A&H

GER v SCO - Euro 24

I've seen several articles saying UEFA would emphasize this for the event. So far in this game, we've seen several instances of Turpin only dealing with Robertson. The conversations have seemed to be pretty civil so far.

I'm still skeptical whether this will be consistently and continuously enforced. These types of things always seem to be enforced for a couple of days, then we go back to normal. The test will be in later games and/or when a captain like Ronaldo, Modric, or Mbappe goes past "discussion" and to "berating". Will referees have the courage to issue the misconduct, and will UEFA back them?
Hope so. Yes, Turpin can carry it off, as he is so calm, and unfussed and has a brilliant air of confidence about him. He is so good to watch as a ref

A&H International
I think it would work at Step 5-7, and some grassroots, but risks alienating people at some levels of Sunday football etc, but that is why we have trials.

Besides that, I’d like to see the signal for it changed.

Late to the party, but they were two very good VAR interventions in the first half. I thought we were getting referee announcements at this tournament?

Hope so. Yes, Turpin can carry it off, as he is so calm, and unfussed and has a brilliant air of confidence about him. He is so good to watch as a ref
I mentioned on a US-based forum that one of my favorite things to watch in officiating is Clement Turpin give his "I am not amused by your feeble attempts to embellish" expressions (example below, but I prefer his "smirk"). I remember his first Euros in 2016 when he looked like a deer in headlights. Certainly not the case now - I also love his demeanor on the field. Wish I had that instead of my more, um, "intense" personality (which I recognize and work hard to ramp down when things start to get heated).
1718397172205.png

Last edited:
Just realised I'd captained Fullkrug in the UEFA fantasy thing. Lovely stuff.

We got a league going??

I mentioned on a US-based forum that one of my favorite things to watch in officiating is Clement Turpin give his "I am not amused by your feeble attempts to embellish" expressions (example below, but I prefer his "smirk"). I remember his first Euros in 2016 when he looked like a deer in headlights. Certainly not the case now - I also love his demeanor on the field. Wish I had that instead of my more, um, "intense" personality (which I recognize and work hard to ramp down when things start to get heated).
View attachment 7355
Yes, he is great to watch, and somebody to aspire to. Seems to actually enjoy being there, and living the moment

BINGO!!

- First Penalty overturn
- First Penalty award on review
- First Yellow card
- First Red card
- First Goal ruled out
- First goal by a substitute
- First own goal
- First goal from outside the area

🤣

That's effectively Turpin's tournament over before it began. Rescued by VAR, but that will be 2 incorrect KMDs and he's looking at 7.4 at best as a mark.

That's effectively Turpin's tournament over before it began. Rescued by VAR, but that will be 2 incorrect KMDs and he's looking at 7.4 at best as a mark.

So we're going to throw out the guy who maybe had the best season in all of Europe because he had to use var (quickly and efficiently)?

So we're going to throw out the guy who maybe had the best season in all of Europe because he had to use var (quickly and efficiently)?
I don't make the rules, but VAR correcting referees doesn't protect their marks. So in effect he has made two incorrect key match decisions in this game, and in days before VAR that would have killed his tournament.

I know you are going to say the way the penalty kick is allowable in law, but I don’t like it as a continuous movement. The feint is just about in the run up though.

• feinting to kick the ball once the kicker has completed the run-up (feinting in the run-up is permitted); the referee cautions the kicker

I dont disagree with @RustyRef that Turpin isn't going to get a great score. I get he's an international-level official and the expectations are really high at that level. I've already discussed the reasons why I believe he missed the red card/PK. The penalty area line decision is harder. First of all, that's a very tough call in live action anyway given the position of the contact and other players along the penalty area line. Tough to see exactly where the first contact was. Second, the more I think about it, why didn't the crew award the penalty kick for the second contact that was inside of the area. The whistle hadn't blown yet for the first foul. Couldn't the crew have looked at the video, realized there was a more "severe" foul (penalty vs common foul), and said "penalty kick stands"? Genuine question for me - I'm not asking to be snarky in any way.

I know that if I were in a game and could clearly see one foul inside the area and one foul immediately after inside of the area AND I DIDN'T ALREADY BLOW THE WHISTLE FOR THE FIRST FOUL, I'd award the penalty for the second foul. Is this because the call on the field was "first foul was what I called" so you have to review only that call?

It might have been a messy or roundabout way to getting to penalty, but the facts seem to at least make that plausible.

I think another thing that won't help the team also is that they missed an offside in the 2nd half so there were actually 3 VAR interventions, which certainly won't look great in the eyes of the referee committee at UEFA.

I'm not interested in who stays or goes home etc.... but he missed a PK that involved SFP. A wrong KMD doesn't get any worse than that
I doubt he did miss it. I doubt any elite ref would. More likely, he wasn't 100% so just left it to VAR. Are they told to do that by UEFA? Helps justify the existence of VAR. Referees used to make mistakes, but the number of PKs they don't spot seems way higher now that it ever was

I'm not interested in who stays or goes home etc.... but he missed a PK that involved SFP. A wrong KMD doesn't get any worse than that
I doubt he did miss it. I doubt any elite ref would. More likely, he wasn't 100% so just left it to VAR. Are they told to do that by UEFA? Helps justify the existence of VAR. Referees used to make mistakes, but the number of PKs they don't spot seems way higher now that it ever was
That argument still doesn't stack up. Why would an elite referee see something and not give it, knowing that if VAR come in and correct him it will almost certainly end any hopes of progression beyond the group stage? No referee would think that way in a tournament.

Back