A&H

Freiburg v West Ham

The Referee Store
I have no idea how that decision was reached. Defender's arm was way up in the air, that seems like a clear penalty to me.

FFS Ref applying last year's Law and probably next year's Law, but not this year's Law. You couldn't make it up
I won't even mention the PSG PK against NUFC.... oh, I just mentioned it
Farce

I'm never giving that as a penalty now matter what the idiots higher up say.

However, expected that to be given in Europe every time.

There was talk that the referee may of been indicating the West Ham player fouled the Freiburg defender which causes the arm to be in that position when the ball hits. I got to say I can't see a foul there personally.

Dale Johnson says a defender kicking the ball onto his own outstretched arm shouldn't be punished with a penalty according to UEFA laws.

Either way the whole process took way too long especially the VAR trying to decide whether a clear and obvious error occured.

It's a natural position when you're launching a ball away
Err, no it isn't. One arm might go up as you kick the ball, but I have never seen a player kick the ball with both arms up in the air.

Although I do accept the slight nudge in the back could have caused him to raise his arms.

Dale Johnson says a defender kicking the ball onto his own outstretched arm shouldn't be punished with a penalty according to UEFA laws.
There are no UEFA laws. Might be guidance, but if that is the case the VAR obviously hasn't read it otherwise he wouldn't have recommended a review.

There are no UEFA laws. Might be guidance, but if that is the case the VAR obviously hasn't read it otherwise he wouldn't have recommended a review.
I’d put it more that the play in question likely falls at the border of the UEFA guidance, resulting in two trained referees having a difference of opinion as to which side of the line the play comes down on. For any law, rule, guidance, or interpretation, there are always going to be border cases on judgment calls. And that is an area that VAR struggles with.

How difficult it is to clarify whether striking the hand after contact with another body part is a factor or not?
It was in Law, now the written text has been removed. There's talk of it going back in the book
As a Level 4, I don't know what the guidance is. Why am I not allowed to know? What chance have the participants got and how much will we berate them when they get it completely wrong? Why does it need to be so bloody difficult?

I can't see how this can be a border case. It does come off the body (foot or whatever), the hand is as high as it can be. It is binary. Either it's a Handball or not. Which one is it please?

I’d put it more that the play in question likely falls at the border of the UEFA guidance, resulting in two trained referees having a difference of opinion as to which side of the line the play comes down on. For any law, rule, guidance, or interpretation, there are always going to be border cases on judgment calls. And that is an area that VAR struggles with.
Really don't see how any guidance can say that you can have both arms above your head when kicking the ball and not be penalised when you kick it against your arm. As I said before, if it is because of the nudge in the back I'd support that, but we have no idea, another reason why the VAR audio needs to be available to the paying and watching public.

Really don't see how any guidance can say that you can have both arms above your head when kicking the ball and not be penalised when you kick it against your arm. As I said before, if it is because of the nudge in the back I'd support that, but we have no idea, another reason why the VAR audio needs to be available to the paying and watching public.
When you're kicking a ball away like that though, your arms are not down by your side

When you're kicking a ball away like that though, your arms are not down by your side
Nor are they both above your head 😂

There are thousands of images online of footballers kicking the ball, I'd challenge you to find one where the kicker has both arms up vertically in the air. Typically they have one arm out in front of them and the other like the image below.

1709936043496.png

Nor are they both above your head 😂

There are thousands of images online of footballers kicking the ball, I'd challenge you to find one where the kicker has both arms up vertically in the air. Typically they have one arm out in front of them and the other like the image below.

View attachment 7192
Your pic shows a standard volley. The guy in question is trying to hook it high and away with a tackle coming in behind him. Why would he throw his arms up to deliberately stop the ball, when he wants to clear it away from the area ? I think we'll have to agree to disagree.
Problem is, the current laws state it probably is hand ball which is really harsh on the defender

Last edited:
Your pic shows a standard volley. The guy in question is trying to hook it high and away with a tackle coming in behind him. Why would he throw his arms up to deliberately stop the ball, when he wants to clear it away from the area ? I think we'll have to agree to disagree.
Problem is, the current laws state it probably is hand ball which is really harsh on the defender
It doesn't matter what kind of clearance it is, no footballer going to kick the ball is ever going to have both his arms above his head doing it. Challenge stands, show me an image of a footballer kicking the ball that has both hands above his head.

Neither arm is above his head during the kick.
I can only assume the arms go up after to claim for a foul???

Screenshot_2024-03-09-09-22-21-099_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg

Back