so he was already sitting on 7.9 and would be facing a 7.4 with another missed KMD. You would need to have absolute rocks for brains to do something so incredibly dumb.
Yes, I know your argument carries some merit. But it does imply that the Referees really are that bad that C&O errors are very very commonplace. My view is that I can't accept that the Referees are that bad. One way or another, the standard of on-field officiating has been badly compromised by having Bog Brother watching on. Even Howard Webb has reluctantly inferred that all but his best Refs (likely Oliver and Taylor) have had their challenges.

Often times, some forumites (yourself being near the top of the list) take my posts too literally. What I tend to do, is post theories or possible explanations for broad problems in the game. They're hypothesis to stimulate conversation. Naturally, I have an opinion or inclination towards these ideas, but my views are not as cemented as they may appear in a Social Media context

Last edited:
Back