A&H

Open Age First game of the new year... First ever 3 card trick

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Referee Store
I do not find the word d*** offensive or insulting... A number if other refs I know feel the same. I do find his manner aggressive however. Report will go in today and I will speak to my rdo/coach for their opinion...

Oh Christ......does this really need explaining again?

Words, phrases and gestures can be offensive, insulting or abusive by their design, intent, or content, without the need for the referee to actually feel offended etc......

This is really a basic principle of any language.......

The easiest cop out from referees who don't deal with S6 properly is to say 'Well I didn't feel......'

Do you not?? New to me...

Anyway message just sent to coach, who is a well respected level 3 and was given to me through the north west development group so as far as I'm concerned what he says is as close to gospel as I'm going to get...

Would the report (to cover myself) go in through wholegame also?? I may actually ring my cfa chief exec tomorrow to be sure

Just put the game into the Whole game system, add disciplinary report, add red card, add the players name, drop down for S7 and add the two cautions, have a play.

Why would you be unhappy? If I were the referee and I thought you were being over sensitive by the comment I'd caution

Because it's a clear case of S6 and the player should be walking......if the referee wasn't strong enough to deal with it, I would be unhappy as it leaves me open to further abuse and no confidence in the ref to deal with it.

I can't be bothered to argue. I thought it was a yellow c1AA. You disagreed said it was red s6. In your opinion I am wrong. I disagree, think I got it right... Agree to disagree on it @Padfoot??

Because it's a clear case of S6 and the player should be walking......if the referee wasn't strong enough to deal with it, I would be unhappy as it leaves me open to further abuse and no confidence in the ref to deal with it.

I will fully support any assistant, whether they are right or wrong on an honest decision they've made, but if I were to every be put in a situation like that I'd make my own judgment.

Okay, good luck with that.
I have plenty of luck with it because I make it clear at start that it is not tolerated towards me or club linesmen.
So if someone says to you 'oh wise up ref you roger hunt' but with a smile on their face is that ok?
Players, like children, like clear cut boundaries.

Lets at least discuss this like grown ups.

The LOTG dont say "if the referee is OFF IN or ABUS" it is any gesture or term, hence s6

I have plenty of luck with it because I make it clear at start that it is not tolerated towards me or club linesmen.
So if someone says to you 'oh wise up ref you roger hunt' but with a smile on their face is that ok?
Players, like children, like clear cut boundaries.

That's slightly different to what I've said but again, depends on the context and how I felt about the comment at the time as to what action i'd take.

But player's aren't children so shouldn't be treated like them.

Personally, I think you've done the right thing. By law, yes it's a red. But you allowed common sense to prevail. Players at that level have swearing listed as their second language. In regards to your match control, a straight red could have caused havoc, players at that level do not expect straight reds for the odd swear word, a yellow is understandable. Then for opposition you would have given them what they wanted by reducing the offending side to 10 men. Everyone can feel like they've not been hard done by and you retain your match control.

Personally, I think you've done the right thing. By law, yes it's a red. But you allowed common sense to prevail. Players at that level have swearing listed as their second language. In regards to your match control, a straight red could have caused havoc, players at that level do not expect straight reds for the odd swear word, a yellow is understandable. Then for opposition you would have given them what they wanted by reducing the offending side to 10 men. Everyone can feel like they've not been hard done by and you retain your match control.

Here we go. So because of "match control" you are going to invent your own laws?

If LWR sent off for S6 correctly, we wouldnt have the players that dont EXPECT a red for offensive insulting or abusive language!!!!!

Here we go. So because of "match control" you are going to invent your own laws?

If LWR sent off for S6 correctly, we wouldnt have the players that dont EXPECT a red for offensive insulting or abusive language!!!!!

Yeah, if you have no match control you're running a very dangerous game that could back fire and bite you in the arse.

If you want to give out 6 reds a game then so be it, you'll be crucified and hated at any level you officiate. Refereeing is just as much about common sense as it is following a set of objective laws.

Yeah, if you have no match control you're running a very dangerous game that could back fire and bite you in the arse.

Thats an excuse not to implement the LOTG is it? I assure you if everyone implemented it properly you wouldnt HAVE to play these games for "match control"

ITs the referees that DODGE the LOTG and make weak excuses like that that cause the issue in the first place!

I can't be bothered to argue. I thought it was a yellow c1AA. You disagreed said it was red s6. In your opinion I am wrong. I disagree, think I got it right... Agree to disagree on it @Padfoot??

FWIW sounds to me like you handled it well. They way you've described your thought process sounds pretty sensible to me, and the fact that you're going looking for alternative opinions is sensible too.

You were the referee, and it's your opinion that matters. I think you've handled this well. It's worth thinking about what the player could have done differently that would (in your opinion) have warranted a straight red, and also whether there are any circumstances where you might feel that you could have handled this with a last-chance telling off instead. That will help you prepare for dealing with this or something similar in the future.

For me though there's no need to second guess yourself on this.

If you want to give out 6 reds a game then so be it, you'll be crucified and hated at any level you officiate. Refereeing is just as much about common sense as it is following a set of objective laws.

Ive only had 1 S6 all season. Thats just chance that ive only had to deal with it once. To say it would be 6 cards a game is frankly ridiculous and a childish argument and once again, if referees dealt with OFFINABUS correctly in the first place, it would slowly peter off and you wouldnt NEED to send off very often at all as players would learn!

Ive only had 1 S6 all season. Thats just chance that ive only had to deal with it once. To say it would be 6 cards a game is frankly ridiculous and a childish argument and once again, if referees dealt with OFFINABUS correctly in the first place, it would slowly peter off and you wouldnt NEED to send off very often at all as players would learn!

So you're saying you've only heard a player swear in 1 of your 16 games? Likely...

So you're saying you've only heard a player swear in 1 of your 16 games? Likely...

Im done. You cant even grasp the basic concept of what I am saying, so Im not going to host a debate with you.

IVe never once said swearing. I am talking about OFFINABUS. Would you like someone to explain the difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back