A&H

Junior/Youth First match next week!

A&H International
Well, that was certainly an interesting 2nd match. 1 RC for Goalkeeper dogso handball and 1 YC for dissent. Game finished 3-3 with a 90th minute freekick and a 92nd minute penalty for a foul which was clearly inside the PA - really daft challenge at an even worse time. Dissent was for an offside call after a previous warning. I enjoyed this match a lot more than the last, my confidence has grown and I am actually looking forward to my 3rd match on Weds.
MGA had plenty of pointers for me which was brilliant and will be taken on board then...

Well done. An U17 game second up is a pretty tough examination in my view. It is also a big achievement to get the cards out so confidently. Many new referees take a while to get into that groove. Self examination and a commitment to continuing improvement will serve you well on your refereeing journey:

Teenagers language has always been atrocious, never mind these days!!
Something happens between ages of 12-18 - from usually quiet (apart from the odd runt in the litter) to completely the opposite. However, nowadays I see kids on the streets at aged 5/6 using the F word so it may be different for the u12’s.

Something happens between ages of 12-18 - from usually quiet (apart from the odd runt in the litter) to completely the opposite. However, nowadays I see kids on the streets at aged 5/6 using the F word so it may be different for the u12’s.

Times have changed. I’m a teacher.

Adults (and therefore) children’s behaviour has worsened considerably.

My first game has been allocated and it is an under 17 match. So the full 90 - which is going to be a test in itself and on 4G. Any hints tips on dealing with young players would be appreciated.
just make sure to start your watch. i forgot that on my first game. also, pray that you have useful CARs.

the ones who seem to be the worst are the "don't worry i'm qualified" people
Had a qualified ref as a CAR recently. Decided to start calling fouls. Then chucked the flags on the ground and stormed off when I asked him not to. Then came back on the pitch at fulltime to tell me why he isn't shaking my hand.

Just told him I'd run his line any time.

Had a qualified ref as a CAR recently. Decided to start calling fouls. Then chucked the flags on the ground and stormed off when I asked him not to. Then came back on the pitch at fulltime to tell me why he isn't shaking my hand.

Just told him I'd run his line any time.
brilliant response 😂

telling them "i'll take fouls" in the pre match chat is meant to put them at ease so their job isn't as tough 🤷‍♂️

Don’t put too much pressure on yourself, you won’t be Michael Oliver after 5 games, same when you start any pastime or occupation, you won’t be Lewis Hamilton when you first start to drive.

Be the best you can be, fully prepared on LOTG, understand hand signals & go out with confidence.

Refereeing is a tough journey, everyone has lows & highs which test you to the full.

Referee with a smile & good luck 🤞

Back